Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Metatron

One Too Many
A question for you.
The advise you see online all the time about jacket length is, it should fit in your hands when you cup them at your sides.
Now, I am usually happy with a shorter jacket as long as the sleeves are long enough.
However I recently had the opportunity to buy two identical sports coats(cost of the second jacket being less than alterations to the first) one in 40 regular and one in 40 long, so we can make a direct comparison.
Excuse the 'just seen a ghost' expression. :eek:

The second one is in what should be my size and passes the hand cup test.
But while I like the length of the sleeves, the extra coupla inches or so in the body makes the jacket look a bit unhip and ungainly to me.
It is also my impression that in the 1930s jackets were worn a bit shorter than the 'hand cup' test warrants.
It might be that I will keep the first one and have the sleeves lengthened after all.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I'd say the first one has a more 1930s fit, while the longer one looks more modern. The second one, to my eye, does not look too long, but of course it's hard to judge from just one photograph.

Metatron

One Too Many
You have all confirmed what I was thinking, to stick with the first one and get the sleeves lengthened.
Thank you!
Agreed about rigid rules not taking into account the individual.

a3uze4e6.jpg
asyhebup.jpg

Here's one I fished out of the 'bay recently. Curlee sportswear, I'm guessing early 60s, maybe 50s. I'm not over the moon about 3 button models, but I'm pretty fired up about this jacket. I wear a 48 long, so I don't find a lot of vintage that fits me.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

6aqyteju.jpg
apyqa5ej.jpg

I found this one about the same time. It's not vintage, 90s I'd guess, but I'd been looking for a decent tweed jacket, and the price was right. When it arrived I was surprised that it's made of camel hair. It's the first one I guess I've seen that wasn't a solid color. It'll be nice when the weather cools back down.

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
Good finds dh66. Good texture and color on the second jacket, it will serve you well.

Today I received this NRA era sport jacket :)

ijLET3v.jpg

Hs6hhB8.jpg

iiIRKDc.jpg

Someone let it all out so it fits like a sack, but a trip to the alteration shop should do the trick.

Claudio

Vendor
You have all confirmed what I was thinking, to stick with the first one and get the sleeves lengthened.
Thank you!
Agreed about rigid rules not taking into account the individual.

As stated, both are ok IMO. However, if these are vintage or used, you may want to check if you do lengthen the first one, that there is no sign of the older seam once its taken out. Not all cuffs are easy to let out (especially if they are working cuffs) so something to think about. Another thing to keep in mind is that you always want some cuff to show, thus although the first one is very slightly short, the second one needs some shirt cuff showing and so I would say that one needs either a longer shirt cuff or needs taking in :)

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
a3uze4e6.jpg
asyhebup.jpg

Here's one I fished out of the 'bay recently. Curlee sportswear, I'm guessing early 60s, maybe 50s. I'm not over the moon about 3 button models, but I'm pretty fired up about this jacket. I wear a 48 long, so I don't find a lot of vintage that fits me.

This one jacket of yours seems to be really great, the colors should very much support a variety of pants and shirts to look well with it, and it does have that vintage look in a very appealing way.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'm going to sell this U.S. jacket soon... anyone care to guess the date ?
i originally thought mid-late 30s, but the shape also reminded me of some of the jackets Joaquin Phoenix wears in 'The Master' which is late 40s:

(it's been pressed to 'roll' to the middle button by the previous owner, but i'm pretty sure it was made to fasten at the top button)

_1020718_zps793076aa.jpg

_1020719_zpsd58c5a16.jpg

_1020720_zps701585ba.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Does it have labels of any kind?

I think the shape is very much late-30's to mid-40's.
Wartime catalogs have a lot of these bold-checked woolens (which were more easily available than worsted).
For (typical) late 40's the waist is nipped too much.

That's a very snappy jacket herringbone kid. Great colors and weave. I imagine it's probably too small for me (48long, 50long in most vintage) but I really like the look of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24