Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Metatron

One Too Many
Just bought this on ebay, love the colour and the fact that it's Greek (like me). Described as a late 1940s jacket. Accurate? Deadstock.

KGrHqRHJFEFCcKWTQFBQqPtnsZRQ60_57_zps2e67a9b1.jpg

KGrHqZk4FB090bV4BQqPtugvt60_57_zpsbb2ef05e.jpg

KGrHqNksFB1ZKFFFrBQqPt1sbnQ60_57_zps524a8f59.jpg

Measurements seem borderline too small for me, but the tag reads 52 which I presume is the size, and the European equivalent to a 42, so here's hoping that it's just right.
We'll see when it arrives. If it's too small I will put it up for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great jacket Metatron. :eusa_clap I thought about bidding on it... I have a weakness for more "exotic/rare" origins of jackets. A labelled Greek sports-jacket - Wow! While the style certainly goes for late 1940's, my gut-feeling told me 1950's... may have to do with the "loud" pattern, welted chest pocket and long lapels looking rather "fancy" and "up to date" for a civil-war era Greek off the rack jacket. [huh]
Can you maybe translate the label?

Best Regards

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Very good point about the civil war. This is what the label says:

Ready Clothing
Luka bros
Solomon 17- Phone: 70.073
Factory Balaoritou 39 Salonica

Maybe the five digit phone number can help us date it.
I'm gonna have a hard time de-deadstocking it if it fits!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Elastically gathered backs apparently were very popular in Germany/Central Europe while AFAIK being very uncommon in the US and UK. At least I have never seen (personally, on photos or illustrations) an American/British example.

I kind of like how a sportive back is achieved without much effort by the mere addition of an elastic strip. :eek:

I also recall a sport coat featured on the FL with a rear half belt complete with buckle and straps!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Very good point about the civil war. This is what the label says:

Ready Clothing
Luka bros
Solomon 17- Phone: 70.073
Factory Balaoritou 39 Salonica

Maybe the five digit phone number can help us date it.
I'm gonna have a hard time de-deadstocking it if it fits!

That makes me think of being in Salonika back in the mid 1980s. I can just remember streets full of second hand clothing, racks and racks hanging off the shop fronts. If only I'd known then what I know now!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elastically gathered backs apparently were very popular in Germany/Central Europe while AFAIK being very uncommon in the US and UK. At least I have never seen (personally, on photos or illustrations) an American/British example.

I kind of like how a sportive back is achieved without much effort by te mere addition of an elastic strip. :eek:
Apparently they were common in Finland too. That's were I just got my new favourite country suit from.Thanks to sproily.
Pics after Christmas. We are too busy right now.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I remember that one now. Its a super (pronounce with posh Viennese accent) sport coat! I wish more of these would show up in 44... the only 1930s sportcoat I own is the one I got from you a year or two ago and its wonderful!

400939399.jpg

400939398.jpg

Here it is with a tie I got off you as well ;)
400018176.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
The winter wonderland tie! Great ensemble; I'm still in search of a 1930s houndstooth belted back that fits me!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You guys are killin' me! It's been 100 degrees on average here the last couple of weeks, and there you go looking all sharp and sporty in your way out beltbacks and killer patch pockets! I'm all revved up and inspired to dress up, but it's Aloha shirt weather here for another three months yet . . .

Metatron

One Too Many
My Greek Sport Coat arrived. I really like it. In particular I love the construction of the shoulders. A pleasant surprise was the chest pocket flap which was folded away in the seller's photos. The pocket lining has a strange pattern which looks like an imprint from the plaid shell. Odd. There is no overlapping fabric on the cuffs, just three buttons sewn on for show. No back vents.
Now concerning the fit: Strangely, while it feels tight around the shoulders, my arms have no mobility issues, I can swing them around in any direction without lifting up the jacket much. Must be down to the tailoring of the armholes. It's definitely on the short side. What do you think, acceptable skinny fit, or just too small overall?

Photoon2013-01-10at00303_zpsaaba8e99.jpg

Photoon2013-01-10at00313_zps465cecf3.jpg

Photoon2013-01-10at0032_zpsc2288e99.jpg

Photoon2013-01-10at00322_zpsdfbd5a4a.jpg

Photoon2013-01-10at00325_zps9170a242.jpg

Photoon2013-01-10at0036_zpsaab81af3.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Looking good! It looks certainly more 1930-40's than on the ebay photos.
The buttons are not that deep-set as the photos first had me believe.

Also the chest pocket flap looks great, as do the shoulders which with the shorter fit give a 30's impression, although the skirt is a bit very much on the short side...

For comparison here a similar German sports coat from 1939:
kar.jpg

Personally I would definitely extend the sleeves by letting out whatever fabric there is in the inlay (if necessary sewing on a strip of fabric on the inside. This would be accommodated by the fact that there is no overlay at the sleeves - they are "tube-like" as you indicated.

Together with high-waisted flannel slacks, this would look perfect.

You got a very good deal there. If you think it is too snug or have doubts about the sleeves... I'd love this jacket. ;)

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Meta, i think it's a bit too short in the body overall, and the sleeves are at least an inch and a half too short.

sleeves often can't be extended without leaving a visible fold line. 70 year old edge creases can be virtually impossible to press out, depending on the fabric of course (looser woven tweeds being easier). if the crease is visible after pressing i would advise not to do it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I thiink the flap on the breast pocket really works on that jacket. It improves it. I agree with Fastuni - let down the sleeves.

As for the length of the jacket: yes it is shorter than is normally recommended. However, I recall a number of debates on jacket length (including photos of Dwight Frye's jacket in the 1931 Dracula) showing how jackets were often worn quite short in the 1930s. I watch lots of period films (mainly British) and regularly spot shorter than 'normal' jackets. Personally, I have relatively short legs so a shorter jacket prevents them from looking too short.

My feeling is this: If you are happy with the length of the jacket, that is all that matters. It may not correspond to 'the rules' (whatever they may be) but so what? If it's comfortable and you like it, that is the only rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo