Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Great coat, Johnny. Love twill-weave tweed. An unusual effect. Nice find!

Thank you! Twill is pretty wide compared to another one I have:

20170130_103103_zpsuaslp92v.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I had a hard time finding a similar blue leather button since the bottom front button was missing but I finally found one; just need to sew it on.
Finding a matching button for a jacket or coat can be a real pain. I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a couple of coat buttons and I can find the right profile, but then the wrong color or pattern. Or the right color and pattern, but not exactly the right profile. Oh well, the hunt goes on.

Michael

Metatron

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket. You know you spend too much time searching for vintage when you remember other people's finds being on ebay!!

Vintage Everyday, honestly, don't hold your breath. I am a size 41 and 1930s stuff is hard to come by. It's either a matter of searching for hours to score one incredibly badly described, badly photographed listing to get a bargain, and that's a rare thing indeed, or you spend some serious money and buy stuff from the professional vintage merchants on ebay or etsy.

1950s clothing however is more plentiful, and relatively often available in larger sizes. It's not all Elvis rock n' roll stuff, the early 50s were of course a continuation of 1940s styling, and much of it is quite classic.

I could send you some links to harris tweed jackets from the 50s in your size which pop up from time to time.

Last edited:

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Actually, if you are between 39 and 44 there are rather enough of possibilities. Maybe not earlier pieces (but those don't come often in any size) but at least nice stuff from 50s and 60s is common. I've seen a reasonable number of larger pieces too, but in the last 2 months I've seen very few nice pieces under a size 38, even from 60s.
I'm still looking for a plain conservative navy suit from 50s or 60s in size 36, go figure fancier things!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've been buying a few jackets here and there, some on ebay and some at the local Goodwilll store. I picked this one brown one up on ebay and paired it with a kind of peach shirt and a dark brown Penneys Marathon fedora. Not good on dating jackets but I don't imagine it's any older than 1980s- 1990s. The Marathon was advertised as a 1950s version.

i-cmmgtzg-X3.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I've been buying a few jackets here and there, some on ebay and some at the local Goodwilll store. I picked this one brown one up on ebay and paired it with a kind of peach shirt and a dark brown Penneys Marathon fedora. Not good on dating jackets but I don't imagine it's any older than 1980s- 1990s. The Marathon was advertised as a 1950s version.

i-cmmgtzg-X3.jpg
A great look for you Doug. Great jacket and hat combo for sure.

Michael

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm just a little timid about posting my new-ish jackets amongst all these great vintage coats!

This is an Alan Flusser jacket with miniature herringbone pattern that simply looks grey at any distance at all. It's very lightweight being a blend of linen and wool. I imagine I'll wear it a lot this spring.

BabyFed and I on our way to her Saturday morning Kung Fu class.

i-73d8BQZ-X3.jpg

Flusser

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No need to be nervous when you're posting jackets like those mate. i like the linen fleck in the Flusser jacket. Nice to see the young 'un taking after her Dad and sporting some fine headwear.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is also in the Stafford/JC Penney thread... a fairly decent sports coat, a lighter 65/35 blend of polyester/wool that should wear about like stainless steel mesh. It's marked as a Stafford Options jacket and I grabbed it for $9.99 at Goodwill. I can't tell that it's ever been warn and see no blems anywhere. I bought it as a go anywhere casual jacket, but it looks ok with a RL Polo button down shirt and an Italian made Valentino silk tie.

Oh, the hat is a 50's Royal Stetson that Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works refurb'd for me. I kept the original ribbons and sweatband; only the liner was replaced as someone had replaced it with something too small previously.

i-PqkTRgw-XL.jpg

Reactions: Hal

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
Somehow I never feel that smooth silk ties work with 'tweed'. A silk pochette perhaps, but if I wear a tie with tweed it's generally a silk-knit or something in wool and often plain, since the jackets already have a lot of pattern going on.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Somehow I never feel that smooth silk ties work with 'tweed'. A silk pochette perhaps, but if I wear a tie with tweed it's generally a silk-knit or something in wool and often plain, since the jackets already have a lot of pattern going on.
I feel the same. I was taking a shot at branching out today. I think the tie goes better with the top coat...

i-fBtgqZp-L.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
While there are comparatively smooth wool ties as indeed there are relatively rough-textured silk ties, I strongly agree on both points; and I don't wear more than two patterns at once.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Not a good shot, really, but I've been excited to wear my new to me Donegal Tweed jacket I got from tweedydon here on the FL.

I'm still working on matching ties as I've never owned tweed before, and I was literally working up a sweat trying on 4 or 5 ties by the time I stopped at this one, so it'll just have to do for today.

i-VdCMBfR-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk