Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
there's so much myth and misinformation around tailoring. makes for good stories though. ;)

800px-Harrows_Bristle_Board_Bullseye.JPG

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1949 dated medium weight DB Brown wool window-pane, quilted (Great for winter wear), 2pc.
Condition, NOS *Immaculate* like it was made today.
Pants - button fly, metal cinches to waist.
No maker label, just date.

(iPhone photos)

8b8a7e3f.jpg

f8a32d3f.jpg

40ea5310.jpg

04ea967a.jpg

17563f87.jpg

b867f3c2.jpg

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Some gentlemen around here would have a hard time trying to post photos of suits that are not spectacular.

Well said Mario and very true. I am constantly amazed by the suits many of our members have.

yorkshirechap

Familiar Face
This suit was made in 1992, relatively modern when compared against most other suits here. It was made by Carl Stuart of Huddersfield, the centre of the once huge but now tiny wool fabric industry, for a man who worked in one of the remaining mills as a sample.
It is largely machine made, I think the jacket is fused and the trouser lining is fused to the trouser fabric. At has hoever held its shape remarkably well and feels great to wear. I've put on a couple of photos although the colour rendering leaves a little to be desired.

CarlStuart1992.jpg

CarlStuart92.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
This suit was made in 1992, relatively modern when compared against most other suits here. It was made by Carl Stuart of Huddersfield, the centre of the once huge but now tiny wool fabric industry, for a man who worked in one of the remaining mills as a sample.
It is largely machine made, I think the jacket is fused and the trouser lining is fused to the trouser fabric. At has hoever held its shape remarkably well and feels great to wear. I've put on a couple of photos although the colour rendering leaves a little to be desired.
That looks like a reasonable suit. The pattern and cut look fairly classic to me. A lot of 90s suits look quite classic, especially the DB ones. I have a DB black flannel suit from Marks & Spencer dated 1996 and the material and cut could nearly pass off for something from the mid-50s.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
This was my first vintage suit. It was mislabled as a '60s suit and I got it for £16 (the legs had been drastically narrowed. I put them back to rights).

No front darts on the jacket, the first cuff buttons are functional, high interior pockets. The jacket has been let out at the side seams. Very lightly padded shoulders and chest. This is the most lightly structured suit I own.
DSC08583.jpg

DSC08584.jpg

Waistcoat lining is shot, and needs to be replaced. The back has pieces added at the sides. When I re-line it I'll re-back it as well, lengthening it by maybe an inch. I've always felt it's a bit short.
DSC08582.jpg

DSC08564.jpg

Trousers have been let out, partly by sacrificing the second pleats. The fishtail in back has been rebuilt with added pieces, but I don't know where the fabric came from (it's a perfect match).
DSC08562.jpg

The bottom of the tag in the coat was cut off, but I found this tag in the trousers
DSC08563.jpg

It's starting to be a bit loose on me, but since every piece has been let out, they can all be taken back in.

DSC08568.jpg

DSC08569.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This is, without a doubt, the most splendid thread I've ever seen in the "Suits" section. Thank you all! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(It feels so good to be learning!)
Sorry but this is akin to Siskel and Ebert giving two thumbs up to Waterworld ......:rolleyes:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
By contrast, an example of vintage French tailoring, probably from the 1950s:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-30s...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item3cbf9f1d0b

I saw that on the 'bay, but skipped right over it without clicking through because, in the small thumbnail, it looked like the lapels had been chopped. Looking at larger pictures, its clear fromt he angle of the button holes that that's how it was originally made. Very interesting. I also particularly like that cloth.

Other interesting details are:
- waist adjuster tabs that tighten forward rather than backwards
- relatively squared off bottom cutaway on the waistcoat
- Vaguely western (as in cowboy) belt loops

Are these characteristics of French tailoring?

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A question on British suits ...

Yesterday, I saw a rather nice suit for sale. It is a single-button, single-breasted, peaked lapel two piece, in heavy blue/black wool. The trousers are typical twin pleated with two pockets (with very nice pointed flaps) in the waistband. Button fly, turn ups etc. There is no evidence of a makers label.

My question is this: To me, the suit seems old (cut, heavy fabric, button fly, waistband details) but the condition is immaculate. The peaked lapel, single breast suggests 1930s, the condition seems too good to be that early (i.e. too good to be true). Thus, would anyone know whether this style was popular in any other period apart from the thirties?

Any thoughts?

I know it won't fit me, but I am waiting to find out the price. If the price is right (fingers crossed) I'll buy it to sell on.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The trousers are typical twin pleated with two pockets (with very nice pointed flaps) in the waistband.

if you mean (as i think you mean) two watch pockets that probably indicates its not British as i've only seen that done on German or Italian suits (but there's always exceptions).
difficult to date it without seeing photos. as you know, British men's style was a slowly evolving beast and although peaked lapels were more common in the 30s and 40s that style could also be found throughout the 50s though dwindling in popularity.

please post some photos if you buy it !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy