Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
The first movie I can recall seeing Mr. Brimley in was Brubaker (1980), but his performance in Absence of Malice the following year made me sit up and take notice. To a degree it set the mold for his portrayals of "no nonsense" characters throughout his career, but he plays those characters so well that it's always a pleasure to watch him.
"To a degree it set the mold for his portrayals of "no nonsense" characters throughout his career, but he plays those characters so well that it's always a pleasure to watch him."

I was going to try to say precisely that, but my English isn't good enough to describe it so well, so I gave it up.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
The first movie I can recall seeing Mr. Brimley in was Brubaker (1980), but his performance in Absence of Malice the following year made me sit up and take notice. To a degree it set the mold for his portrayals of "no nonsense" characters throughout his career, but he plays those characters so well that it's always a pleasure to watch him.
My favorie line of his was "Mr. Gallagher, are you really that smart? I seem to want to ask if you set all this up. If I do, you ain't gonna tell me, are you? No. You're a smart man, Mr. Gallagher. I'm pretty smart myself. Don't get too smart.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Oh yeah! How good was he with Selleck in "Crossfire Trail"? He's a favorite of mine.

And to have a pair of suspenders like the ones in the last pic. I'm in.
Loved that movie. They asked him in the movie why he carried that old Evans Repeater. He said something like "It holds 28 bullets and I'm not a very good shot". Great line.

Neat pics for comparison taken 10 yrs apart.

Forester, Chester & Lawrence Barr, grandsons of Jesse Woodson James.

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

Forester's hat is quite tall.

It was Forester's future wife Gertie when asked about divorces in the extended family would be quoted as saying, "Living with the ghost of Jesse James can be hard on a marriage."

Neat pics for comparison taken 10 yrs apart.

Forester, Chester & Lawrence Barr, grandsons of Jesse Woodson James.

View attachment 157125

View attachment 157126

Forester's hat is quite tall.

It was Forester's future wife Gertie when asked about divorces in the extended family would be quoted as saying, "Living with the ghost of Jesse James can be hard on a marriage."
They sure don't look like Outlaws.

They sure don't look like Outlaws.
Their parents were Mary (daughter of Jesse James & present as a child at her father's death) & Henry Barr. Each boy graduated high school. Lawrence married & had only one child (still living), & worked a full career as an accountant for Hallmark Cards in Kansas City. Chester (Chet) married & only had one child (not living), & worked his adult life mostly as an electrician.

Forester married but never had children. He was probably the most unsettled in life, trying various careers from electrician to photographer. I own some James family things purchased at his wife Gertie's estate sale ~1990. The things found in their little house & at the sale were amazing.

Their parents were Mary (daughter of Jesse James & present as a child at her father's death) & Henry Barr. Each boy graduated high school. Lawrence married & had only one child (still living), & worked a full career as an accountant for Hallmark Cards in Kansas City. Chester (Chet) married & only had one child (not living), & worked his adult life mostly as an electrician.

Forester married but never had children. He was probably the most unsettled in life, trying various careers from electrician to photographer. I own some James family things purchased at his wife Gertie's estate sale ~1990. The things found in their little house & at the sale were amazing.
Interesting tidbits of history, thanks Jack.

I'm a major history buff. Truth is stranger than fiction.
A tall tapered crown.

Taken on their wedding day Jan 24th, 1900, Jesse Edwards James (son of Jesse Woodson James) & Stella McGowan. Their marriage would produce 4 daughters. Jesse E. & Stella would divorce only to eventually remarry. In her memoir written after Jesse E's death Stella would deny they ever divorced but documentation proves otherwise.

IMG_1143.JPG

In the home as a child at the time of his father's death, Jesse E. struggled in life early as an adult. For a time he owned a cigar stand in the lobby of the Jackson County Courthouse. Thru his cigar stand & his father's notoriety he became friends with sons of prominent families including the son of Gov. Thomas Crittenden, who was instrumental in the conspiracy resulting in his father's death. Together they formed partnership in a film production company to exploit for profit the notoriety of Jesse Woodson James. Having no money Jesse E's investment in the partnership was to play the part of his father ("Under the Black Flag") with what he said were his father's guns. The movie failed miserably.

Jesse E. had been arrested & tried but acquitted for train robbery. He paid his legal bills by giving his lawyer several guns which he said were his father's. Sometime later he was involved in a car accident in a winter snowstorm with several guns in his car, which once again he said had belonged to his father. He was described as being "out of it" & was admitted to a psychiatric hospital for a short time for evaluation, which could have been a legal dodge orchestrated by his lawyer. No one seems to know where any of those guns are today.

For a time it seems that his fortunes might change when he settled down enough to attend law school. One of his clients early in his law career was Dr. Zeo Zoe Wilkins, who was somewhat of a scam artist herself (married 6 times; inventor of snake oil medical devices & procedures) who would become a murder victim herself (1924) at age 38, & is still the oldest unsolved homicide case in Kansas City, Mo. Little evidence or motive except for a missing safe full of diamonds & untraceable Liberty bonds. Jesse E. had been to his client's home, then later placed a call to her after the time of her death. To establish an alibi? Three different men were arrested but in each case charges were eventually dropped due to lack of evidence.

Jesse E. & family would move to CA where he would struggle to practice law until his death.

A tall tapered crown.

Taken on their wedding day Jan 24th, 1900, Jesse Edwards James (son of Jesse Woodson James) & Stella McGowan. Their marriage would produce 4 daughters. Jesse E. & Stella would divorce only to eventually remarry. In her memoir written after Jesse E's death Stella would deny they ever divorced but documentation proves otherwise.

View attachment 157226

In the home as a child at the time of his father's death, Jesse E. struggled in life early as an adult. For a time he owned a cigar stand in the lobby of the Jackson County Courthouse. Thru his cigar stand & his father's notoriety he became friends with sons of prominent families including the son of Gov. Thomas Crittenden, who was instrumental in the conspiracy resulting in his father's death. Together they formed partnership in a film production company to exploit for profit the notoriety of Jesse Woodson James. Having no money Jesse E's investment in the partnership was to play the part of his father ("Under the Black Flag") with what he said were his father's guns. The movie failed miserably.

Jesse E. had been arrested & tried but acquitted for train robbery. He paid his legal bills by giving his lawyer several guns which he said were his father's. Sometime later he was involved in a car accident in a winter snowstorm with several guns in his car, which once again he said had belonged to his father. He was described as being "out of it" & was admitted to a psychiatric hospital for a short time for evaluation, which could have been a legal dodge orchestrated by his lawyer. No one seems to know where any of those guns are today.

For a time it seems that his fortunes might change when he settled down enough to attend law school. One of his clients early in his law career was Dr. Zeo Zoe Wilkins, who was somewhat of a scam artist herself (married 6 times; inventor of snake oil medical devices & procedures) who would become a murder victim herself (1924) at age 38, & is still the oldest unsolved homicide case in Kansas City, Mo. Little evidence or motive except for a missing safe full of diamonds & untraceable Liberty bonds. Jesse E. had been to his client's home, then later placed a call to her after the time of her death. To establish an alibi? Three different men were arrested but in each case charges were eventually dropped due to lack of evidence.

Jesse E. & family would move to CA where he would struggle to practice law until his death.
Great story Jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points