Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
how to dress a DB down; wear a flat cap with it:

cooper_DB_cap.jpg

That suit with flat cap is positively inspired. Wow!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That suit with flat cap is positively inspired. Wow!
You'll note he's on a ship. I imagine it was pretty standard to wear one on ship board to avoid the heartbreaking experience of seeing a nice fedora go flying off in to the briney deep. I have taken to wearing a flat cap whenever I see that the weather is going to be particularly windy.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
photo courtesy of FFF.
Not really. I was just reposting this... which is way to easy on tumblr.

I am getting more and more interested in some aspects of 20s suits...thanks to you. It certainly helps to be of a slim or sporty figure for wearing this style. I also think slightly "gimmicky" features (like the flap pocket in this picture) are a big plus. Without them one would end up to close to the boring ivy league style sack suit.

PS: Henry Hull in 1920.

tumblr_m1ijduhowy1qg8r34o2_500.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I also think slightly "gimmicky" features (like the flap pocket in this picture) are a big plus. Without them one would end up to close to the boring ivy league style sack suit.

look at these suit jackets that Harold Lloyd is wearing:

Lloyd1922peaked.jpg

Lloydhi-gorge.jpg

the narrow, tight, unpadded shoulder is far more extreme than on the 'sack' jacket, and the upper body would be very fitted.
add some high-gorge peaked lapels and you have a pretty quirky jacket.
but yes, there were some rather boring conservative styles in the 20s too....

sears_1923_a.jpg

notice that the angle of the collar edge on those jackets is about horizontal, or even down-sloping.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
notice that the angle of the collar edge on those jackets is about horizontal, or even down-sloping.

What I find interesting is that this image shows gentlemen with all 3 buttons fastened, the bottom two buttons fastened, and even only the very bottom button fastened, which I thought was very strange when I first saw it on a vintage photograph, but I guess it wasn't all that uncommon.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
On those Victorian and Edwardian era jackets with four buttons buttoning only the top button was also fashionable (or at least done often in photographs and paintings).

419px-Pearce_Bartlett.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The reason I asked about the date was that i have this photo, with a very similar tie/collar combination. I believe this dates from about 1914 (he died circa 1920 from wounds he got in the war)

ErnestWoodard.jpg

ErnestWoodardpincollar.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
these men are probably French, going by the wording on the back of the postcard:

French_men01.jpg
French_men02.jpg

there are some curious chest pockets among them which appear to be lower than normal:

French_mend.jpg

French_menc.jpg

French_menb.jpg

French_mena.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I know very little about the 1920s, but i thought the jacket on the right was interesting and unusual:

IsleofMan.jpg

No breast pocket, two patch pockets and very,very cutaway.

I'm guessing this dates from the mid 1920s.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's an example of typical British male casual clothing circa 1950:

Dad0008.jpg

Light coloured (most likely heavy cotton drill) trousers; shirts worn open; dark sports jackets.

These are a couple of years earlier (circa 1948). Very similar trousers. My theory is that these are British Army officers issue trousers.

DadEgypt2.jpg

The reason I think they are officers issue trousers is that this is my dad. He wasn't an officer, but he did work in the stores where the officers kit was kept. As he once told me, if he wasn't selling it to American sailors, he was wearing it. Also it's unlikely to be civilian clothing since (as far as I am aware) they weren't allowed any civilian clothes whilst in Egypt.
In this pic, the chap on the left has a watch pocket on his trousers:
DadEGYPT.jpg

I like these pictures for one reason (apart from the fact that my dad looks quite cool): it is rare to get a really clear shot of trousers showing how they hang etc.

(By the way - these photos actually inspired my love of period clothing, way back in the early 1970s when I was a child. I was in awe of my father's look in that period and always aimed to emulate it. I never quite got there, but I'm still trying).

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I know very little about the 1920s, but i thought the jacket on the right was interesting and unusual:
No breast pocket, two patch pockets and very,very cutaway.
I'm guessing this dates from the mid 1920s.

yes, that's an odd one. much of the teens and 20s seems in retrospect like a transitional period on the way to the 30s - 50s when things became much more consistent, style wise.
there were lots of really experimental ideas flying about like the long bell-shaped jackets with crazy pocket flaps of 1916, and the 'jazz suit' of 1919-20 which were like short-lived fashion follies.
for me, there's much new stuff to discover in this period.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
There we are, the continued search for - and discovery of - new things (whether it's a jacket style, as here, or a pair of 'fluffy' sports trousers). Isn't that exactly why many people come to this forum?
In fact, just a few short months ago I recall you reminding a certain frustrated 'Lounger' that was exactly why the forum remained relevant.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Post War 'Wide Boy'

A selection of photos of Griffith Jones in the crime thriller 'They Made Me A fugitive' (1947). His character is described in the film as: "cheap, rotten, after-the-war trash".

Monogrammed shirt (N for Narcissus - the character's name):
Fugitive-GriffithJones1.jpg

American style tie:
Fugitive-GriffithJones2.jpg

A suprisingly neat raincoat, and rather extravagent shoes:
Fugitive-GriffithJones3.jpg

A close-up of the shoes:
Fugitive-GriffithJones4.jpg

Nice tie:
Fugitive-GriffithJones5.jpg

This is really one for the 'putting it all together' thread: spotted scarf, checked jacket and bold flower patterned tie:
Fugitive-GriffithJones6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk