Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us the food dishes you've prepared.

Taggert

Familiar Face
have to agree with Scotrace , this thread will be the death of my diet...lol

Lovely recipes all! (I'm especially fond of that torte and mousse tarts)

sixsexsix

Practically Family
vegan pumpkin spice cookies i made 2 hours ago:
DSC01025.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
i have a few images stockpiled from past goodies i have made:

assorted breads:
IMG_0108.jpg

i took baking as my (first) post-secondary, so i have a bit of practice.

i am going to bake some vegan pumpkin-spice cookies for a friend of mine tonight, which i know will be delish. :)

Everything looks wonderful! Look at that bread!
I really like your use of seeds and oats. Beautiful cuts and braids.:eusa_clap

Do you do sour dough?

I've been using the same homemade starter for the past three years. I plan to make pretzels with the dough that's proofing right now for Saturday.

If it's OK I'll be asking you for tips.:D

sixsexsix

Practically Family
thanks! i use sourdough sometimes, i have a love/hate relationship with keeping it alive. all those breads were made with fresh yeast, bought from a local bakery (I don't know if you guys have it in the grocery stores in the states, but in Canada you have to go to a bakery to buy it fresh).

Cuts are made using a replacement razor blade for an exact-o knife.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like! It will help me feel like my culinary degree isn't useless ;)

rumblefish

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
Feel free to ask me any questions you like! It will help me feel like my culinary degree isn't useless ;)

THANKS!

^ First one; sometimes I have dough rise beautifully, then flatten out all on it's own. Is there a common error that I'm missing? This is why I'm always afraid to slash the tops.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
when you say flatten, do you mean it deflates after proofing? you should proof in a warm, moist place (on top of the dryer, tv, or a warm -not hot- oven works well) and always slash post-proof right before you stick them in the oven. it could also be that you're not putting your salt in last, on top of all the other ingredients, which is killing your yeast. hope this helps! i have a couple of good sourdough recipes, i will try to dig them up over the weekend and pass them on.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
THANKS!

^ First one; sometimes I have dough rise beautifully, then flatten out all on it's own. Is there a common error that I'm missing? This is why I'm always afraid to slash the tops.

oh also i just realized could mean your sourdough flattening in the fridge? then you just need to adjust your feeding ratios. you should be feeding your dough and working the flour in (and water if it seems dry) once a week.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
"havregrynskugler"!!! We have it here!!! It's called "truffes au chocolat", and it is so yummy!! The last dessert I made was a tiramisu!!! It's easy to make!!
:p

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
sixsexsix said:
i have a few images stockpiled from past goodies i have made:

banana-walnut cake, the best cake i have ever eaten:
IMG_0708.jpg

apple galette and a strudel
IMG_0139.jpg

chocolate cupcakes with buttercream icing:
IMG_0720.jpg

chocolate torte & chocolate mousse tarts:
tarts.jpg

assorted breads:
IMG_0108.jpg

i took baking as my (first) post-secondary, so i have a bit of practice.

i am going to bake some vegan pumpkin-spice cookies for a friend of mine tonight, which i know will be delish. :)

I'm sooo impressed!!! wow!! Congrats you're very talented!!!

rumblefish

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
when you say flatten, do you mean it deflates after proofing? you should proof in a warm, moist place (on top of the dryer, tv, or a warm -not hot- oven works well) and always slash post-proof right before you stick them in the oven. it could also be that you're not putting your salt in last, on top of all the other ingredients, which is killing your yeast. hope this helps! i have a couple of good sourdough recipes, i will try to dig them up over the weekend and pass them on.

No, when it does happen it's at the end of the second rise. I always put coarse salt in while the dough is being kneeded.
It seems as though the dough is weak and won't take to rising tall. The last two were fine and I don't remember what I did specifically that may have cause it the last time this happened. Thank you again,:)

Chris M.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
pennycarrol said:
"havregrynskugler"!!! We have it here!!! It's called "truffes au chocolat", and it is so yummy!! The last dessert I made was a tiramisu!!! It's easy to make!!
:p

THAT sounds MUCH more elegant .. from now on that is what I will call them!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I wish I had pictures of the platter I made for a luau-themed party recently. I made sweet and sour meatballs, hollowed out 2 pineapples (added the pineapple meat to the meatballs as they cooked in the crockpot) and used them as serving bowls for the meatballs. I put the pineapple bowls on a big bamboo tray. Arranged tiki mugs of various sizes around the pineapple bowls and put dry ice in the mugs so that they had fog coming out of them. Put toothpicks for the meatballs in a little tiki shot glass on the tray, then filled in the empty spots on the tray with some tropical looking vines cut from a houseplant and some tropical looking flowers that I got at the supermarket.

I have a weakness for making kitschy food centerpieces. Last Christmas, I made a Christmas tree from a styrofoam cone wrapped in foil, meatballs, toothpicks and those little star shaped cheese snacks that you can get at the supermarket. I even wrapped little presents to put around the tree and put a vintage santa on the platter.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Crisplock said:
You are a cook after my own heart. :eusa_clap
What other things have you done?

:) Most of the time, I just look around my house and try to incorporate things that I already have. Last Halloween, I put a spider-web printed table cloth on the table and scattered fake autumn leaves on the table. For the centerpiece, I took a large vintage paper mache skull, cut some dead tree branches from a tree in my back yard and put the branches in the skull like a vase. I hung Halloween candy and little ghosts that I made from cheese cloth from the branches. Not much cooking was involved, but it still made a nice centerpiece.

One of these days, I'm going to get up enough courage to cook one of the jello montrosities in my depression-era Jello cookbooks. I think it would be pretty funny to take a salmon and pimento molded aspic on a bed of lettuce to a party and watch people's expressions of horror. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR