Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

cookie

I'll Lock Up
this is a 1940s unlabelled Brit DB of almost regulation specification. there's absolutely nothing unexpected in the features on the jacket or trousers. what is rather unusual is the fabric. it is a herringbone flannel multi-stripe in aqua-green, purple and yellow ochre on what can only be described as 'industrial-river-sludge' brown; a muddy, slightly greenish brown. almost impossible to show dirt on, and with a kind of grim northern character that i like, hailing as i do (originally) from a grim northern city.

L1040442.jpg

L1040443.jpg

L1040444.jpg

I get it. You could wear it daily as an up and coming executive at Satanic Mills Pty Ltd.... purveyors of fine sackloth and ashes...:eeek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc - absolutely, totally and completely astonishing.

bk

Thank you, Baron. And would you believe it? I just found out that a very good friend of mine was the second highest bidder! Neither of us had any idea that the other was going to go for the suit! (If he weren't my friend, I might be mad: without his bid, I could have won the suit for $360 less than I did. Oh well... :p)

Last edited:
It reminds me most of the German hunting suits that appear in a few catalogues that have been posted in the Suits section. But that impression is probably just down to the buttoned breast pocket.

Incidentally, in agreement with HBK's comments, if anyone is in any doubt about what they are looking at in a shop, market, or auction: This is what a golden era British waistline looks like. The buttons are almost always the same, as is the closure. And, before the early 40s, usually no watch pocket.

IMG_4787.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thank you Marc, looking at that suit is truly a pleasure.

To find one in such an amazing check, with details like that and a matching hat to boot. I have a picture very similar in 'English Fashions' winter 1930, although, that does not have the belted back, yet, the pockets etc are similar. The unlined jacket is unusual, however, not unknown on British suits of the period.

My thoughts are 29-31 period, but, as with all mens wear, we can put 5 years either side of that, but, it seems popular between those dates to have very bold checks and unusual pocket styling. Well done, and, thank you for posting.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Marc,

I keep coming back to look at that suit. The jacket has many interesting features, the single vent and belt remind me of a 1927 French jacket I had.

Have you checked the inside seam of the plus fours for any labels, also, the inside of the waistcoat belt? Sometimes they are hidden there?

Ben

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Last year I bought this really nice, simple-but-classic 1949-dated chalk stripe suit.

I'm very sad to say that I had to return it as there were one or two rather quirky things about the pants, which the seller and I only really discovered once it had arrived here. This was really the strangest thing I've ever seen. Why? Oh, well. Simple - the legs had been extended using what seemed to be the original fabric! There was absolutely no way to let them out as the extension seams would have become visible. Then there was the waistband. The waist had obviously been taken in - and not very well, as can be seen by looking at the rear of the waistband. I think this could have been easily remedied with a bit of care but the problem with the extended legs rendered the whole suit utterly uselss for me. Ah well...

BTW: Does anybody recognize that blue door in the background? ;)

1949-UK-Black-Pinstripe.jpg

This is the seam line of the extension:

1949-UK-Black-Pinstripe-Ext.jpg

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's one I got yesterday, not sure of the year as there's no dating tag but I am guessing the mid-late 1960's, lt has the pure new wool sign on a tag in the left hand breast pocket so most likely post 65?
It's a 'Chester Barrie' single breasted 2 button all wool worsted 'pinstripe' though there is a suttle under cross stripe/check, first up the trousers which have a belt(the buckle had a leather covered buckle but the leather has perished) and coin/watch pocket with two rear button down pockets, they close with a 'Lightening 'zipper a button down inner tab and a hoo & eye too;
35ivyc4.jpg
nwejhu.jpg
k326o8.jpg
hs5myp.jpg
5lrk0x.jpg

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
And rather narrowly placed buttons.
That seems to be quite usual on British SB suits. The gorge does seem unusually high though - more what you'd expect of a late 50s suit. The lapels seem quite narrow too for a late 40s suit, considering the Bold Look was in full swing the other side of the Atlantic.

Mario

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy