Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Photo from the Fort Stanton archives shows patients and staff in the 1920s. The fort was built in 1855 and, after being abandoned, in 1899, the US Public Health Service acquired the Fort as a tuberculosis hospital. Selected for its healthful climate in New Mexico, it served patients between 1899 and 1953.

Ft Stanton 1920's.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Between April, 1888 and February, 1891, eleven women were murdered in the East End of London, and their names were included in a police file that was officially titled, "The Whitechapel Murders." The more colloquial name of the atrocities was Jack the Ripper victims.

In the, made for TV, movie drama, "Jack the Ripper," the Late, Lewis Collins played the part of Sergeant George Godley. It's Collins/Godley's hat that caught my attention.
lewis collins fedora.jpg

The dates of Jack the Ripper's victims from first to last were: 3 April 1888 to 13 February 1891. The term fedora was in use as early as 1891. Its popularity soared, and eventually it eclipsed the homburg. The word fedora comes from the title of an 1882 play by dramatist Victorien Sardou, Fédora, which was written for Sarah Bernhardt.
Throughout the TV drama, Godley wears a Fedora, (assuming that it is a fedora.) So is Godley's hat a bit of poetic licence or could it have been possible that he would have worn such a hat? Remember, it wasn't until Edward, Prince of Wales (later the Duke of Windsor) started to wear them in 1924, that it became popular among men for its stylishness.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Everybody seems to be posting pictures from old shows. Here are some pictures from a modern show. The TV show Leverage featured its own share of hats, mostly worn by Timothy Hutton. Here are some of the hats:

The Episode from Season 3, The San Lorenzo Job, featured the most hats out of every episode. Timothy Hutton wears some pretty ridiculous hats here to pair with his equally ridiculous character:

The%20San%20Lorenzo%20Job%201.png

The%20San%20Lorenzo%20Job%202.png

The%20San%20Lorenzo%20Job%203.png

The%20San%20Lorenzo%20Job%204.png

This is Timothy Hutton's hat from a costume party in Season 4 dressed as Ellery Queen: World's Greatest Detective:

The%2010%20Lil%27%20Grifters%20Job.png

Here's Cary Elwes dressed as a Howard Hughes-inspired character for Season 5. The first picture features a Stetson Chatham in Tawny:

The%20%28Very%29%20Big%20Bird%20Job%201.png

In this next picture, he is wearing a Stetson Temple in Mink:

The%20%28Very%29%20Big%20Bird%20Job%202.png

In the final picture from this episode, he is wearing a Stetson Chatham in Mink:

The%20%28Very%29%20Big%20Bird%20Job%203.png

Last, but not least, is the Season 5 episode: The D.B. Cooper Job. Here, Timothy Hutton wears a fedora in a flashback/roleplay sequence as an FBI agent:

The%20D.B.%20Cooper%20Job%201.png

Not to mention the actor playing D.B. himself:

The%20D.B.%20Cooper%20Job%202.png

I can't identify most of these hats, other than the Temple and Chatham. However, I don't think this show went custom. I believe that these are all off the shelf hats.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Inspector Morse is a British detective drama television series based on a series of novels by Colin Dexter. It starred John Thaw as Detective Chief Inspector Morse and Kevin Whately as Sergeant Lewis. The series comprises 33 two-hour episodes, produced between 1987 and 2000.

Following the death of John Thaw, the producers decided to promote Sergeant Lewis and have Morse die just as his alter ego did. The series continued as, "Lewis," from 2006 until 2015. Those TV drama shows were very popular abroad as well as here.

You might like to know that there is now a prequel, a young detective constable Morse. The show takes Morse's first name: "Endeavour." The time line is 1965 to 1971 and very popular too, it's proving to be. Shaun Evans is in the title role, seen here beside John Thaw.
morse.jpg

In a passing nod to Thaw's memory, his daughter Abigail has the part of the local newspaper, The Oxford Mail's editor, her character is called
Abigail Thaw.jpg

Dorothea Frazil.

The part of the inspector that was once that of John Thaw's is now played by Roger Allam and a very good job of it he has made. His character name is,
Fred_Thursday.jpg

Fred Thursday.

You can see the transition from almost everyone wearing hats to the wane of hat wearing. It's most fascinating for those of us who lived through the period.

Inspector Morse is a British detective drama television series based on a series of novels by Colin Dexter. It starred John Thaw as Detective Chief Inspector Morse and Kevin Whately as Sergeant Lewis. The series comprises 33 two-hour episodes, produced between 1987 and 2000.

Following the death of John Thaw, the producers decided to promote Sergeant Lewis and have Morse die just as his alter ego did. The series continued as, "Lewis," from 2006 until 2015. Those TV drama shows were very popular abroad as well as here.

You might like to know that there is now a prequel, a young detective constable Morse. The show takes Morse's first name: "Endeavour." The time line is 1965 to 1971 and very popular too, it's proving to be. Shaun Evans is in the title role, seen here beside John Thaw.
View attachment 364088

In a passing nod to Thaw's memory, his daughter Abigail has the part of the local newspaper, The Oxford Mail's editor, her character is called
View attachment 364089
Dorothea Frazil.

The part of the inspector that was once that of John Thaw's is now played by Roger Allam and a very good job of it he has made. His character name is,
View attachment 364090
Fred Thursday.

You can see the transition from almost everyone wearing hats to the wane of hat wearing. It's most fascinating for those of us who lived through the period.
Fantastic series and very pleased there's a new season again. Never watched much of the original series for some reason, but this is a joy to watch. The setting is excellent and there's some fine acting on display all around. I particularly enjoy watching Roger Allam.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The setting is excellent and there's some fine acting on display all around. I particularly enjoy watching Roger Allam.
He certainly portrays his character in much the same way as was the period. A retired police officer and MG owner, that's how I know him, once said that Allam was so believable, he was reminded of a former senior officer with Allam's, Fred Thursday, outlook on life. He certainly wears that hat with panache.
Did you know that he actually wears glasses and he has had many a part that calls for a bearded actor.

roger allam.1jpg.jpg
roger allam.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko