Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you have Crafted!

BoPeep

Practically Family
Drappa - It looks great! Your stitch in the ditch is spot on, and your binding is closed up with perfect little stitches! I love working with the repro prints. But my mother has two dresser drawers full of vintage feedsacks! Just waiting for the right moment to beg some off her! lol

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I've been away from the glass table for a while, but Sunday I was asked to make a mirror for a little girl's upcoming birthday, and this is what I created today.
4814283398_a0c0fc29cb_b.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
I've been away from the glass table for a while, but Sunday I was asked to make a mirror for a little girl's upcoming birthday, and this is what I created today.
4814283398_a0c0fc29cb_b.jpg

That is BEAUTIFUL. Well done!:eusa_clap

wahine

Practically Family
You Ladies are so inspiring! :eusa_clap
These days, I keep thinking I need to MAKE something again.
It's been a while since I sewed a dress or did some crocheting like this hand bag:

(The head hosts the mobile phone.)

Now, I got so many new projects in mind but so little time.
So far, I enjoy watching what you girls make.
Can't wait to see that finished wedding dress!

Roxy

Familiar Face
wahine said:
It's been a while since I sewed a dress or did some crocheting like this hand bag:

Now, I got so many new projects in mind but so little time.
So far, I enjoy watching what you girls make.
Can't wait to see that finished wedding dress!

Cute!!

Smuterella

One Too Many
wahine said:

(The head hosts the mobile phone.)

Oh! Do you have a pattern for this fella?

wahine

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Oh! Do you have a pattern for this fella?
No, I just improvised. A rectangle, two circles, another smaller longer rectangle made into a little bag and 7 pom poms, all sewn together - that was about it. ;)
But I got to admit that it's sort of a prototype. I didnt think about how to close it properly and what to take for a lining before I started crocheting. I ended up with a simple triangular latch with a button (doesnt really close well) and a lining made out of a place mat tied together with some ribbon - not the best idea. So it's rather a decorative item than a practical everyday purse... :rolleyes:
Still like the little guy, especially his tongue (made out of the hanger of an old sweater).

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I made this hat for Lilypie when we took her to the pumpkin farm earlier this month. The mommies that go to baby class with us went crazy for it, so now I'm taking orders from them for hats of their own. Quite a tidy little home business!

lilypumpkin_101510.jpg

I've come up with five original flower styles, but this double frilled is the most popular.

Foofoogal

Banned
Lily is absolutely adorable. What a cutie pie. I am so happy for you all Babydoll. A baby and a business to boot. What a blessing. Such a cute hat.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. She's a very sweet girl and I'm fortunate to be able to stay home and raise her. The business is a necessity at this point. Unexpected gallbladder surgery for The Mister left bills that need to be paid somehow.... [huh]

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
It is one of my goals in life to one day do stain glass. Nice mirror. :eusa_clap

Sandy I bet you could find a stained glass class in your area if you really want to. I worked with glass a lot in college both cold (like stained glass) and hot (blown glass) personally I prefer the hot but its much harder and more expensive to set up a studio and finding a place that will rent you time is few and fare between and expensive too. I miss blowing glass though I really really do.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
No, I think that's an Osh Kosh sweater. I got it at Target last year when we found out we were having a girl. She's going into 9-12 month clothes, but that's a 6 month sweater and swimming on her still. She will likely be able to wear it well into the winter! It also has a rosette on the front of where the snap is at the waist. Really cute. :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I made this hat for Lilypie when we took her to the pumpkin farm earlier this month. The mommies that go to baby class with us went crazy for it, so now I'm taking orders from them for hats of their own. Quite a tidy little home business!

lilypumpkin_101510.jpg

I've come up with five original flower styles, but this double frilled is the most popular.

Cute and your daughter is adorable.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I've been really busy crocheting! I have 17 hats due this week alone. :)

I made a custom order baby afghan. (Which I won't do again at the price I quoted. I ended up making about $1/hour!)

babyblanket.jpg

And these are some of my favorite hats:

jamesonpumpkin_102610.jpg

eboni.jpg

juliagiggle.jpg

havanasmile.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that being able to crochet like this is a unique skill, and that people want to pay me for it. I've been crocheting for the majority of my life, so it's not a special skill to me, but one of my everyday skills. I need to constantly remind myself that not everybody crochets, and that the time I spend making a hat needs to be paid for.... or else I'd be giving all of the hats away. (As it is, I've already made 100+ hats and donated them to the NICU at the hospital where Lilypie was born. I have a soft spot for the tiny ones that need extra love and hugs.)

As for the time it takes to make a hat, well.... it depends on how intricate it is. The pumpkin hat was made without a pattern (I'm crazy like that), so I did a lot of trial and error on getting the leaves and vines to do what I envisioned. I think total time on that hat was about 3.5 hours with breaks to tend to Lilypie. The other hats roughly average a couple hours each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner