Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your Porkpies

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First attempt at a porkpie rebash, a Portis sourced from Ande yesterday.

Before (ebay pic):

9ad8_1.JPG

Now:

p1012737ot6.jpg

AlanC

GWD said:
Looks Great! Nice job!

Thanks, and thanks for the good suggestions. What I ended up with isn't really a good example of your approach in action. I think I would need to lower the crown more so I would have more to work with for the interior telescope. For now I think I like this, but I might change my mind later.

I've come a long way. I used not to care for porkpies very much.

bolthead

Looks good Alan....

AlanC said:
Thanks, and thanks for the good suggestions. What I ended up with isn't really a good example of your approach in action. I think I would need to lower the crown more so I would have more to work with for the interior telescope. For now I think I like this, but I might change my mind later.

I've come a long way. I used not to care for porkpies very much.
I like a tapered/rake Pork Pie. I put one in 3 of mine. what's the height in the front of yours?

Bingles

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a good brand they recommend for porkpies? I purchased a Bailey porkpie last month, and it looked ridiculous on me. The shape and brim size were all wrong... made me look like the Joker from Batman.

MAB1

Suspended
I know...

Gene Hackman was brilliant in, "The French Connection."

But, he looked like an idiot in that Porky Pig hat.

I could not wear one if my life depended on it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
tandmark said:
I'm just wondering if folks are aware that Buster Keaton's account of how he developed his style of porkpie is online. It doesn't look like the Lounge allows the kind of word search that would find any posts mentioning it, unfortunately. So my apologies if I'm the last person here to know of its existence.
Here's the link: http://www.busterkeaton.com/howto.htm
Cheers,
Mark

Fascinating! Thanks, Mark. :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I've been working on this one for several days. It was given to me last year. (A standard black Resistol fedora, with a center crease, a pinch front, and an underwelt edge.) There were significant moth bites on the top of the crown, and they would not sand out. So, I took the whole thing apart, soaked it real good, turned it IN SIDE OUT, reblocked it, and put the sweatband back in. It's now a pork pie with an overwelt edge. I also discarded the wide black ribbon, and used this braided leather band from a cowboy hat.

P1050429.jpg

P1050428.jpg

AlanC

Okay, the Lincoln one cracks me up.

For those hesitant to wear porkpies I will tell you that I felt similarly not too long ago. I warmed to them, but what put me over the top was this Astaire photo and hat:

astaireyn9.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Okay,
These ought to stir GWD up a bit...

Stetson Gun Club (gray)
125-2539_IMG.jpg
[/IMG]
125-2542_IMG.jpg
{IMG]

Dobbs Game Bird (brown)
125-2543_IMG.jpg