Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us the food dishes you've prepared.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Darhling said:
I made coconutcookies and danish 'havregrynskugler' which is oatmeal, chocolate, sugar, coffee, rum and lots of butter rolled into small balls and covered in suger.

Foto81.jpg

:eek:fftopic: Could you PM me the recipe for 'havregrynskugler'? They look fab... I hope you were wearing a vintage pinny! :D

sixsexsix

Practically Family
we really need to have an "i made this" food thread where we share recipes.
:eusa_clap
maybe its been done?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I made coconutcookies and danish 'havregrynskugler' which is oatmeal, chocolate, sugar, coffee, rum and lots of butter rolled into small balls and covered in suger.

Foto81.jpg

When I saw your pictures, I ran to the kitchen and made havregrynskugler, then I ate way too many and felt bad about it. lol
They are too easy to make and too easy to eat bunches of!
Oh, and I often add coconut to mine, it's lovely. Very easy to make, you just mix all the stuff together until it looks edible and formable to small balls.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix said:
we really need to have an "i made this" food thread where we share recipes.
:eusa_clap
maybe its been done?

I was just thinking that when I was desperately looking for a vintage pinny (I've a few but just can't find them - I keep making them BECAUSE I keep losing them!!)
I'm off to look for some fabric and a pinny pattern! lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Laura - Adding coconut is sooooo good, but I thought I would get coconut overload when I have coconut in the cookies.. I never make havregrynskugler, but when I doo.. I just munch munch munch!!

Warbaby

One Too Many
My mother made those - only with finely crushed vanilla wafers instead of oatmeal and bourbon instead of rum. Big favorite at Christmastime. And yes, I have the receipe if anyone wants it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I too thought this thread was going to be about vintage china, so I was searching for some photos of our table set with all of our Fiesta and restaurantware. lol

I cook dinner nearly every night, but bake maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Here's my most recent baking effort - Sprinkles chocolate cupcakes, made from the Williams-Sonoma mix. They were delicious!

2q0nko4.jpg

Naama

Practically Family
Darhling said:
and danish 'havregrynskugler'

QUOTE]

Oh! They are not really that danish, we have them over here as well, we call them "rumkugeln" what means rum balls :p But over here, we have quite a few different ways to make them! But sure, always with rum ;)

Naama

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
My mother made those - only with finely crushed vanilla wafers instead of oatmeal and bourbon instead of rum. Big favorite at Christmastime. And yes, I have the receipe if anyone wants it.

Yup, that tastes excellent too!

Recipe for havregrynskugler is simple:

Mix butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, oatmeal, coffee.
You can also add:
Orange juice in stead of coffee.
Desiccated coconut (which is the way I prefer them, lots of coconut!).
Rhum essence.

You just mix it all together with your fingers until you like the texture. Let it sit in the fridge for some time, 10-15 minutes or more. The reason you do this is that you need the butter to set and cool of before you roll it, otherwise you will have very greasy fingers.

Then you just take a bit of the mixture and roll it into a small ball with your fingers, I prefer to make tiny little balls, but some people prefer larger mouthfuls. You can leave them as they are or roll them in some icing sugar or coconut.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer

sixsexsix

Practically Family
i have a few images stockpiled from past goodies i have made:

banana-walnut cake, the best cake i have ever eaten:
IMG_0708.jpg

apple galette and a strudel
IMG_0139.jpg

chocolate cupcakes with buttercream icing:
IMG_0720.jpg

chocolate torte & chocolate mousse tarts:
tarts.jpg

assorted breads:
IMG_0108.jpg

i took baking as my (first) post-secondary, so i have a bit of practice.

i am going to bake some vegan pumpkin-spice cookies for a friend of mine tonight, which i know will be delish. :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
i will when i get home from work - it is all metric though, hope you have a scale!

I'm from Europe, so it should be fine. I'd love to see more of your favorite recipes!

Sweet Leilani, the upside-down cake is looking good, lucky you to have such a pan! And your kitchen too, love the curtain!:

100_1026.jpg

This thread is quickly becoming my favorite!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
banana layer cake w/ german icing

cake (yield one 9" cake):

pastry flour 115g
shortening 75g
---
brown sugar 110g
white sugar 110g
salt 2g (tiny pinch)
baking powder 5g
baking soda 2g (tiny pinch)
pastry flour 70g
skim milk powder 5g
water 65ml
---
2 lg eggs
2 medium to large size bananas

1. put 1st section in mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes on slow-medium (on my kitchenaid it is number 3)
2. sift the bp, bs, smp and flour and add to section 1. also throw in sugars and water. beat on medium for 3 min (number 5 on a kitchenaid)
3. scrape bowl and mix another minute or so on slow.
4. slowly add eggs
5. add mushed up banana and mix for 2 more minutes on slow. then put it to high for about 30 seconds to make sure everything is nice and mixed and there arent any lumps
6. bake at 375F (approx 250 celsius) for 20-30 min until cake springs back when touched in center

icing:

85g butter
200g sugar (white)
1/2 can of evaporated milk (approx 190 ml)
5ml vanilla
3 egg yokes
170g flaked coconut (you can toast this beforehand if you want - very yummy!)
55g chopped walnuts

1. whisk together yokes, vanilla and 1/4 of the milk, set aside
2. melt butter on stovetop, stir in sugar and rest of milk, bring just to a boil
3. pour small amount of the butter/milk mixture into the egg mixture, slowly adding and whisking the whole time. this is to avoid having scrambled eggs!lol
4. once that is all mixed, pour it back in the pot and cook on med stirring constantly until the mixture starts to thicken.
5. remove from heat and add coconut/walnuts

in the photo i posted earlier i also melted some chocolate in a double-boiler and drizzled it on top.

i know this recipe is long and messy, but it is seriously sooooo delicious. i hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass