Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Gianni Agnelli (later the head of Fiat), late 30s -early 40s:

gianni_agnelli_2_zps80dcae87.jpg

Interesting shirt cuffs.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Rudie, i'm sure you know; Agnelli is often cited as one of the most influential stylish men of the 20th century, especially among the Italian bespoke crowd. he had numerous personal quirks another of which was wearing his wristwatch over the shirt cuff (although i've seen that done in other 30s photos too).

edit... oops, bit of synchro posting there.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Much less flashy than Gianni.

i don't think of either of those two looks as flashy. to me they look sophisticated, and i'm impressed by how relaxed and casual he makes the DB look (as you know i have a bit of a thing about the DB's inherent stuffy formality). his personality shines through rather than the suits 'wearing' him.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great photos.

Do you think the buttons were that close to the pockets from the beginning?
I think they may have been moved apart to fit his very slim physique.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The unbuttoned toggle button on the DB jacket would seem to indicate that Agnelli was an ardent practitioner of sprezzatura from a very young age.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a date for this photo but I believe it is from the early 1950s:

Unknownwedding_zps9a544525.jpg

Not really suits, but these show the general look in the late forties and early fifties for working class British blokes (in their early twenties):

DadampArthur_zps610f300c.jpg

Dad0003_zpsfa346ea3.jpg

Dad0002_zps8502d23e.jpg

DadArthurampDon_zps9eef098f.jpg

DadandDon_zps7c70552a.jpg

not sure about these sunglasses!
DadampSisters_zpsc4227adb.jpg

(apologies if I've posted any of these before)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Cheers, AC. Those the days when a working man (my Dad - the one with the thick black hair - was a shoe repairer in the 40s and 50s) would still make an effort to look good.

How things have changed!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful photos TT!

The fellow in the middle... shirt&tie, light sweater with zipper and suit. Great combination of "smart" and "casual". Very much the look I'm going for in my everyday wardrobe.

DadampArthur_zps610f300c.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
His hair would make Jerry Lee Lewis in his prime go green with envy. ;)

Dad still had a good head of hair when he died (aged 81). There was a story about a student girl walking up behind him in a pub and ruffling his hair (the girls wanted to attract attention because they were collecting for charity). Everyone in the pub fell about laughing because, rather than fall back down again, his hair stood up on end and stayed standing up.

My hair was thick and strong, but never as thick as his:

sean2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would guess this is from the mid to late 1930s.

I love his suit. It looks to be a light coloured (light grey maybe?) summer weight suit with patch packets. The son's tie is rather nice as well. The soft, pointed collar shirt is also rather nice.

img011_zps4874b4d2.jpg

Oh, to find a suit like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy