Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Dark Side - Shadow and Silhouette Portraits

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wearing my newest Stagecoach conversion

Shadow.jpg

coalchak01

New in Town
Dear Gentlemen wearing dress hats: I believe from experience that wearing a dress hat with a hoodie or t-shirt ruins the look. A leather bomber jacket, letter varsity jacket, simple Eisenhower jacket style (military or not) shirt jacket or a trench coat work way better with a fedora. Even (God Forbid!) a blazer or sport jacket and tie.
A good rule of thumb is to wear a coat that was in style before the 1960s with a Fedora.
Now, in summer you can wear a Panama or other dress straw hat, but not with just a t-shirt. A bowling shirt, Hawaiian style shirt, camp shirt, or casual shirt does the trick far better. Only cowboy hats or casual sports hats like a baseball cap go well dressed down in jeans jackets, hoodies or t-shirts.
If you wear a dress hat, you need your outfit to complement and support it. Otherwise it seems you are wearing your hat ironically, like "look at this antique lid, isn't it amusing to wear it with distressed jeans and a t-shirt from K-mart!" At best, the hat seems incongruous or even clashes.
Also, dress hats don't look good with parkas or other items made of synthetic material.
Am I being too "authentic" here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Dear Gentlemen wearing dress hats: I believe from experience that wearing a dress hat with a hoodie or t-shirt ruins the look. A leather bomber jacket, letter varsity jacket, simple Eisenhower jacket style (military or not) shirt jacket or a trench coat work way better with a fedora. Even (God Forbid!) a blazer or sport jacket and tie.
A good rule of thumb is to wear a coat that was in style before the 1960s with a Fedora.
Now, in summer you can wear a Panama or other dress straw hat, but not with just a t-shirt. A bowling shirt, Hawaiian style shirt, camp shirt, or casual shirt does the trick far better. Only cowboy hats or casual sports hats like a baseball cap go well dressed down in jeans jackets, hoodies or t-shirts.
If you wear a dress hat, you need your outfit to complement and support it. Otherwise it seems you are wearing your hat ironically, like "look at this antique lid, isn't it amusing to wear it with distressed jeans and a t-shirt from K-mart!" At best, the hat seems incongruous or even clashes.
Also, dress hats don't look good with parkas or other items made of synthetic material.

Some truths. Some hangups. Bottom line is... we, all being individuals, simply wear what we like.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

I think there may be another thread where you can discuss your views on fashion and wearing a fedora. I don't believe this would be a good thread for that. Completely different subject matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav