Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your 2022 hats!

20221231_153438.jpg

I showed great restraint and fiscal responsibility in 2022 and only brought home a half dozen new ones. The black one two the far left is a Poulton's. It had some newspaper from 1934 tucked under the sweatband to make it fit it's previous owner more snugly. Continuing to the right, the lighter grey fedora is an Imperial quality Stetson and the darker one is a Dobbs. The Open Road and the bigger western are both 3X quality Stetsons, and the straw hat is a Country Gentleman brand. It still had the original price tag from Higbee's, the dept. store that featured prominently in the Christmas Story movie.

I hope all you guys have a happy and healthy 2023 and that we all continue to find some good hats.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Here is my 2022 haul minus a couple that I bought and resold pretty quickly due to fit or other issues. This was me trying to hold it down, and trying not to test the limits of my wife's patience.
20221231_153748.jpg

Hard to pick favorites as I really like most of the hats I got, but I am especially fond of the Mayser Panama my wife bought me for our Anniversary last year as well my 50's 3X Open Road long oval and my Swann Hats Gay Prince clone. Other notable hats are my two customs from Gannon and Wolfbrae, my Shudde Bros 3x, as well as my Fed IV and Banjo Paterson. I really blame all of you for your bad influence. :D

Last edited:
No new hats for me in 2022. And I expect you all to back me up if my wife asks.

Honestly, my “core collection” of hats I intend to keep has gone down in 2022 by about 20 hats with more on the chopping block. I’m not Keeping anything that doesn’t fit perfectly or that has any flaw that I consider serious. I’m ending up with fewer and fewer vintage hats and more customs. I wish I could find more no-compromise vintage hats in my size.

@BobHufford that is an amazing haul for 2022. Well done!

Wow! You've been making good use of that time machine this year, Bob! Some stellar hats in the 2022 haul.

Magnificent! 40(?) hats added to your already substantial collection. Tell me how I can do that and remain married!

Bobby been a berry busy boy!!
Was tryin to pick a favorite but as they used to say...”I got stoned and i missed it”!

Thanks everyone! Gary -- my wife no longer questions each hat that comes in when four out of five go back out the door for a profit (well ... most of the time).

Looking forward to what others post for this year and hoping we all find some grail hats next year.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I've been a good boy last year. Less than half the amount of hats added compared to 2021 (am I losing my touch?:confused:).
Anyway, as tradition has it, here they are divided into finders (and moved on) and keepers (for now).

Finders
View attachment 477558

Keepers View attachment 477560
31 finders and none of them came my way. I’m sending out a Please explain memo. Etsuko’s sending out a Thank you memo.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I play the game with fun and carefully gathered the hats bought in 2022. There were few compared to other years.
I set myself some rules: buy hats of my size (59 and 60 centimeters, sometimes even a few 58 can be fine, it depends on the manufacturer). I let go of all this in other sizes, except for a few gambles and some prices too inviting to be ignored, however I managed to contain myself in buying "beautiful and impossible"
This first post is dedicated to those Barbisio hats that have been shown here on FL.
It is increasingly difficult to find quality Barbisio and I regret this because it is one of my favorite Italian hatters.
There are many recently produced hats on the market starting from the absorption of the brand by Cappellificio Cervo in 1981, hats prior to this date are increasingly rare
Arno Barbisio 9.jpg Barbisio Blu nastro basso.jpg Barbisio Blu satiné.jpg Barbisio Blu spilla.jpg Barbisio Hom Bruciato.jpg Barbisio Hom Verde.jpg Argento Barbisio 6.jpg Barbisio Taupé A.jpg Barbisio Verde Coste.jpg
For any question, let me know

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The second post post is for the Cappellificio Cervo shown here on FL.
Difficult to find more than Barbisio, Cervo hats can be showed "masked" as Barbisio, sometimes Borsalino and in other brands having been the producer of Sagliano the main subcontractor and certainly the most capable in producing quality hats.
Cappellificio Cervo branded hats are rare and often overlooked by collectors
Cervo Bantam Misto.jpg Tyrol Cervo 2.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The third chapter is dedicated to the large Borsalino family, certainly the most present on the vintage market in Italy. There are hats of all types, shapes, colors. The production put on the market goes from the 20-30s up to the present day. There is an inflation of models and colors in which it is difficult to choose considering that the sellers often have prices that border on the impossible.
Quality is the discriminating factor that makes me choose, there are a large number of Borsalinos available that you can do without
Borsalino amiata.jpg Borsalino Hutter Marrone.jpg Borsalino Hutter.jpg Borsalino Mirtillo.jpg BORSALINO Prese d'aria.jpg Averla 4.jpg D'Aubignac 1a.jpg Lupo HOM A.jpg M Blancfer 3.jpg M. Volga 2.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Fifth chapter is for everything else found and bought this year.
There are some small gems of both national and foreign hats.
These are the gambles that are the salt in the hat hunt
Foresto - Tesi 58cm
G.B Borsalino fu Lazzaro 58cm in US Steve collection
Guerra 1855 59cm
Huckel Durit 59cm
Pagani & Messaggi "Elefante" 60cm
Pagani & Messaggi "Nero Forte" 60 cm
Morreton Velrex 56cm in Nedherlands Stefan collection

Foresto Tesi.jpg G.B. Borsalino bowler Trento.jpg Guerra 1855 Indiana.jpg Huckel Velour Marrone.jpg Milano Marron.jpg Milano Nero.jpg Moreton Blu velrex.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many
I've been a good boy last year. Less than half the amount of hats added compared to 2021 (am I losing my touch?:confused:).
Anyway, as tradition has it, here they are divided into finders (and moved on) and keepers (for now).

Finders
View attachment 477558

Keepers View attachment 477560
A lovely assortment! I think the Stetson Custom V is my fave—a real stunner is a crowded field of quality hats.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Wow. I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought a couple of new, wool hats at the end of '21. Then I found out about the lounge and the vintage market. I sold off the three (yeah, I picked up another before my epiphany) woolies this November.
Without further prologue, here are my 2022 acquisitions, almost all "trilbys" in the style my old man wore in the 1960's.
I first dipped my toe in with this obscure Warwick "Bench Made" brand.
WarwickA.jpg
WarwickLabel.jpg

Then I picked up a Check-made Italian-designed Selentino Rose. Great felt, but a more brim than I like. When I need room, I'm afraid this one is going to have to go.
selentinoB.jpg
Selention tip logo.jpg

Light-weight Royal Stetson. It looks black, but in direct sunlight turns green. I grabbed it in time for St. Patrick's Day.
StetsonBashedProfilecropped.jpeg
StetsonCopperSatin.jpg

Royal Coachman by Dobbs, in Gold, caught my attention next. The picture doesn't do the color justice. Check my avatar for a better look.
Coachman leftALT.jpg
coachman_sweatA.jpg

...to be continued

Last edited:

Granville

One of the Regulars
part two

Around this time my wife started to get worried.
Here's The Champ. A very cool dark taupe/grey. A surviving piece of the factory label reveals the model is a Duncan.
Champ Duncan color TILT.jpg

Champ liner tip.jpg

Looking for a match for my olive green overcoat, I picked up another obscure brand: Barbizona. Probably a "Beaver Brand". Couple of moth holes, but she gets a lot of head time. Very stingy brim.
Zona faceless Top.jpg
BarbieLabel.jpg

Another Royal Stetson, in black, with a grosgrain ribbon-bound edge. Heavier, thicker felt, than the St. Pat's hat. Lotta moth holes in this baby, and a wider brim, it's my rain hat.
1 top.jpeg

Still looking for the perfect olive green, I picked up a J.C. Penney Towncraft. Another bound and generous (for me) brim, it works as a formal hat. And it's not as brown as it looks here, so matches well with my long overcoat.
TC tilt.jpeg
TC Liner Logo.jpeg

Even I had to admit, maybe I've got a problem, when I picked up this Triumph by Champ. I told myself I was simply replacing the black wool hat I'd sold off.
TodayTriTiltcropped.jpeg
TriTip.jpeg

Topped off the year with a Homburg from Hats in the Belfry, another "replacement" hat. My better half had a bout of Covid over the holiday (she's fine now, thanks), so it didn't get the head time I expected, and didn't get photo'd after I steamed in a good pinch.
belfry burg.jpg

Also picked up a couple of flat caps, a summer linen and a light Scots tweed (previously, i.e., my whole life, I've worn Irish tweed caps), but that's a different thread.
Now, if I can only figure a way to casually mention to my old lady that I've got a blue Flying Cloud by Knox coming in the mail.
Happy New Year everybody!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points