Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Legendary Texas criminal defense attorney Dick Deguerin.

Is this the Hemphill OR style?

IMG_2513.jpeg

IMG_2510.jpeg

IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

Last edited:

Yamahana

One Too Many
My father Aylett Erastus shortly after the war in Franklin AZ. Served as a B-17 tail gunner completing a tour of 36 missions. He was the old guy of his crew at the age of 28.
I had the opportunity to take a B-17 flight a few years ago. Overwhelmed with emotion, admiration and respect for all the young men who volunteered to serve and fly in these tin cans at freezing altitudes. A great and lost generation of men and women no doubt.
12038500_family166-4_1038.jpeg

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My father Aylett Erastus shortly after the war in Franklin AZ. Served as a B-17 tail gunner completing a tour of 36 missions. He was the old guy of his crew at the age of 28.
I had the opportunity to take a B-17 flight a few years ago. Overwhelmed with emotion, admiration and respect for all the young men who volunteered to serve and fly in these tin cans at freezing altitudes. A great and lost generation of men and women no doubt.
View attachment 518782

I really like this photo, I'm glad you reposted it. After his war service that grin is well-earned and seems very genuine! These folks were indeed the greatest generation.

Who?

Practically Family
Have you tried putting a handkerchief, or even a kleenex (generic term for items similar to a trademarked item) over the flash to soften and diffuse the light?

This one is Circa 1865. Love the plug hats and pipes. I like to collect photos of guys drinking and smoking, primarily before 1890 (so tintypes, cdv's and cabinet cards). Again sorry for the starburst but a flash provided the clearest copy..... View attachment 519595
Note the pants on the guy in the middle. Horizontal corduroy instead of wool? Just checked & corduroy dates back to the late 18th century.

Guy on the left has a large meerschaum pipe.

IMG_2524.jpeg

Note the pants on the guy in the middle. Horizontal corduroy instead of wool? Just checked & corduroy dates back to the late 18th century.

Guy on the left has a large meerschaum pipe.

View attachment 519605
Yes, corduroy was invented in France almost a hundred years earlier. It became quite popular in the mid-19th century over here for sporting, casual and work cloths.

As private purchase it became popular among several officers (of both sides) for riding trousers and coats.

General Buford of Gettysburg fame is even photographed such trousers.

General Meade too...

1684852915793.png

This is from a poem on railroad workers.....

"In eighteen-hundred and forty-one
I put my corduroy britches on,
I put my corduroy britches on

To work upon the railway."

Now I will say the horizontal cut of this man's trousers is unique.....;)

Yes, corduroy was invented in France almost a hundred years earlier. It became quite popular in the mid-19th century over here for sporting, casual and work cloths.

As private purchase it became popular among several officers (of both sides) for riding trousers and coats.

General Buford of Gettysburg fame is even photographed such trousers.

General Meade too...

View attachment 519627

This is from a poem on railroad workers.....

"In eighteen-hundred and forty-one
I put my corduroy britches on,
I put my corduroy britches on

To work upon the railway."

Now I will say the horizontal cut of this man's trousers is unique.....;)
It could be worsted wool instead of woolen, but worsted was much more expensive. And better fitting than woolen.

I have found scanners do not work well with tintypes and other 19th century photographs....somewhere I posted a side by side and the scanner picture was extremely washed out looking nothing like the original image.

Some of the tintypes especially are also delicate and cannot even be placed on a scanner without damaging them.

Taking the picture with the flash exhibits the detail and color of the original extremely well. I don't think I will go the mile an invest in expensive lighting and a proper camera.

I spent far to much on all this crap as it is...;)

TBT, from 11 years ago at the last FedoraFest held at Buckaroo Hatters in Covington Tn. The photo is from Beal St. in Memphis.
I spoke with Art Fawcett yesterday and he is doing well!
Talking with Art reminded me of this photo. View attachment 520198

I wish this would happen again. I'm close enough to travel to Covington. Did you all bring twenty hats with you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner