Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Chicago street full of lidded heads:
egEqQ1v.png

Chicago Sun-Times photojournalism department c. 1930s:
Cgxq9ZO.png

L - R: Pat Connell, Special Agent; William A. Pinkerton, one of the sons of the founder Allan Pinkerton; & Sam Finley, Assistant Special Agent; of the Southern Express Co., & the Pinkerton National Detective Agency. 1880.

IMG_3830.jpg

One of the methods of operation of the Pinkerton National Detective Agency was to send out requests several times a yr to all sheriffs & town marshals within 250 mi of Chicago requesting the Pinkerton's be notified of any person spending gold coins in their town or county. Then the Pinkerton's would sit back & wait for leads to come in. Allan Pinkerton even sent a request to the Texas Rangers once. There was no national mandate that any lawmen had to comply with these requests. The Pinkerton's were also known to use paid informants.

IMG_9175.jpg

DiamondJimLA

New in Town
As an afterthought to my post, it just dawned on me that great gramps was a "draper" (sometimes meaning selling fabrics but more often also meaning something like haberdasher). So he might have sold (and made?) hats as well! Wish I had more info and pics, but that is the only one and I found that in a book on the history of the somewhat small town my family hails from.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Hemingway wearing a slouch hat on safari in Africa:
Mfxo78v.jpg

Bandit's Roost on Mulberry Street by Jacob Riis (1888):
MWFrqJo.jpg

"Country Doctor" by W. Eugene Smith (1948):
mfyt9kP.jpg
I’ve always loved the Country Doctor photos and story. Sorry for the dumb question but what is the purpose of a slouch hat—I’ve always assumed it was so you could hoist a rifle or sword vertically but don’t really know. :rolleyes: Cheers, David

I’ve always loved the Country Doctor photos and story. Sorry for the dumb question but what is the purpose of a slouch hat—I’ve always assumed it was so you could hoist a rifle or sword vertically but don’t really know. :rolleyes: Cheers, David
Historically speaking, that's what I've read most, i.e. the brim was pinned or otherwise attached to the crown on one side so that it wouldn't interfere with any weapon normally carried on a strap or sling over the shoulder.

David J. Cook
1840 - 1907

Joined the Colorado Cavalry & entered the Civil War, 1861
Formed the Rocky Mountain Detective Agency, 1865
City Marshal of Denver, CO 1866 - 1869
Tracked down L.H. Musgrove (wanted for 12 murders) of the Musgrove-Franklin Gang in 1868, Wyoming.
Shot & killed Ed Franklin when Franklin came to Denver to break out Musgrove
Sheriff of Arapaho County, CO 1869 - 1873

Credited for making 3,000 arrests for bank, train & express company robberies.
Helped to quell the Ute Indian tribe revolt of 1878.
Arbitrator in the Leadville, CO mine strike of 1880.

Died in his sleep April 1907.

IMG_9464.PNG

IMG_9465.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 412601 View attachment 412602 View attachment 412603 View attachment 412604
Knights of the Realm: Top left: Sir Reginald Kenneth Dwight. Top middle: Sir Michael Philip Jagger.
Top right: Sir Thomas Sean Connery. Bottom: Sir Maurice Joseph Micklewhite Jr.

They are better known as: Elton John, Mick Jagger, Sean Connery & Michael Caine.
hon knight1.jpg hon knight2.jpg hon knight3.jpg hon knight4.jpg
What have these four Americans have in common, both with each other, and with the four Brits?

David Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower was an American military officer and statesman who served as the 34th president of the United States from 1953 to 1961. During World War II, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe, and achieved the five-star rank of General of the Army.

Leslie Townes Hope was a British born, American comedian, vaudevillian, actor, singer, dancer, and author. With a career that spanned nearly 80 years, Hope appeared in more than 70 short and feature films, with 54 feature films with Hope as star, including a series of seven "Road" musical comedy movies with Bing Crosby as Hope's top-billed partner.

Kevin Spacey Fowler is an American actor and producer. He began his career as a stage actor during the 1980's, obtaining supporting roles in film and television.

Steven Allan Spielberg is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He began his career in the New Hollywood era and is currently the most commercially successful director of all time. Spielberg is the recipient of various accolades, including three Academy Awards (with two for Best Director), a Kennedy Center honor, a Cecil B. DeMille Award, and an AFI Life Achievement Award.

They are, like their British counterparts, Knights of the Realm.

View attachment 413378 View attachment 413379 View attachment 413380 View attachment 413381
What have these four Americans have in common, both with each other, and with the four Brits?

David Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower was an American military officer and statesman who served as the 34th president of the United States from 1953 to 1961. During World War II, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe, and achieved the five-star rank of General of the Army.

Leslie Townes Hope was a British born, American comedian, vaudevillian, actor, singer, dancer, and author. With a career that spanned nearly 80 years, Hope appeared in more than 70 short and feature films, with 54 feature films with Hope as star, including a series of seven "Road" musical comedy movies with Bing Crosby as Hope's top-billed partner.

Kevin Spacey Fowler is an American actor and producer. He began his career as a stage actor during the 1980's, obtaining supporting roles in film and television.

Steven Allan Spielberg is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He began his career in the New Hollywood era and is currently the most commercially successful director of all time. Spielberg is the recipient of various accolades, including three Academy Awards (with two for Best Director), a Kennedy Center honor, a Cecil B. DeMille Award, and an AFI Life Achievement Award.

They are, like their British counterparts, Knights of the Realm.
Eisenhower LOVED hats!!! I have several pictures in my collection of Ike, with hardly the same hat shown more than once......he wore quite a variety of styes too......(some kind of goofy, but fit the occasion).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ