Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Traces of Texas reader Charles Chaney saw a photo of Dallas socialite Inez Thomas posted on ToT and was so taken by it that he colorized it. This portrait was taken in the early 1920s in Washington, D.C. Prior to this she had represented Dallas as the "Duchess of Dallas" at the 1916 San Antonio Fiesta.

Inez Thomas.jpg

Wow, never saw that one before. A Good book on Bonnie and Clyde is "Go Down Together".
It's been a while since I've read it, but another good book on Bonnie and Clyde is "My Life With Bonnie and Clyde" by Blanche Caldwell Barrow, Clyde's sister-in-law (married to his brother Buck). She only spent four months with her husband as part of "the gang", but served six years in prison for "assault with intent to kill" the sheriff of Platte County, Missouri as a result of their association.

It's been a while since I've read it, but another good book on Bonnie and Clyde is "My Life With Bonnie and Clyde" by Blanche Caldwell Barrow, Clyde's sister-in-law (married to his brother Buck). She only spent four months with her husband as part of "the gang", but served six years in prison for "assault with intent to kill" the sheriff of Platte County, Missouri as a result of their association.
Good to know. Blanche had some eye problems stemming from the Platte County raid by the police.

I've never been much of a B&C aficionado. I should read some of those, as I haven't gotten much beyond Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Although "The Highwaymen" was very good.
Loved the Highwaymen!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I've never been much of a B&C aficionado. I should read some of those, as I haven't gotten much beyond Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Although "The Highwaymen" was very good.

Yes, "The Highwaymen" was a great movie - a nice break from all the fantasy action crap that's being produced these days.

Like you, I'm not a "fan" of Bonnie and Clyde, and certainly don't think they were heroes of any sort. You might still find "Go Down Together" interesting, though. It does tell the story of the couple, but included in all of that is an awful lot of background information about the conditions of the country and the people in that time period. There's quite a bit of insight into Frank Hamer's character, as well. And even though the book focuses on Bonnie and Clyde, it certainly does not hold them up as heroes or role models. If I remember correctly, at times it stops just short of calling them "murdering white trash", whch I think may be pretty accurate. At any rate, I thought the book was very well done.

Yes, "The Highwaymen" was a great movie - a nice break from all the fantasy action crap that's being produced these days.

Like you, I'm not a "fan" of Bonnie and Clyde, and certainly don't think they were heroes of any sort. You might still find "Go Down Together" interesting, though. It does tell the story of the couple, but included in all of that is an awful lot of background information about the conditions of the country and the people in that time period. There's quite a bit of insight into Frank Hamer's character, as well. And even though the book focuses on Bonnie and Clyde, it certainly does not hold them up as heroes or role models. If I remember correctly, at times it stops just short of calling them "murdering white trash", whch I think may be pretty accurate. At any rate, I thought the book was very well done.

When I was younger I romanticized the gangster criminals of the era, but had no fantasy they were good or worth rooting for. Since I was a lad in the 60s, and my father and I like to go to the drive-in, I was fed a steady diet of "Pretty Boy Floyd;" "Dillinger," with Warren Oates; "Bonnie & Clyde;" and of course the piece de resistance, "Big Bad Mama."

Since then, I've done some reading on the era and activities, but mostly through long news or magazine articles or analyses. I should pick up one of the books.

She only spent four months with her husband as part of "the gang", but served six years in prison for "assault with intent to kill" the sheriff of Platte County, Missouri as a result of their association.

Good to know. Blanche had some eye problems stemming from the Platte County raid by the police.
The location is near me. The cabins, the tavern & the nearby Castle were torn down yrs ago. The highways have been rerouted at least twice since then so most people don't know the actual spot where everything once stood. Even the public marker was erected in the wrong location in order to remain on public land. About the only thing still standing from that time is the Platte County Courthouse where Blanche was put on trial.

The original acreage was the site of new construction a few yrs ago in prep for a new bldg. It belongs to Farmland Industries now, their corporate headquarters. During the excavation people in the know were metaldetecting at night hoping to find something.

The original acreage was the site of new construction a few yrs ago in prep for a new bldg. It belongs to Farmland Industries now, their corporate headquarters. During the excavation people in the know were metaldetecting at night hoping to find somethin
Was headed that way earlier so thought I would pull off for a couple pics of the marker with my Stetson 7X Fifty.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Ya'll come back now ya hear?

Cinema pioneer George Méliès sporting a mean homburg.

georges-melies_gare-montparnasse-paris_1927.jpg

A colorized picture of him.
georg melies.jpg

Being unable to keep up with the rapid development of the film industry, he went bankrupt and worked in a toy shop on Montparnasse, Paris (picture below). Recognition for his work did follow in the late twenties and early thirties though and he received the French Légion d'honneur.
georg melies-la-montparnasse-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points