Show us their hats!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Matt Deckard, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Independence, MO was a dangerous place back then. Near Independence was the last riverport at Sugar Creek & the Santa Fe, Oregon and California trails West left from Independence. All the wagon trains were outfitted & supplied at Independence.

On the Independence square was a waterwell where everyone got their water including the wagon trains. Although capped off the well is still there today on the courthouse lawn. A lot of gunfights broke out on the town square around that waterwell.

Bamaboots likes this.
  2. My maternal grandfather. Not a great pic of the hat, but it is the only photo I've ever seen of him. He died at age 69 in 1948 (stomach cancer) when my mom was 14. He would be about 25 in this photo. Believed to be at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. Almost all of the old family photos on my Mom's side were stolen (they were in a trunk at the house) while my Grandma's funeral was in process. Some were tossed out along the road as the thieves dug through the contents. My cousin colorized it...

Wellon_Rigsby.jpg

quikrick, RBH, johnnycanuck and 8 others like this.
  3. Looks like a nice hat. That's a shame about your grandma's photos, those are real treasures to have.

Zombie_61, BobHufford and M Hatman like this.
  4. Robert Sallee James (1818 - 1850)

Reverend, revivalist, one of the founders of William Jewel College (1849), gold prospector. Father of Alexander Franklin, Robert, Jesse Woodson, & Susan Lavinia James.

IMG_9967.JPG

IMG_9962.jpg

From a charcoal portrait owned by the family.

5. steur

steur

George Herriman 1880-1944
    Known for his comic strip Krazy Kat, by many considered to be the best comic strip of all time (I'm one of those many). Herriman was quite the hat-wearer and was known to never be seen without it in fact. Here's a sampling.
    George Herriman bowler.jpg George Herriman OR.jpg George Herriman-BeanieWalker-2-lo.jpg George_Herriman_and_fans.jpg george-herriman hats.jpg George-Herriman-San-Francisco-Examiner-Archives.jpg

6. JJ Katz

JJ Katz New in Town

Cool guys with cool hats. And it seems great to me that there are still folks using pack mules... :)

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Ringling Bros. performers. Smith Station, AL, 1929.
    000E32A1-E304-422A-ABF5-19AA876E60D9.jpeg

8. Got to love a man who wears his hat indoors at his desk. My kind of fella.

Now I’m off to google Krazy Kat.

steur, Zombie_61 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  9. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

“Now I’m off to google Krazy Kat.“

It just dawned on me how say, 40+ years ago, there seemed so many less really smart people.
    If you wanted to “check the facts” on
    something said, you were “off to the library”.

Aside: anybody notice the really creepy eye in Krazy Cat Pic #4??
    B

steur likes this.

10. I went back and saw that eye...creepy is right.

As a kid we had a set of encyclopedias at home and a dictionary that must have weighed 35 pounds. Now we have phones. ...progress??

Zombie_61 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  11. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Zactly...today we just have a bunch of Google backseat spell checkers.
    Hard to tell who is really smart and who just has the “I Google Well” t-shirt.
    Brains kept under your hat seldom sink ships.
    B

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  12. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I have now, thankyouverymuch. :confused:

13. steur

steur

Krazy Kat is worth looking into. The comic lasted because William Randolph Hearst liked it. His editors tried their best to bury it, but he wouldn't have it. He secured the comic's publication right until Herriman died. The comic wasn't continued after that. Not only because it was so unique, but also because it couldn't have been done by anyone else but Herriman (it never was). I believe Pablo Picasso was such a fan that he had an American friend telephone him weekly and have him describe the comic to him.
    Never noticed the "eye". That is spooky!

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  14. Took me a minute, but now I see it. Looks familiar...

upload_2020-8-16_6-41-50.png

15. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Opelika, AL early 1900’s. William Jennings Bryan, back passenger seat.
    C849ECF6-5D36-4DA3-A28C-C6AAA1FD6C34.jpeg

16. Is it just me or does it look like that rear wheel is leaning in?

17. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Does to me. Noticed it when I found the pic. Muddy ruts and chains on some narrow tires. Look at how intent the driver is on the task at hand.

AbbaDatDeHat and Hurricane Jack like this.
  18. Never noticed the chains or his "driving gloves". They look dirty; maybe he just put the chains on? If WJB has to get out & walk, he might get pissed.

Bamaboots likes this.
  19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Sort of looks it anyway. Just another fat politician.

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

What, pretending he's driving? That's a posed photo and I'd bet the engine wasn't even running.