Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us Your Frameable Prints from Fashion Illustrators

Mojito

One Too Many
Sparked by remarks in another thread, I was thinking today about fashion illustrators and how their graphic design work is often so wonderfully evocative of its age. Much of it makes great frameable art. George Barbier (1882 - 1932), in particular, - with his pochoirs for publications like the Gazette du Bon Ton has greatly influenced my impressions and affections for the teens and twenties:

LaRoseraie72.jpg

G-barbier-full.gif

BarbierWave.jpg

Erte - if you'd fit him into this category! - is another that comes to mind. Even some of the catalogue work of the period, often uncredited, is absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone have any favourites, particularly from later eras?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I mentioned in another thread that I love Harrison Fisher. He illustrated the cover of Cosmo from the early 20th Century through the 1930's amongst many other things.

Sorry, no pics handy to post.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Fellow Harrison Fisher lover here, I'm just a -tiny- bit infatuated with his work, and am steadily stockpiling postcards, prints, books of his.
Another illustrator whom I love, whose style is similar to Fisher's, is Philip Boileau:
pp1221-1.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
I know a chap - a fashion historian - who has done quite a lot of work researching Harrison Fisher's models. As you Fisher afficiandoes are probably aware, Dorothy Gibson - early film star and one of his models - was a passenger on board RMS Titanic.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
It might just be because I've just finished a project as a research assistant and graphics guy for a book on the man, but I don't think any conversation about Fashion Illustrators from the Golden Era would be complete without a mention of J.C. Leyendecker, who was well known for his House of Kuppenheimer, Interwoven Socks, and Arrow Shirt Collar advertisements, as well as his many Saturday Evening Post covers.

jcl_arrow1929.jpg

Here is a link to a site that gives a good cross section of his work.

http://www.americanartarchives.com/leyendeceker,jc.htm

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I brought up Walter Plunkett's work on another thread, and I have 6 wonderful signed sketches, big too, 11X14! Here are three versions of the "curtain" dress from Gone With the Wind, along with him workinng on one. The last sketch was quite different from the film version.
Plunkettwithdraperysketch.jpg
[/IMG]
draperysketch3.jpg

draperydressplunkettsketch.jpg

Unuseddraperydresssketch.jpg

I adore women prints and I wonder what people think when they come over, ha! They're ALL women! I love Harrison Fisher, Howard Christy, Henry Hutt, Louis Icart, Alphonse Mucha, Earl Christy, and of course the cutsie side of Maude Humphrey. This is a great site with lots of prints and mag covers, http://pages.victoriangraceart.com/230/PictPage/1922145762.html

Nikki

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Much of my love of vintage life has come from the works of Elvgren, Petty and Vargas.

While I realize that they weren't actual fashion illustrators, their images depicted many of the styles of the times. For the most part they also included how/ where to wear said outfit. For instance:

art18.jpg

I can't help but notice the lastex swimsuit and the cute catseye glasses... or:

1945ArtbyGilElvgren.png

It might not be used for selling a brand name fashion or to help design costumes for stage, their paintings did capture a moment in fashion history.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
erikb02809 said:
but I don't think any conversation about Fashion Illustrators from the Golden Era would be complete without a mention of J.C. Leyendecker

Wow, love the "lighting"! Thomas Kinkaid, eat your heart out!! Thanks, I'll have to look up more of his work!

Ah, forgot to add my passion for Elgren and the other pinup boys as well. How do they capture those cherubesk yet naughty looking faces!

Nikki

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I just stumbled over some georgous books with Illustrations and wanted to share it with some fellow loungers. Look on Amazon for Carol Belanger Grafton and you´ll find Illustration books on just about EVERYTHING and from about all eras. It´s too much to even post some examples! I think I´m in heaven and I want it ALL!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
I know a chap - a fashion historian - who has done quite a lot of work researching Harrison Fisher's models. As you Fisher afficiandoes are probably aware, Dorothy Gibson - early film star and one of his models - was a passenger on board RMS Titanic.

I own a copy of "Finding Dorothy." A very fascinating read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart