Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
I got caught up in the build your own bug about five years ago and ended up building five rifles. I was interested in two specific things, the 6.5 Grendel cartridge and the gas piston systems, I built three Grendels and two in 5.56 using premium barrels, ie White Oak, along with Adams Arms piston units, Gisselle triggers ect, essentially high end guns and have been very happy with the results. Lowers were very easy to assemble for me, uppers a bit more difficult, especially aligning the barrel nuts and on some aligning Daniel Defense forend rails. I took my time and was very careful to align operating rods, or gas tubes so nothing was binding and have had perfect function from the first shot, which is better than I can say for a commercially built upper I had purchased earlier.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I got caught up in the build your own bug about five years ago and ended up building five rifles. I was interested in two specific things, the 6.5 Grendel cartridge and the gas piston systems, I built three Grendels and two in 5.56 using premium barrels, ie White Oak, along with Adams Arms piston units, Gisselle triggers ect, essentially high end guns and have been very happy with the results. Lowers were very easy to assemble for me, uppers a bit more difficult, especially aligning the barrel nuts and on some aligning Daniel Defense forend rails. I took my time and was very careful to align operating rods, or gas tubes so nothing was binding and have had perfect function from the first shot, which is better than I can say for a commercially built upper I had purchased earlier.

The gas tubes are the nerve wracking part for me for some reason. I take my time and go slow amd they have worked fine but i guess because i take my time and go slow is what makes it nerve wracking. How do you like the piston system ones vs the gas opperated?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I have to give credit to the AR for helping me enjoy shooting long guns again. I broke my back and neck 10+years ago and it became very uncomfortable to shoot my full power WW2 rifles. The mild recoil of the AR has let me enjoy this again.

jkingrph

Practically Family
The gas tubes are the nerve wracking part for me for some reason. I take my time and go slow amd they have worked fine but i guess because i take my time and go slow is what makes it nerve wracking. How do you like the piston system ones vs the gas opperated?
I honestly cannot tell much if any difference in operation. The Adams Arms units that I installed have three positions on the cylinder plug where you can adjust gas pressure to the piston for different cycling rates, and one more that is off that converts the rifle to a single shot, requiring manual operation. Everything must be aligned with as much care as a gas tube so the operating rod, which extends through a bushing installed in the gas tube hole does not bind.

The biggest advantage is that gas is not vented into the receiver, so the bolt, carrier and trigger group stay clean.

Willybob

A-List Customer
Have you all seen the new Galil Ace by IWI due out in August? Look it up. I see one in my future.

jkingrph

Practically Family
After carrying an M-16 for 29 years I just can't get into the AR format. Okay for some, but not me.
W

When I was active duty AF, qualified with the M-16 in basic, then the 38 revolver when in OCS. I had a personal S&W K 38 back home so was very familiar with the Combat Masterpiece we used. Then in 10 years active never touched a govt owned firearm. I got back in reserves some years later and immediately had to qualify with the Beretta 9mm, which I did not like. I told some of our enlisted if we ever got to a place where we needed firearms as medics, I would give up my handgun for a M 16 in a heartbeat. At that point I had a Colt H Bar target model of my own at home.

It was fun "building" my own shopping for, selecting and assembling the components. I put together one very lightweight model for my wife, and the rest are heavy models as I never plan to have to carry one for days at a time, in fact two have 24" heavy barrels with muzzle brakes , fully adjustable target type stocks( LOP and cheekpiece) and big heavy target scopes. Those guns probably weigh in at around 11 lbs and are for bench, or varmint use. The others are in what they call a mid length version,in between a GI rifle length and a true carbine length, with mid weight barrels and are quite accurate. I have an older Colt that has a 22" bull barrel installed, that will out shoot a lot of bolt guns. About 25 years ago at the range I had my stock Colt HBar and was outshooting a gentlemen with a new Browning A bolt .243. That was probably the shooter more than the guns and ammo, although I had good handloads that had been tuned for my rifle and do not know what kind of ammo he had that day.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Found my old safari rifle while rummaging around in the loft! :D

not sure what happened to rest of the AM safari outfit?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I'll just say, I like the M-4 M-16/AR-15 Platform. It shoots pretty well, but I guess in the end, I'd prefer my Weatherby .270 Mag if I needed to Make the Shot...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You are not alone! A couple of years ago, after my Mother passed away, I was going through some of her possessions, when I stumbled onto these. She had saved them all these years, I thought they were long gone! Funny thing, I have owned every one of these in full size, either original or replica. The subconscious is a wonderful thing!
%20Joe_zpsdn4vhxdx.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
Deacon, that's a good looking holster you have.

Bushman, I have one of those Airsoft 1911's and I keep it in a WWII Military Flap holster on vintage WWII Webbing just for the appearance. My real 1911's are in the gun safe...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy