Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

Irish_Rin

New in Town
Mine..

Anyway, mine is one that my mom found at the Goodwill years ago. The inside puff is pink and says "Dorsett 5th ave". I keep Shalimar powder in mine (mainly for freshening up in the summer.
PB050062.jpg
[/IMG]

PB050065.jpg
[/IMG]

WOW..way to big of an image to post!!

BajueBoutique

Tourbillion said:
I am going by memory here, and honestly the compact has been gone for about 30 years.

The Queen Mary one that my mom had was a yellow metal, I'm guessing brass, but you could call it "gold tone." It said Queen Mary on the front, I think in another color but I'm not sure, (red, blue? ) probably enamel, and I think that the crest was raised. There was a screen inside to hold the powder, I think it was some type of fabric because it ripped (I think my sister played with it and hastened it's demise). The powder was dark, but it belonged to my great aunt who was very suntanned.

I love them !!!

swinggal

One Too Many
I have 7 compacts. Most are from Oz but I did get a few overseas.

This 30s one is from Germany. I like the simple Art Deco design with gold and red enamel. It still has both powder and rouge, with original rouge inside.

3012612306_ed86906911_m.jpg
3011785177_e759f848c8_m.jpg

This green Art Deco one is an early 30s compact. I love it's simple design and colour. It's a alot more basic inside too and has it's original puff.

3012647186_3ea193cb61_m.jpg

This 40s one is cool. I love the shape and the engraved design - geometric with flowers - such a cool combo. Doesn't have it's original puff though.

3011793053_6e63ec7689_m.jpg
3011802529_e657f53712_m.jpg

This round one comes with a lovely pink pouch. Will post later. Still has it's netting and puff.

3011825897_1b3ceea4bb_m.jpg
3012670242_2f937a198d_m.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
This is my favourite. It's a combo purse/compact called 'Swinglok'. The actual compact slips inside a little open purse with a money pouch. The compact has a compartment for cigarettes (or clips, gum etc), a square puff with netting and a lipstick container. Is very cool :) Even has it's original info tag. Why don't they make useful stuff like this now???:eusa_doh:

3012190475_808e988407_m.jpg
3012204317_12c666b9aa_m.jpg
3013051282_708c1df225_m.jpg

This one I found at an op shop. It's been well used and not in good condition, but I liked it because it was engraved. I always wonder who 'Val' was :)

3012251621_bbfcb458ab_m.jpg
3013117092_c58c1186c3_m.jpg

And some original powder boxes from the 30s. Both are full of powder, one has been opened, the other hasn't. I love the design on the Revelry tub and the baby blue colour.

3013073742_9b998190eb_m.jpg

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Just got my...

First vintage compact. I have a few nice modern ones I have been given as gifts. Reasonably priced compared to the ones I saw at the antique mall today ;)

pearlcompact.jpg

pearlcompact1.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Very pretty Rebecca...

Yea....Antique malls and compacts...hehe...somehow they think even junky ones merit -mint- in box type pricing.

I buy my compacts on ebay, much more reasonable for -using- compacts.

(using compacts = compacts i will use, and thus do not need to be perfect, as i certainly will add scratches myself later too)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
its not a swinglock....but similar idea....

From way back on page 2 of this thread...

Miss Neecerie said:
This one is by Elgin American.

IMG_0634.jpg

This is the compact in its cloth purse handle case. The back side of the cloth case has a small pocket and a slot that holds a comb for those out on the town touch ups to hairstyle.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

When I bought this, it was absolutely perfect inside, never been used at all. I love the gazelle pattern and want more items in it.

IMG_0637.jpg

The mirror hinges forward to reveal a small compartment just the right size for ID and credit card.

IMG_0639.jpg

I have put besame powder in the powder compartment and well trained eyes will spot that the lipstick is also a besame, which fits in the case right where the orignal one did (I have the original lipstick case safely in storage)

Ok...thats number one...and all for today

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Very pretty Rebecca...

Yea....Antique malls and compacts...hehe...somehow they think even junky ones merit -mint- in box type pricing.

I buy my compacts on ebay, much more reasonable for -using- compacts.

(using compacts = compacts i will use, and thus do not need to be perfect, as i certainly will add scratches myself later too)

Agreed. I figure if I buy a nice compact to use from Estee Lauder, or Chanel, etc. they will cost me $25-50. This cost a little over $20 and I will certainly get lots of use out of it so it's a good deal.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
swinggal said:
Very nice!

Does anyone else here have one similar to my 'Swinglok' purse one? I have never seen one anywhere else and find it so useful.

I don't own one but I saw one at the aforementioned antique mall going for $86.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Here's another Dorset compact, similar in style to the one Irish Rin posted at the top of this page. It doesn't close properly, though, and I'm not sure what i can do to fix it. It's never been used.

compact.jpg

compactinside.jpg

Here's a confetti lucite one I found this weekend on sale at a local antiques market!

DSCF0980.jpg

The antiques market had a ton of beautiful ones at fantastic prices, but none of them had that flip over metal cover inside AND a screen - they all just had either one of the other. I think loose powder compacts are pretty much useless otherwise. I know you can buy the screens, though - does anyone know where? I'd found a website a long time ago that has them but I can't seem to find it again now that I'm actually looking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy