Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Great find, Dostioffsky! Pretty timeless cut. The liner material doesn't look too modern, but I wouldn't know how to narrow down the late 30s to 50s timeframe. Very nice shoulder, too.

If you want to unload it, let me know. :) You take a size 36 or 37, too, don't you?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nice. I estimate late-40's to mid-50's in a very classic cut. I would guess post-CC41, so probably 50's.
Long lapel roll and this type of micro-pattern was popular then. Also the font and design of the label.

If you intend to keep it Dostioffsky, I would definitely let out sleeves to the max.

IMG_7258_zps3c577664.jpg

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Thank you for helping date it. I had early forties in mind mainly because of the suppressed waist. It's interesting to learn these more subtle clues to dating a jacket! (with my graphic design background, I do agree the typeface looks more modern)

Great find, Dostioffsky! Pretty timeless cut. The liner material doesn't look too modern, but I wouldn't know how to narrow down the late 30s to 50s timeframe. Very nice shoulder, too.

If you want to unload it, let me know. :) You take a size 36 or 37, too, don't you?

Yes, the shoulders are really nice. Very firm and structured, even though there is very little padding. I think i'd be willing to sell it. It's a really nice jacket, but a bit too 'classic' for my tastes. I am indeed about a size 36. I'll send you a message with the exact measurements.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Dostioffsky.

My gut feeling told me 50s due to the label font and design, too, but wasn't quite sure. Also, once in a while you come across pre-war labels with a surprisingly modern look to them; I guess I haven't seen enough of those to rule them out. It's always good to get your input, Fastuni and HBK.

The suppressed waist really makes for a timeless cut. Without seeing the inside of the jacket it looks like any highly conservative tailor from the 30s on could have made this coat. Well, maybe except in the 70s/80s ...

Metatron

One Too Many
Here is a modern jacket I bought on sale, by Italian brand Royal Hem.
It does seem as though wide lapels on their way back to the mainstream.
These are some of the most exaggerated ones I've seen on a modern jacket.
The roped shoulders are an interesting way of giving an un-padded shoulder that 'this is an important, masculine human!!' effect.
These elements, combined with the short length create a somewhat quirky, but in my opinion not unflattering impression.
I've learned that being tall does not necessarily mean one requires a long jacket.
I actually have a long torso which means a slightly shorter jacket is proportionate on me.
As you can see from the full length shot, while the jacket is shorter than ideal, it does not make my legs look unnaturally long.

I've left the tags on just in case you don't approve of it. ;)
What do you think?

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
At first, when I only saw the picture and hadn't yet read the text, I assumed that it was a vintage jacket. That said, I approve of it. ;)

I love the lapels, and roped shoulders are always nice. I can't help but wish, however, that it was longer. As you say, it's not too short, but a little bit longer than the sleeves would probably be preferable. Is there any material to let out?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Great shoulders, great lapels. it does look a touch too short, especially the sleeves. I would see about letting them down. Maybe its the trousers that make the jacket appear too short. There appears to be a stitched line across the thigh (pockets maybe?). I those lines weren't there, maybe the eye wouldn't be drawn to that area and one wouldn't notice the length.

The material on that jacket looks outstanding - great texture and great color. Also, I love the Fair Isle with it in the first photo - that looks like a beautiful sweater.

Metatron

One Too Many
At first, when I only saw the picture and hadn't yet read the text, I assumed that it was a vintage jacket. That said, I approve of it. ;)
I'm glad. ;)

As you say, it's not too short, but a little bit longer than the sleeves would probably be preferable. Is there any material to let out?
There is, but that's also another tailoring expense to add to the list!! Right now I'm telling myself: people wore it like this in the 30s, and also it's trendy right now! (not the best excuse, but whatever works to stop me spending)

Maybe its the trousers that make the jacket appear too short. There appears to be a stitched line across the thigh (pockets maybe?). I those lines weren't there, maybe the eye wouldn't be drawn to that area and one wouldn't notice the length.
Yes, those are patch pockets on the trousers. You are right, it might look more proportionate with pleated trousers.

Great shoulders, great lapels. it does look a touch too short, especially the sleeves. I would see about letting them down.
While the body is obviously on the short side, I am surprised you think the sleeves are short, as they cover my wrists?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner