Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Donegal sports coat #2. This one in a darker brown and black basic weave with orange, white and red confetti. This one is significantly more elaborate, with the red confetti creating an overcheck (which is visible in the full length shot) and random orange and white confetti. I suspect this to be later 1940s, or even 1950s based upon the fact that the flecks are arranged into a design.

DonegalSports3.jpg

Fabric close-up, and you can see the red confetti forming the checks.

DonegalSports4.jpg

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Awesome BK!

Baron Kurtz said:
Donegal sports coat #2. This one in a darker brown and black basic weave with orange, white and red confetti. This one is significantly more elaborate, with the red confetti creating an overcheck (which is visible in the full length shot) and random orange and white confetti. I suspect this to be later 1940s, or even 1950s based upon the fact that the flecks are arranged into a design.

DonegalSports3.jpg

DonegalSports4.jpg

bk

Jack the Lad wore a great Donegal in the Two Jakes.

Why oh why are Donegals so boring these days I ask?

Feraud

Bartender
herringbonekid said:
Baron, what makes you think the grey one is a sports jacket and not an orphaned suit jacket ?

very nice jackets by the way.

I was going to ask the same question.

This material is an absolute beauty.
Baron Kurtz said:

DonegalSports4.jpg

bk

LawrenceWayne

New in Town
Hi, this is my first post here, and I must say I am really enjoying this thread. I really love the coat that looks like the one Grant wore. My grandfather had a sportcoat like that, but I have no idea what happened to it. I have about five tweed sportcoats, all in varying sizes because my weight constanly fluctuates. I need to work on a decent wardrobe. Keep posting these gorgeous coats, they are truly enjoyable to see.

Errr, there's no grey one. A blue one, a brown one, and two donegals (both brown).

which one do you mean, hbk/feraud?

That dark brown Donegal is great, ain't it? Unfortunately it has basically no hip allowance, though so it's tight as a corset through my protruding ass, and no back seam to alter (oddly constructed 1-piece back panel).

bk

Ah.

The union label does say "Union Made Suit" so i guess there were trousers (and probably a waistcoat) at some time. What a bummer. Though i'm not sure i would wear a light blue 3-piece suit like this (a grey, i'd jump a the chance, but not light blue). Whereas i happily wear this as a sportscoat.

It's a sportscoat now, at least.

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
there ARE striped sports coats of course when you get into collegiate territory. but they tend to be the sort of stripes you'd never see on an entire suit. i don't have a problem myself with mis-matched suit jackets. i remember a photo somewhere of Wildroot in an orphaned turquoise pinstripe DB with white trousers, and it looked good, but there are those who always see a pin or chalk stripe as missing its other half.

And one i sold a while ago. I don't recall who bought it from me, but someone here. It was about size 39-40.

Good God i gave people some fine deals in the classifieds. More to come!

Baron Kurtz said:
Well, the latest offering from the wardrobe of Kurtz is this wonderful tweed sportcoat from the 30s/40s. (I'm not exactly sure, but i'd put my money on late 30s/early 40s.) It is a light brown variegated herringbone with a lovely blue windowpane overcheck, though from a distance it looks like a wide-spaced pinstripe. There are sever existent pics of Gary Cooper wearing an extremely similar jacket on a visit to a navy boat.

Front, back and side views. 3 button Sb notch lapel

Carson1.jpg
Carson2.jpg

Carson5.jpg

Is skeleton lined in peach-salmon pink satin with taped seams. Lining has issues, however - some detachment, some tears, some major tears. nothing that would prevent wearing it.

Carson4.jpg
Carson6.jpg

Cuff buttons, showing detail of the weave and pattern:

Carson3.jpg

And two nice touches: The thread to hold your buttonhole flower stem in place, and a fabulously constructed change pocket inside the right hip pocket. Typically these are formed by sewing in an extra slice of lining into a crude cup shape. As you can see, this one is infinitely more elaborate:

Carson7.jpg
Carson8.jpg

bk

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Ah.

The union label does say "Union Made Suit" so i guess there were trousers (and probably a waistcoat) at some time. What a bummer. Though i'm not sure i would wear a light blue 3-piece suit like this (a grey, i'd jump a the chance, but not light blue). Whereas i happily wear this as a sportscoat.

It's a sportscoat now, at least.

bk

Why not BK? I think that striped coat would make such an outstanding suit! Beautiful fabric! I would wear a three piece like it in a flash! ;)

FM~

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I have a morbid fear of appearing flamboyant. Sharp is fine, but flamboyant just ain't me. I fear that light blue would appear a bit too much for me.

bk

Oh, where I'm from flamboyant is dressing with sequins and super short shorts and neon colors... also, a lot to do with their personal attitude and speech. lol

A three piece suit in a light color wouldn't come across as flamboyant to me... again; a light blue coat with cream trousers would seem rather light colored any way yes? :p Think about it. lol

And I say it with the most respect,

FM~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk