Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Soul Man

carebearModern plastic guns may be utilitarian said:

I have shot a number of Glocks and found them to be great shooters. I got to shoot the 10mm full size one and it was simply awesome. I had shoot the 10mm in a 1911A1 stell frame and that was a little bit overwhelming at first. In comparison the Glock felt like it had shock absorbers built in for the 10mm.

Still wood and steel looks a heck of a lot better.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I love Glock!! I have carried the 10mm, the 45ACP, and the 40. love em all. I got my compensated .40 for free from a Glosk sport shooting event.
I have been told that alot of people have the enfields changed to 30-06 , 7.62. Any truth to this? and would it be better to do ammo wise.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
I love Glock!! I have carried the 10mm, the 45ACP, and the 40. love em all. I got my compensated .40 for free from a Glosk sport shooting event.
I have been told that alot of people have the enfields changed to 30-06 , 7.62. Any truth to this? and would it be better to do ammo wise.

I was going to let the fact that you drank the Glock kool-aid pass, but couldn't without pointing out that if you're likin' Glocks, G-d has abandoned you sinner. :D

Now on to a real gun of metal and wood.

It kinda depends what you'll be doing with the Enfield. If it will just be occasional use (target shooting or hunting) there's no ballistic reason to go to the trouble of a rechamber/barrel.

Modern .303 will do anything a .30-06 can do and, if you are buying rounds in the store or online, the price will be much the same.

I'd leave it as-is. When I get mine I plan to anyway.

Now repent of your plastic dalliance and return to grace. :p

Story

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:

Did you read your PMs?

Twitch

Carebear- the pistol is simply a tool as you mention, as common as an axe or shovel one time in this country. And make no mistake, in MOST parts it still is simply an implement. The demonizing comes from the ignoramt city folk.

I found it very interesting that every ace pilot I've ever interviewed grew up with firearms. They were totally familiar with them, respected them and used them to put food on the table in the tough 1930s.

The fact that these old boys already knew what compensating for lead and angle of deflection was in hunting/shooting put them far ahead of the "average" pilot. A goodly number of the Germans hunted the Black Forest and other places in pre-war times too.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
In the middle 1950s when it looked as if there would be supply problems with the SLR (i.e. British produced non-metric FN FAL) a number of No. 4 Rifles (if you see what I mean) were converted to the newly adopted NATO 7.62X51 as a contingency. It was found that the .303 round was superior. I understand that the NATO round has similar ballistic properties to the .30-06. Apart from the longer sight base a Rifle No. 4 is similar to an SMLE.

I'd go with Carebear.

Alan

carebear said:
I
It kinda depends what you'll be doing with the Enfield. If it will just be occasional use (target shooting or hunting) there's no ballistic reason to go to the trouble of a rechamber/barrel.

Modern .303 will do anything a .30-06 can do and, if you are buying rounds in the store or online, the price will be much the same.

I'd leave it as-is. When I get mine I plan to anyway.

:p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
I was going to let the fact that you drank the Glock kool-aid pass, but couldn't without pointing out that if you're likin' Glocks, G-d has abandoned you sinner. :D
Now repent of your plastic dalliance and return to grace. :p
We (Glock guys) do have R. Lee Ermey!:D :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
In comparison the Glock felt like it had shock absorbers built in for the 10mm.
The angle of the grip on glocks is designed to give a strong natural grip, which helps with the recoil, as well as dual springs in certain models.:)

No, I don't work for Glock either!:D Just trust one with my life if that day comes both on the job and off.;)

Ok maybe it helps that they did award me a free Glock of my choice at a Glock sport shooting event, and I am a certified Glock Armorer .:rolleyes:

P.S. I will get a 1911 one of these days, after I finish building my M4 but it will be a plain old Govt. Issue style just like we had in the Army.:D

carebear

I suppose the pro- and anti- gun divide is large enough on this board without introducing the Glock / 1911 schism.

I will just take comfort in knowing that, while you are currently in error and at risk of your mortal soul, in time you will return to the one true faith. :D

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've never had the pleasure of firing a Glock, but I'm sure I'd like it if I did. I usually like to fire my MAB PA-15 (which I posted about back in July). Most of all, I like to fire my classics, my Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" (also posted about that back in July) and my 1940 dated Mauser-produced Parabellum P-08 "Luger".

100_0640.jpg

Longslide models

Diamondback said:
John, try a 10mm 1911 with a 6" barrel next time--I'm told that a longer barrel with shock-bufs on the recoil-system help a lot.
Or, maybe a .45 Super/.450SMC...
The Longslide models seem to be a bit of a rarity in these parts. I would love to have a pair (brace) of longslides and a twin shoulder holster set-up.

(Irv in Billy bathgate has a pair of 45's, and Billy does say Irv can get you out of a problem with them.)

Actually, if you've got a frame with no warranty on it, you can get an aftermarket 6" slide and barrel from a number of sources--I plan to get my slides from Caspian, but that's largely because I have some unusual special instructions and they're pretty much the only real "custom parts" source. (I don't like the aesthetics of the radiusing on a typical longslide's front, so instead of a "stretch at end", I'm thinking to have a 5"-style radius applied for a "stretched in the midsection" effect, which will also add even more forward weight.)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
I've never had the pleasure of firing a Glock, but I'm sure I'd like it if I did. I usually like to fire my MAB PA-15 (which I posted about back in July). Most of all, I like to fire my classics, my Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" (also posted about that back in July) and my 1940 dated Mauser-produced Parabellum P-08 "Luger".

100_0640.jpg
Nice!!:eusa_clap Ya gonna add a P-38 to that collection?

Twitch

I imagine the Luger replica is fun to shoot. The butt angle is said to be ergonomically perfect for aiming the the mechanism has produced some difficult to clear jams I've heard.

Anyhow hope you enjoy it Kilroy.

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Great thread ... and how good to hear folks still talking about the 10mm, Patriarch to the 40 S&W -- i.e., short & weak (just kidding!). When backcountry flyfishing here in Colorado, it's generally a Glock 20 and on rare occasions, a Kimber Eclipse Custom (10mm) that's on my hip and when in the N. Wyoming or W. Montana backcountry, I opt for the 4" S&W 500.

Pictured below, are the crown jewels of my handgun collection (& beneath them, yet another passion) ... in my search for an ideal CCW, I took a friend's Heckler & Koch P7M8 to the range and well, three years later finds me working hard to add a sixth P7 to the fold.

175759537.jpg

Top/clockwise: P7M8 Ltd. Jubilee Edition; P7M13; P7M8; Hardchrome, Chantilly-era P7M8 & lastly, a P7(PSP).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran