Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Nothing special or rare here, one of those Taso Elba linen belted back sportcoats many Loungers were buying about a year ago. I got two for peanuts and I am quite happy with them (in particular for a 100% linen, half lined, belted and action back sportcoat for less than $40...).

Having some fun with the little guy at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel before a Christmas party.

379532518.jpg

379532562.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Derek!

Actually a shooting jacket not a sportcoat, but wait a shooting jacket is a sportcoat right ;)

Vintage British tweed, shoulder action pleats, belted back, big shell pockets, collar tab, all the bells and whistles for a day of shooting driven pheasant (weather permitting I'll try and wear it this winter for some birds).

391849182.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Vim,

Thanks for the kind words!

Macy's was selling them about a year or so ago on their website. Here's an old thread on them:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40861

I don't think they sell this exact model at the moment, but it seems most years in Macy's I see a similar (if not as nice) linen suit and sportcoat being sold. I tried on a 3 piece linen suit that was sold as separates a few months ago and it was pretty bad in terms of fit. It was more Saturday Night Fever than Great Gatsby...

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I just picked up this modern sports coat for $5 at one of our local thrift stores and I really love how it fits and looks.All I need to have done to it is have the sleeves taken up 1.5". Tag on the inner lining says DAVID TAYLOR.Anyone familiar with that make?

HMH

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/HosMan61/?action=view&current=DSCI0910.jpg

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/HosMan61/?action=view&current=DSCI0913.jpg

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/HosMan61/?action=view&current=DSCI0914.jpg

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Not enough credit to your curves ...

Griemersma said:
Blue SB. Pretty sure it is a sportjacket because it only has two buttons on each sleeve. Sometimes I think it looks a bit small. What do you think? I know the sleeves need about another inch or so:

IMG_4513rt.jpg

If I may: I looked at this photo for some time. From my point of view, the jacket needs wider shoulders, longer sleeves (as you mentioned), more room around the hips. You appear to have a gentle V shape torso, which is not emphasised properly with your jacket's current size/shape.

The style itself suits you well and you look 'natural' while wearing it. I like it, appart from the above mentioned. :)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Chasseur, I see, I'm just suprised to see someone like Macy's selling belted backs in this day and age, but hey, I'm just getting into this game, maybe they've been doing that all along since they opened.

Levallois

Practically Family
I couldn't resist this one even afer telling myself that I don't need another vintage sportcoat. It was that great windowpane pattern in the fabric. Photos of the overall outfit will follow once I receive the darn thing and have it dry cleaned but here is the teaser. It's supposed to date to the late 1940s-early 1950s?

Sportcoat.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Malibu Imperial

Not quite sure how to define this jacket. Dinner Jacket or Sportcoat?
5108325942_9545acdb8c_b.jpg

5107729627_ae0b238b19_z.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice!

I vote sportcoat. And that's the second besom breast pocket posted this month.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've never seen that type of lapel before. Sort of an upside down shawl/ peak. I wonder if it had an official name?

I picked this up today because it was inexpensive and so unusual. Never seen anything like it on a mens coat, and yes, it is men's. Buttons mens, cut like a men's jacket, proper sizing. Very strange. I won't even begin to try to put a date to it, other than that it's old.

It's 3 roll 2, made out of a heavy tapestry material. 3 buttons on the cuffs. Fully lined with two inside pockets. Single rear vent. Fake buttonhole on the lapel (not just not cut through, but the stitching's only on the front side of the lapel).
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And here I am, looking about as eccentric as they come.

The question is, what trousers does one wear with a bird and reindeer tapestry sportcoat made by a furrier? If only it was a full suit I wouldn't have to ask that question. lol

P1120008.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It actually looks much better on you than in the other pix. That said, it is giving me vertigo-like symptoms. And as far as trouser recommendations.....lol.....nobody will notice anything other than the jacket.....

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Dinerman, that is a fantastically surreal coat, well done.

In other news, I found and purchased a 100% Camel Hair sport coat today, it's new, but quite lovely. I will be sure to post some photos of it when I receive it.

A new one for me from a vintage shop here in London. At £24 this was a bit of a steal.

A bit long in the arms for me, but i'll have them taken up. Working cuff buttons is a nice touch on this [probably] late 30s sportscoat. It has a centre vent in the back, one of the few 30s jackets I have with a vent. Lovely rust herringbone fabric & 3 patch pockets on the front. The jacket was made by Drapeshire Clothes. "Styled for Al Stein, Baltimore". It has the original owner's name "Berger" hand written on that white tag you can see near the centre seam on the inside.

Drapeshire1.jpg

Drapeshire2.jpg

Drapeshire3.jpg

Lovely caramel coloured buttons.
Drapeshire4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace