Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
Mike Mazursky?
(I don't think we were meant to admire the suit. I think it was intended to play up his crass gorilla image.)
True. However, I would not want the Loungers to think it take snazzy dressing to cut it. A few gorillas and "down and outers" are needed to have a well rounded group. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fletch said:
Marc:
Who is the guy in your OP, in between the 1st and 2nd photos of Coop?
Equally important, who is that long lovely creature looking at him?

And is that Stewart in the polo coat with his face in shadows?

The guy with the lovely creature is unknown to me, although I've seen that photo often. It's from the early 1970s, believe it or not.

The shadowy guy in the huge-lapelled polo coat is none other than a young Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Gents!

Thought all your handsome fellas could use a shake and stir. ;)

Here's another suit from my collection. I honestly don't remember when I got it - 5, 10, 20 years ago? It's fantastic gaberdine from the 1930's and I've never worn it! I'm looking for buttons, and just posted a classified.

I also have the skirt, but it was hanging up so nicely from the cleaners that I decided to leave it alone.

Back to your usual single and double breasted suits....

Vintage Betty

lilli_ann_side_buttons_1.JPG

lilli_ann_side_buttons_2.JPG

lilli_ann_side_buttons_3.JPG

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
DB waistcoat

Baron Kurtz said:
DB waistcoats are quite rare. I've only ever come across one non-morning suit with a DB waistcoat - a British wartime number. See "show us yer suits III"

bk

I just bought a Gieves and Hawkes grey DB waistcoat in a charity shop in Glastonbury of all places for 4GBP. No suit to go with it but it will do for morning wear. First one I have ever seen... in a charity shop.

Alan

slacker

New in Town
slacker said:
Hey everyone.. Ive been lurking for a few days and I had some questions/comments. this thread looks like my best bet. And you guys seem like the right group of people to ask...

check out these photos of The Beastie Boys... they have completely transformed their onstage appearance during the last year... it all started at a show in Vegas, they took on the Rat Pack look and they play every show in their suits now...

can anyone tell me what kind of style they are wearing... I know nothing about dressing dapper, but there is something about these suits that do it for me... if I am going to buy a suit, this is what I want to look like when I wear it...

also, I like the skinny tie look as well... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

[/IMG]

throw me a bone here fellows

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Bump

this thread may have gone unnoticed to new members. it's a thread to post photos of inspirational and/or unusual suits of the first half of the 20th century as worn by the famous or not so famous.

here's Humphrey Bogart in a prince of Wales DB, and Edward G Robinson in something much stranger (1937):

Bogart_Kid_1937.jpg

(p.s. this photo should be bigger. if anyone knows how to prevent photos appearing here smaller than they are in photobucket, please PM me)

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bela

tumblr_lvshj51yqG1r7rx9ko1_500.jpg
6a00d83451d04569e2014e5f9435bb970c-320wi

PS: Short clip from "the black cat" (1934) with this suit. Terrifying overacting^^
[video=youtube;ST712qE6h68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST712qE6h68[/video]

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the 1920s is pretty much my vintage-muse-decade now; the years between the 'jazz suit' and the beginning of the wider legged broader shouldered suit...1922 - 27.
i think it was watching a 9 DVD box set of Harold Lloyd a year and a half ago that turned me on. the soft narrow shoulders, narrow flat front trousers worn off the shoe, the jazzy collegiate sweaters with bow ties, jazzy tweed fabrics... i love all of it !

Lloyd_1922.jpg

safety_last_1922.jpg

frat_men1924.jpg

(p.s. these photos should be bigger. if anyone knows how to prevent photos appearing here smaller than they are in photobucket, please PM me)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner