Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

Coopsgirl

New in Town
This is the first one I got at an antique store. It's an Elgin American.

IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

The mirror is damaged in this one but the outside is pretty. I also found this one cheap at an antique store.

IMG_4905.jpg

Also got this one at the same antique store and it's a Coty. I keep little mints in it.

IMG_4906.jpg

I found this one on ebay and it's Tangee and has rouge and a little lipstick.

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
So many lovely compacts...it's like a preview of heaven.

How do you date compacts without any sort of maker's mark or writing on them? My mom found this in her attic recently and I've been scouring the internet looking for similar ones, but haven't found anything.

It's enamel with a jade piece on top:
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/jennliskow/?action=view&current=DSCN2731.jpg

inside there's a powder compartment and a mirror:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/jennliskow/th_DSCN2736.jpg

with a compartment for blush behind the mirror:
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/jennliskow/?action=view&current=DSCN2741.jpg

I have a few others, too, but this is my current favorite.

zendy

A-List Customer
Space age

I just purchased this one. Still has the original powder and the mirror is in perfect condition. I'm really excited to put my own powder in at and throw in in my purse:D
il_fullxfull54675211.jpg

Rhian

New in Town
I hope no one minds if I share photos of a post-1950 compact - it's by Stratton and commemorates the Silver Jubilee in 1977. It's silver plated, never been used and comes with its sifter (sadly no puff, but that's easily rectified). I picked it up today at a local charity shop for a few pounds and I suspect it may be the first of many!

3746145369_3dce4358c1.jpg

3746935784_984ae33429.jpg

MidnightBlue

New in Town
Ooh I've really enjoyed reading this thread from start to finish. I've wanted a pretty compact for quite a while now, but gave up on the idea after the local estee lauder 'orange lady' looked at me like I was bonkers when I started speaking about it.

I should learn not to listen and just go find one ... or two ...

I love the purse style ones with a space for lipstick, etc, particularly the volupte which even had the space behind the mirror. If I can find one in a music related design I'll be particularly over the moon

Off to ebay...

Lorena B

Practically Family
From all the ones i have, this is my favorite.
Lucite and tortouse shell and I belive from the 30's
Found it in one of my trips to the States, this time Jacksonville
DSCN7109-1.jpg

DSCN7110.jpg

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Does anyone have more information on Elgin American compacts?
I see them on ebay all the time.

KittyT said:
I'd really prefer both. The problem with having just a screen is that you still end up with a bunch of powder on your puff while the compact is shifting around in your purse. With just the metal cover and no screen, your puff stays clean in transit, but then it's easy to end up with too much powder on it when you go to apply.

I think it's hard to find one with metal cover and screen AND in a good condition AND my style. Have only been looking on ebay, though. Are there any sites with a rather large, updated selection of compacts that ship international?

@C-dot
You don't know how much I envy you, I have been drooling over that palette for quite some time now. Do you find that the colors work well for a vintage(-inspired) look?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Goldfish- There is a neutral tone and a topaz tone that work amazingly together, and do a great 40's look. The green and blue are more 30's and 50's respectively. I love to use wild colours with a vintage look, it works better than one would think!

Bombshell Becca- I got it from MAC. It was part of the 2007 holiday collection. I think it may be limited edition :(

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I am confused. The palette shown in the picture is from MACs Passions of Red collection from Oct 08. It is called Fascinating Ruby: 6 Smokey Eyes. There are no green or blue tones (Swatches: 1 2 3) in it. Maybe you linked the wrong image?

Vanessa

One Too Many
C-dot said:
It's not quite vintage, but I could care less:

2944247802_870435456a.jpg

It's even more outrageous in person :D

I have that one as well. It's my everyday compact for eye makeup. And yes, it's very obnoxious. I love it. :)

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Cleaning old lipstick holders?

I have a few compacts/vanity cases with lipstick tubes, and I'd love to get the grotty old lipstick out, but I'm not sure how to do so without damaging the compacts. Anyone have any experience with this?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
HazelSmutCrunch said:
I have a few compacts/vanity cases with lipstick tubes, and I'd love to get the grotty old lipstick out, but I'm not sure how to do so without damaging the compacts. Anyone have any experience with this?

I would....scrape it out first...then heat

one would think that gentle heat....not an open flame...but perhaps in the oven on low on a tray with say old rags to catch the last bits ...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Goldfish said:
Maybe you linked the wrong image?

There were an assortment of palettes that came in that case design. That was the only picture I could find at the time, but now that I have a camera, I will show you my palette:

Palette001.jpg

The colours are: Sweet Eyes, Amorously, In Awe (top row); Young Thing, Awaken, Fall Deeply (bottom).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace