Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Here is couple of 6x3 jackets, both are propably ex-suit jackets. And those are short.

IMG_9206_zpsc8a491ad.jpg

Nothing fancy on the striped one, made by Tiklas in 30's? Company still exists but is ventured from retail to garbage business.
IMG_9208_zps5776fc00.jpg

IMG_9211_zps02c67d28.jpg

Placement of shoulder seams are nice and unfortunately pic doesn't capture the raised profile on the black stripe.

Other one is maybe bit older or atleast older pattern.I've heard that in Finland still in the thirties were tailors that were "wandering" around and searched customers from home to home. This could be made by one of those, just speculation but level of detail (or lack of it) would say it wasn't most expensive tailor :)

IMG_9207_zps6bc25b0e.jpg

IMG_9213_zps3ecf06cf.jpg

Jacket is really thick and there is no way that someone would wear it in summer. I use it as a winter jacket in it's own.. quite similar to peacoat I'd say.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting information on the "wandering tailors". In 20-40's Germany tailors complained about the "plague" of wandering door-to-door fabric sellers. :D

Quite notable that in Finland 6x3 buttoning seems to have been rather common.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Is the 6x3 button style on Finnish jackets something to do with cold weather? The higher the buttons, the warmer it keeps you.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Could be some cases, it can also be part of a habit since poor people weren't forefront of fashion.

Not many 2 button jackets here :)
service.cntum

No need for jacket when facing cold.
Savotta_6.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Well, the first group photo shows single breasted suits, and 3-button single breasted suits were pretty much standard in Continental fashion.
This photo could well have been taken in any other Central or Eastern European country.

BTW here 1938 pics of Finnish ready-made suits in the 2-button style:
http://www.arjenhistoria.fi/actions/viewimage.php?id=1002230&imgres=hres
http://www.arjenhistoria.fi/actions/viewimage.php?id=1002229&imgres=hres

It's the 6x3 double breasted jackets that are rather seldom... though they certainly also existed elsewhere, as can be seen from US, British or German illustrations. Their relative frequency in Finland may well have to do with the climate.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Propably climate and era. I have few catalogs from laterpart of the thirties and don't remember any having 6x3 anymore.

Older people and or countryside favorit. :D I put the first pic to show that three button closure were standard and maybe that echoed to DB's too. Too scientific and no proof thou :D

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
The only thing pointing me to late 20s was the shoulders. I too am not well versed in the vagaries of 20s men's fashions. Leyendecker (and ilk) illustrations are always so extreme and unreal-looking that I find it difficult to use them as a reliable date guide.

bk

My 1926 dated DB suit has shoulders like that and the lapels are pretty modest too, maybe this jacket is mid-'20s.

This is awesome, Gianfrancesco (i'm trying to get the thread opened again that you started!). I love the lapel shape, and the fabric is killer.:eusa_clap To put photos in your post, take the web address of the photo and put it between the image code

Thank you a lot Baron Kurtz for your reply. It would be great to have our own thread open so that we could post some more news there if you like.
Ciao!

dsc00180.jpg

Check more pictures of this overcoat at our own website: http://muselladembech.wordpress.com

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
that's a beauty I wish it were my size!.........Here's a Magee in a Donnegal dog tooth check I picked up this weekend, don't think there's too much age but it is classically styled, the cloth is absolutely beautiful and all the jacket is in as new condition, one pocket was still sewn shut the other had been undone a bit.....it is a little tight but I've put 6 or so pounds on over christmas and if losing that fails then hopefully it can be let out an inch or so? it's a generous 40" and I am a 42";
rqztxw.jpg

21ovkhs.jpg
v489id.jpg

1zx5nbl.jpg
2551afc.jpg

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
here's the label's( which I forgot to post), I have to admit that I know little technically about cloth.
I love tweeds and this one I believe is unusual as it has the dogtooth thing going on and various coloured flecks in it also!
1zqewzd.jpg

25i0yms.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I am always learning on here BK, I really like the texture and complexity of tweeds which is why I have loads of sports jackets coats, suits etc in the various 'tweed'cloths, I also like wool and silk which is why I've started collecting ties in predominantly silk and or wool, happily ties/cravats are far easier to store than clothing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk