Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
some more circular corner thingies (from a 1903 trashed blazer which just sold for £300):

ScreenShot2012-03-28at085035.png

these ones are more delicately done than the last blazer.
you can clearly see in this photo that no topstitching goes through the pad so it must be, as Nick suggests, simply a cover for a corner stay.
(a corner stay so ugly that it must be hidden behind a small circular shield !)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are some British Suit advertisements from Burtons catalogues in the 1930s:

Ready to wear:
readytowear.jpg

Plus 4s, 1939:
plus4s1939.jpg

1939 flannel double breasted:
flannelsuit1939.jpg

1939 Dinner Suit:
dinnersuit1939.jpg

1939 Business Suit:
businesssuit1939.jpg

Lounge Sports jacket and flannels, 1939:
beltback1939.jpg

Made to measure in 'Pinnacle Weaves', 1939:
7guineasuit1939.jpg

Made to measure in 'Oceanic Weaves', 1939:
5guineasuit1939.jpg

Made to measure for the younger made, peaked lapels, 1939:
4guineasuit1939.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
great adverts TT, liking the 3 button belted back patch pocket number in the Burton catalogue...wondering if my local tailor could do a version?

Don't some branches of Burtons still make suits? (I'm sure they did a few years ago). I so, find a branch that does, take in the advert, and tell them to look through their records for that suit (and expect to see some very blank faces).

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I think Burtons first shop was just down the road from me on 20 Holywell Street, the shop was insured under the name The Cross-Tailoring Company(Holywell Cross being the area) , our local Burtons sells fashion stuff mostly ....even the ads in BITD were better!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Don't some branches of Burtons still make suits? (I'm sure they did a few years ago). I so, find a branch that does, take in the advert, and tell them to look through their records for that suit (and expect to see some very blank faces).

Burtons has a made-to-measure service, but not bespoke. I have a mid-50s Burtons gray flannel 3-piece, it's one of my favorite suits.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
i trust that London dwellers have all made a pilgrimage to the Simpsons of Piccadilly store on Jermyn Street to try a spot of time travel ? (now Waterstones).

I was a little disappointed when they modernised the toilets a couple of years back.

I am quite keen on the 5th floor cocktail bar - if only for the fantastic view across Westminster.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Burtons of today has no resemblance to Montague Burton in terms of style, knowledge base or service. It's all very sad how downhill it has gone.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I was a little disappointed when they modernised the toilets a couple of years back.

They've been tearing out all the '30s fixtures in the university here and replacing them with the same bland modern ones with automatic taps that don't work right. I think I'm the only one sad about it.

herringbonekid said:
i wonder if they even have an archive of patterns and fabrics etc ?
Leeds City Museum might, given the link between Montague Burton and Leeds for decades when Burton was still making suits and Leeds was still a textile centre.

There're no labels. Construction, lining type and inner pocket placement mark it as British.

The only spanner in the works is that it came from a store in Sydney. But the construction is different from any Australian vintage jacket I've seen/handled, and identical to pretty much every British suit jacket I've got.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy