Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
best on a dummy though; jackets on a flat surface can look a bit deflated and hard to discern the true shape of.
Yes, the photography style exhibits the possibilities of mixing various fabrics, textures, colors, etc... and not the particular cut or fit of a garment. Personally, I find perusing the suitings at a cloth merchant like W.Bill or the shirtings at a chemisier like Charvet much more stimulating than looking at various cuts and styles pinned to mannequins at a tailor's shop.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A few months back I posted a shot of Richard Attenborough's jacket from the film version of 'Brighton Rock'. Today, i found this fantastic view of the rear of the suit:
brightonrock-rearview.jpg

Whilst the jacket has a splendid back, and is much more exciting than the rear of the jacket he wore in the stage play in 1943 ...
Brightonrockplayrearview.jpg

... the suit worn for the stage version was made from a fantastic cloth (much more 'over the top' than in the film) ...
brightonrock-play.jpg

brightonrockplaydetail.jpg

Here is Attenborough in a tailor's shop in London's East End being fitted for the suit:
brightonrockplaysuitfitting.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the name of the tailor. Apparently there wasa feature on the stage show in 'Picture Post' some time after march 1943, so if anyone has copies from that period, have a look and see if the name of the tailors can be found.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is the pleating on the first jacket similar to rudie's? I haven't seen any version of brighton rock and can't help you with the question but the suits look really amazing.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
...check out the tie style, with the clip pushed right up so the tie sticks out. i've tried a slightly less severe version of that myself on occasion.

I've also tried to get that look - it never seems to be succesful. I think you need a very tight knot in your tie to hold it so perfectly.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Forgive me if someone has already posted this somewhere. But it's just something I ran across and thought it might be of interest here: Bogart's navy pinstriped suit from Dark Passage. It recently sold at auction for $1673, which seems rather cheap to me for a screen-worn suit of such a famous screen legend.

185561_10152051013935077_665603723_n.jpg
486466_10152051014375077_2116963389_n.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a very nice suit. $1673 does seem cheap, though.

If the suit fit anyone here, would you wear it, or treat it as too valuable, having belonged to Bogart?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Forgive me if someone has already posted this somewhere. But it's just something I ran across and thought it might be of interest here: Bogart's navy pinstriped suit from Dark Passage. It recently sold at auction for $1673, which seems rather cheap to me for a screen-worn suit of such a famous screen legend.

What was Clifton Young's line referring to the suit Bogey's wore in the film? "I saw your striped suit come out early this morning. I followed it to the diner. Brother, you're sure an amateur." ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I liked Willy Fritsch's suits in Spione (Spies) from Fritz Lang, 1928

This one I found amazing because belts weren't all that common on German suits in 1928. Also note the thin (and long) tie he's wearing.

willy_fritsch_spione_01-1.jpg

I like the cut of the lapel here:

willy_fritsch_spione_02.jpg

I really love his jacket and his hat in this scene. Also note the huge lapels on Craighall Sherry's overcoat.

willy_fritsch_spione_06.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The low waist and belt on his trousers really do make it look much later than 1928. With that thin tie, it could almost be 1958.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy