Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
Just purchased this one on the 'bay. Claims to be a 20s or 30s jacket but looking at some details like the short vent and the lapels makes me think 50s or 60s. Still, the HF label is different looking than a few HF jackets I have from the 50s.

1sq8naY.jpg

CVCtRjO.jpg

pmBDdE2.jpg

LnBhLr4.jpg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I saw that one too, and I think that it's actually older than the 20s. The very high buttoning point makes me think edwardian.

EDIT: I'll happily buy it from you if you change your mind. :)

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Check out the backwards sloping angle of the shoulder seams; this detail indicates a much earlier construction date than the 1960s, '30s or even '20s. However, the smoking gun is text of label. Hickey Freeman dropped the ampersand from its name sometime before WWI.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a very nice sports coat. It may be older than the 1920s, an antique in fact, yet it would still work with modern clothing. The detail of shorter rather than longer vents is something I like. Could it be 1890s or 1900s?

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
Wow, awesome! Here I thought it might have been a 60s jacket :p But then the sack jackets of that time have their roots with old turn of the century jackets. Thanks for the clarification, guys.

And Papperskatt, if I'm dissatisfied with the jacket you'll be the first to know :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Nice! I wish one of my tweed sports coats had the same button feature on the vent, as it sometimes flares out too much. I think that double vents are much better for me.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Jacket arrived today! :eeek:

nice jacket. IMHO it needs to be worn with the right accessories of it's era, to get the best out of it.

I think that it's probably meant to only be buttoned with the top button.

in this photo:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?75566-Suits-Pre-1920&p=1817052&viewfull=1#post1817052

... the jackets are being worn in virtually every buttoning configuration you can imagine.
i don't think that those early 1900s jackets were cut to be worn with only the top button fastened; rather, the fastening of the top button only was simply a faddish way of wearing them.

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
in this photo:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?75566-Suits-Pre-1920&p=1817052&viewfull=1#post1817052

... the jackets are being worn in virtually every buttoning configuration you can imagine.
i don't think that those early 1900s jackets were cut to be worn with only the top button fastened; rather, the fastening of the top button only was simply a faddish way of wearing them.

Good point.

However, at least some jackets were indeed designed to be buttoned only at the top button, as showcased by 509 in this illustration (albeit from 1918).

20140127143121_14.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
interesting... i wonder if that's because it's for 'stout' men ? it still appears that the rest of the buttons could easily be closed.

here's another wide-spaced-button jacket with all buttons fastened:

01_zps70332b0f.jpeg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
it still appears that the rest of the buttons could easily be closed.
I think that's comparable with modern suit jackets. The bottom button can easily be buttoned, but that doesn't mean that it should as the jacket is designed for it to be left open.

Another example of a wide-spaced 3 button jacket worn with all buttons closed:

winstonchurchillwithhis.jpg
(A young Winston Churchill with his mother)

With that said, I now retract my statement that it should be worn with only the top button buttoned. Wear it however you think looks best. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner