Show off the sports coats.

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Matt Deckard, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Donegal sports coat #2. This one in a darker brown and black basic weave with orange, white and red confetti. This one is significantly more elaborate, with the red confetti creating an overcheck (which is visible in the full length shot) and random orange and white confetti. I suspect this to be later 1940s, or even 1950s based upon the fact that the flecks are arranged into a design.

[​IMG]

Fabric close-up, and you can see the red confetti forming the checks.

[​IMG]

bk

2. I notice a general trend in sports coats to forego pocket flaps.

bk

3. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Awesome BK!

Jack the Lad wore a great Donegal in the Two Jakes.

Why oh why are Donegals so boring these days I ask?

4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I was just going to ask if there were none or you'd tucked them in.

5. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

Baron, what makes you think the grey one is a sports jacket and not an orphaned suit jacket ?

very nice jackets by the way.

6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I was going to ask the same question.

This material is an absolute beauty.

7. LawrenceWayne

LawrenceWayne New in Town

Hi, this is my first post here, and I must say I am really enjoying this thread. I really love the coat that looks like the one Grant wore. My grandfather had a sportcoat like that, but I have no idea what happened to it. I have about five tweed sportcoats, all in varying sizes because my weight constanly fluctuates. I need to work on a decent wardrobe. Keep posting these gorgeous coats, they are truly enjoyable to see.

8. Errr, there's no grey one. A blue one, a brown one, and two donegals (both brown).

which one do you mean, hbk/feraud?

That dark brown Donegal is great, ain't it? Unfortunately it has basically no hip allowance, though so it's tight as a corset through my protruding ass, and no back seam to alter (oddly constructed 1-piece back panel).

bk

9. herringbonekid

the stripey one. the thinking is that striped sport coats didn't exist because they looked like suit jackets sans trousers.

10. Ah.

The union label does say "Union Made Suit" so i guess there were trousers (and probably a waistcoat) at some time. What a bummer. Though i'm not sure i would wear a light blue 3-piece suit like this (a grey, i'd jump a the chance, but not light blue). Whereas i happily wear this as a sportscoat.

It's a sportscoat now, at least.

bk

11. herringbonekid

there ARE striped sports coats of course when you get into collegiate territory. but they tend to be the sort of stripes you'd never see on an entire suit. i don't have a problem myself with mis-matched suit jackets. i remember a photo somewhere of Wildroot in an orphaned turquoise pinstripe DB with white trousers, and it looked good, but there are those who always see a pin or chalk stripe as missing its other half.

12. Here's the last sportscoat currently in my possession. A black/grey/white houndstooth. 100% cashmere from Saks 5th Avenue, probably late 60s and the worst constructed piece of garbage in my wardrobe.

[​IMG]

The fabric:

[​IMG]

bk

13. And one i sold a while ago. I don't recall who bought it from me, but someone here. It was about size 39-40.

Good God i gave people some fine deals in the classifieds. More to come!

bk

14. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I too was referring to the striped one.
    Thanks for the clarification.

15. Forgotten Man

Forgotten Man One Too Many

Why not BK? I think that striped coat would make such an outstanding suit! Beautiful fabric! I would wear a three piece like it in a flash! ;)

FM~

16. I have a morbid fear of appearing flamboyant. Sharp is fine, but flamboyant just ain't me. I fear that light blue would appear a bit too much for me.

bk

nobody else got any sportscoats? hbk i know you've got some. Feraud? Senator Jack?

17. herringbonekid

i don't think i've got any that i haven't posted already in other threads. i used to have a lot of 50s flecky ones before i realised that their shape didn't suit me at all.

18. Forgotten Man

Forgotten Man One Too Many

Oh, where I'm from flamboyant is dressing with sequins and super short shorts and neon colors... also, a lot to do with their personal attitude and speech. lol

A three piece suit in a light color wouldn't come across as flamboyant to me... again; a light blue coat with cream trousers would seem rather light colored any way yes? :p Think about it. lol

And I say it with the most respect,

FM~

19. Alan Eardley

Alan Eardley One Too Many

I have lots, but I don't have a digital camera...

Alan

20. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Forgotten Man, I think we're all getting really anxious to see some of your collection. Let's see those coats! :)