Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
You mentioned that you didn't quite know where the inspiration for those lapels came from-how did you specify them? Or is it a standard shape that Bookster offer?

It isn't a standard style. On my previous jacket I sent photos (taken from the FL) showing the style of lapel I wanted. They made a brilliant job of recreating them. This time I asked for the same lapel, but it appears they added more 'belly'. So it wasn't exactly what i had asked for, but I actually prefer them. So let's call it an inspired error!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think they look good on this jacket becasue of the patch pockets. I'm not sure they would work so well on a suit jacket. I think the informality might be incongruous.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
A question for those more knowledgable than I. I have never worn tweed sport coats for casual late afternoon wear, is it considered appropriate? Typically, for me, tweed represents out of door daytime wear.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
HBK & Mario: Yes, the lapels are rather unsual. They weren't quite what I was expecting. The previous jacket they made for men had a lovely, broad but straight peaked lapel. I saw this and thought 'They look odd!'.

Then I tried the jacket on and immediately fell in love with the lapels! I thought to myself 'They look continental' but don't have any reference points for why I would say that.

I'm just waiting for someone to post pictures from a vintage brochure proving 'That's exactly how Spanish tailors cut lapels between 1928 and 1931.' (Oh, where is Mr Chevalier when you need him?)

It also occurred to me that one of Matt Deckard's early Deckard Apparel suits has similar lapels. I hope Matt doesn't mind me re-posting this picture from his Deckard's Guide blog:

DSC01654.jpg

Perhaps he can chime in regarding the inspiration / origin of this particular dramatically curved, heavy bellied lapel.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I thought it looked a little more opulent and 1930s with a dash of 1800s.

Something a bit different than this straiter 1930s Gable look.

Which, as dressy as it is... has a more modern relaxed feel with the straiter lapel.

7144378_1_l.jpg

Also, a bit of curve helps me draw attention from the fact that I don't have the Gable physique.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A German summer sports coat, late 1930's, made of apricot-white cotton fabric with darker "sprinkles". Elastic waist at back and stonenut bowl-buttons.
It was offered as a "RAD (Reich Labor Service) Uniform" jacket (of course it is not). :p It was also badly wrinkled and quite dirty... but a good wash and ironing brought it back to life...

SAM_3427.jpg

SAM_3429.jpg

SAM_3428.jpg

SAM_3430.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Elastically gathered backs apparently were very popular in Germany/Central Europe while AFAIK being very uncommon in the US and UK. At least I have never seen (personally, on photos or illustrations) an American/British example.

I kind of like how a sportive back is achieved without much effort by the mere addition of an elastic strip. :eek:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nice front and curious to see a elasticated back plus half-belt. Rather odd.

You mentioned it as possibly being a reproduction...
it somehow strikes me as being Continental/German in appearance.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni, when i owned that jacket i hadn't really seen anything similar. i've since seen several German jackets with elasticated waist and similar cut so it could very well have been German.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn