Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Jack was a better writer and told some neat stories too, although I never was as much a fan of his "small fast bullet" cartridges. I still have a huge amount of respect for him. I have a copy of his autobiography, "Horse and Buggy West", that I treasure. I read it in the high school library (!) as a young teen, and years later searched for quite some time to find an affordable copy of my own.

I would give a fortune to hear the conversations Jack and Elmer are having over their celestial campfire!

I think I gravitated to Keith because my father was such a fan of O’Connor. I still shoot Keith’s .44 Special loads by the wheelbarrow, but his magnum stuff is for those less recoil sensitive than me.

O’Connor was a professor and his better education helped him in his storytelling. Keith was a working cowboy and all-around laborer, so while his writing Isn’t as artful, his honesty and real world experiences struck a chord. Now that I’m a bit older I enjoy them both, and they both make wish I had lived in their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB Rader, probably the last legendary moonshiner. Shine on JB!

IMG_7835.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

7a2018088f45344b45f14dfefc869524.jpg

Expert sharpshooter and performer Annie Oakley comes out of retirement to
practice for the Fred Stone Circus and Motor Hippodrome at the Mineola Fair
Grounds, Long Island, N.Y., on July 27, 1922. Oakley performed in Buffalo
Bill's Wild West Show from 1885 to 1902. (AP Photo)

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Another pic from that 1922 Mineola Fair.

IMG_8030.JPG

And earlier during her time with the Wild West Show.

IMG_8029.JPG

Timothy John Fitzgerald McCoy (1891 - 1978).

When I was at Cheyenne Frontier Days this yr I enjoyed some Cowboy Poetry, some of which Tim McCoy was the subject of. So I wanted to know more. Movie star, Wyoming rancher, & a true Wyoming Gentleman. Still remembered & revered by Wyomingites today.

IMG_8219.JPG

IMG_8220.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

IMG_8229.JPG

IMG_8228.JPG

The AZ-Tex Hat Company makes a hat the call "The McCoy".
IMG_8223.JPG

RIP
IMG_8222.JPG

Thanks for that, HJ. One of the reasons I continue to stick around this place is the education. Don't recall ever hearing of McCoy. Those are some hats.
He was an officer in the military. He also ran once for the Senate from Wyoming.

The AZ-Tex hat would be similar to what we commonly call a Gus now but the dimensions appear to be bigger. More like a Tom Mix.

Felix Martinez Telles (Felix Ward)(Mickey Free) 1848 - 1914.

Kidnapped from his stepfather John Ward's farm at age 12 & raised Apache he became a legendary Army scout & bounty hunter. Multilingual in English, Spanish & Apache. Scouted for Al Sieiber along side Tom Horn in the capture of Chiricahua Apache Chiefs Geronimo, Chatto, & Loco.

IMG_8230.JPG

IMG_8233.JPG

IMG_8231.JPG

IMG_8232.JPG

Buckaroo Hatters makes a variation of the big brimmed sombrero-like hat favored in the SW in the 1870's - 1880's.

IMG_8224.JPG

Given the nickname Mickey Free while scouting for Sieber, he used it the rest of his life. Tom Horn wrote in his biography while in jail to be hanged that Mickey Free was a brave man. So was Tom.

Woodcuts of Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel (1848 - 1911)

Died from blood poisoning, essentially Gangrene that started in an injured toe. Folklore credits his dying words were, "Just one more drink, please."

View attachment 132457

View attachment 132458

That is a great woodcut, HJ. In the late 70's when I first moved to the Tullahoma/Lynchburg area there were still quite a few Motlows around, decendants of Lem Motlow, the nephew that inherited the distillery from JD. There was only one motel in Tullahoma at the time and it was owned by a Motlow. JD produced a Lem Motlow whiskey until the early 90's. Nastier than the green label stuff.
7c663d220e97894589c0eb11859206f9.jpg

That is a great woodcut, HJ. In the late 70's when I first moved to the Tullahoma/Lynchburg area there were still quite a few Motlows around, decendants of Lem Motlow, the nephew that inherited the distillery from JD. There was only one motel in Tullahoma at the time and it was owned by a Motlow. JD produced a Lem Motlow whiskey until the early 90's. Nastier than the green label stuff.
7c663d220e97894589c0eb11859206f9.jpg
Lem Motlow was smart in buying out the other nephew right away.

Never seen the Sour Mash before, that I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24