Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Qirrel

Practically Family
Curious. Although I have seen examples of square/heavily built up shoulders from around 1900, they were not as severe as this. However, the sleeve has a distinct 1900s look to it. The jacket also doesn't fit him all that well, which suggests it was not made for him. Still I'm not quite convinced it is an original.

Metatron

One Too Many
Here's a thought: Maybe it's a 1930s jacket altered into an approximation of a 1900s one?

I do remember reading somewhere, perhaps here, that the concept of seriously and thoroughly replicating the clothes from the era in a historical drama is relatively modern.

1920sman

New in Town
1920s look

Prefer this look myself. I have never liked the heavy and wide shoulders of later eras. Thanks for all these wonderful images. Just wish I knew where to get a narrow soft shouldered jacket made that actually fits like they used to back in the 1920s. I couldn't say now how many times I have tried to suggest this style to tailors who argue that no such thing ever existed, or that it is simply a modern cut with less padding. The photos say it all. But why can't I find a tailor who understands?

I've also noticed some (not all) of the shoulder seams from the early and mid 1920s don't lie along the top of the shoulder, but start at the neck where one might expect them to and then slope off the shoulder down the back joining the sleeve seam a couple of inches off the top of the shoulder. I'll try and find an image. But maybe others know what this is.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Just wish I knew where to get a narrow soft shouldered jacket made that actually fits like they used to back in the 1920s. I couldn't say now how many times I have tried to suggest this style to tailors who argue that no such thing ever existed, or that it is simply a modern cut with less padding.

if you can afford it you might want to go to Italy. loads of tailors there favour neat, unpadded shoulders.

I've also noticed some (not all) of the shoulder seams from the early and mid 1920s don't lie along the top of the shoulder, but start at the neck where one might expect them to and then slope off the shoulder down the back joining the sleeve seam a couple of inches off the top of the shoulder. I'll try and find an image. But maybe others know what this is.

the dropped shoulder seam is basically a hang over from the Victorian era, and fizzled out by the mid 20s in the US, and the mid 30s in the UK. i've heard a couple of different arguments for why the switch was made to the straight shoulder seam.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Have not watched the whole movie(it is on youtube), but it is set in 1900s London.
The outfit looks distinctly 1930s, though the jacket has four buttons.
I highly doubt it is period correct.
Is there a possibility that this jacket was custom made to look 1900s, but with the tailoring of the day dictating that nothing less than huge shoulders would do? ;)

That is likely, I see things like that all the time in these films.

One that really sticks with me are the suits in "Experiment Perilous" which takes place in the early 1900s. The men's suits have the lapels, high button stances, etc. that look appropriate to the era but they are have that early "Bold Look" with high padded shoulders etc. Makes them look very odd a sorta of a oxymoronic boxy Edwardian.

Experiment-Perilous-0300.jpg

19296%20-%20Experiment%20Perilous.jpg

As I thought. The 3-button tennis, cricket and boating blazer is awesome. I'm just starting the jacket of a 3-piece cotton suit (the cotton I sent the link to) for tropical climes (trousers and waistcoat done), and I think this is the one! Its a toss-up between that and the 4-button "Blazer Dia. 31" below it.

Baron, no but i assume they're inches (what else could 29.5 back be ?) ... dead easy !

Hi Quirrel,

That would be awesome. There are a few bits and pieces on the patterns (D? +V?) that I'm not quite certain about. Is there a sleeve draft that goes with these? From where do they originate?

I have the draft if you want it. The numbers on the diagrams are in inches for a size 36" (measured over the vest), so you could copy the pattern to another size with graduated tapes.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Much less flashy than Gianni. Wedding photos March 1957, your average British working class family:

MatureManssuit1957_zps4179010b.jpg

mensfashions1957_zpsda24090a.jpg

suit1957_zps939fb4dc.jpg

suit19572_zps53ebf776.jpg

half of these suits probably came from the Kays catalogue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24