Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't doubt that your jacket is vintage. Elastic was in used back then, albeit relatively limited.

edit: bah, I see I'm waaaay too late for this party.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Early 1950s Saks 5th Ave. rayon sportcoat
401129709.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Just arrived from eBay. 1940's pinstripe db jacket. I believe this may be a wartime jacket as it has a synthetic feel to it. It'll need a good cleaning and have a button or 2 added. At first it seemed that it was missing the two buttons that the left side latches on to, but apparently one had been put behind the left lapel. There was also another non-matching button placed under the right collar. Either someone used this jacket for sewing practice or wanted to start a new trend in jacket design.
CIMG2663.jpg

CIMG2664.jpg

CIMG2666.jpg

CIMG2667.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nice and rather rare 1950's German houndstooth sportcoat with functional bi-swing back (no belt). Apart from the size (far too large for me, about 22" across the back) it has a number of other issues: The lining is torn near the collar and would need mending; a little torn spot at the bottom hem; some soiling to the inside of the collar's fold-line (and what appears to be some slight overall yellowing, even though I find it hard to tell if the lighter color in the pattern might always have been that sort of beigeish off-white or not). If it was my size I'd definitely give it to a professional cleaner (preferably Stu at RaveFabriCare, who should be able to handle this kind of stuff) for a good two-stage (first water-based, then dry) cleaning and professional pressing. The color is pretty hard to capture from a distance, the last four close-up images show the color more accurately. Considering that those jackets have become a rarity by now it's a really sad thing that it's not my size (getting rid of the listed issues would be pointless for me).

1950's-German-Houndstooth-Sport-Coat-With-Bi-Swing-Back.jpg

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I don't think so. I'm not really sure but I've seen some images of similar German sporcoats dating from the 1950's. The have become pretty rare items by now.

As I said before this one reminds me of my bi-swing tweed jacket - which also dates back to the 50's, even though it reminds me of some 30's jackets (thunderw21 has a beautiful 1930's tweed jacket which looks a bit smiliar in cut, even though the lapels on mine are slimmer).

My 50's jacket.

1950's-German-Tweed-Sport-Coat-With-Bi-Swing-Back.jpg

thunderw21's 30's jacket.

sportscoat.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i like that back treatment !
well i would say that as its the same as my linen NRA: ;)

linenSBbeltback.jpg

(i need to re-photo this one for the 30s suits thread... that is the photo the seller took years ago)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, the tie is Palm Beach brand.

Thought that much. I've once seen a batch of similar Palm Beach ties (most of them in rather subdued colours, just the way I like them) last year on Ebay but had at that time just bought my Palm Beach suit and was out of money. The only PB ties I've come across since then were of the rather bright, colourful and checkered variety; they actually reminded me - in a scary way - of some of my mother's tablecloths from the 70's.

Looking at all those jackets I've fallen in love with recently I have to say that my preferences have changed. For a long time I preferred 3-button jackets but now I'm favoring a 2-button closure (just like on that linen jacket of yours).

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I really don't know what to make of this one, but it was interesting and the price was right.

Du-Val Toronto (Durable Values, est. 1924)
Styled by Devonshire Toronto

No vent, wide '40s style shoulders, link-button closure, no inside pockets, old-style label, no breast pocket. Fully lined, with taped seams on the insides of the patch pockets. It's like a '40s-'50s shawl collar tuxedo jacket meets a '40s-'50s casual jacket. Except it's brown corduroy. Hmmmm.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
That is a wacky jacket - it looks like a smoking jacket for a professor of forestry or moose studies or something equivalently rustic and Canadian.

EDIT - on re-reading, my post may sound anti-Canadian. This is an illusion, however. I have taken my vacation in Maritime Canada for 9 of the last 11 summers - I am a true Canada-ophile, or whatever the proper word may be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran