Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
Likewise Bob, we're doing fine. I just bought a new truck (edit: and had a pricey few days at tennis camp!) so probably no new shooters for a little while!

Good for you! Least you are getting out and about. I have a literal stack of rifles to sight in. And I cannot get to the range to do it!!!! And don't have a clue when I'll be abLe to. Most all are 30/06's of some kind of variation. Wish I had something new to post! :(.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Same here. With the crises of the last year I haven't so much as popped a cap for months and months. Even the new S&W 41 still sits forlorn in the safe waiting for its hour in the sun. I just returned from Portland (I was house hunting) and couldn't even get out for a day's salmon fishing because I came down with some sort of nasty gastroenteritis. Bleagh! I am, however, giving some thought to having some of the ones I already owned renovated. Anyone know a reliable stockmaker? I'm up for taking my '60's yucky Monte Carlo stocked .404 and giving it a more classic looking set of clothes. If that turns out, I'll have the .319 and the .450 matched to it. Eventually I'll get back to Africa (he said wistfully . . . )

Renault

One Too Many
I can relate Sarge!!! Past three years for us have been rough!

For the sake of the thread, and old pic from several years ago. In happier times. Chasing elk in Colorado. One of my trusty ol' Krag-Jorgensons.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Same here. With the crises of the last year I haven't so much as popped a cap for months and months. Even the new S&W 41 still sits forlorn in the safe waiting for its hour in the sun. I just returned from Portland (I was house hunting) and couldn't even get out for a day's salmon fishing because I came down with some sort of nasty gastroenteritis. Bleagh! I am, however, giving some thought to having some of the ones I already owned renovated. Anyone know a reliable stockmaker? I'm up for taking my '60's yucky Monte Carlo stocked .404 and giving it a more classic looking set of clothes. If that turns out, I'll have the .319 and the .450 matched to it. Eventually I'll get back to Africa (he said wistfully . . . )

AH Yes, S&W 41. That's probably my favorite 22 handgun surpassing my old K 22. Which barrel did you get. I got the long one with the Patridge front sight,then a year or so later I found a field barrel with a red ramp front sight. I probably like that configuration. It seems to balance more like a Colt 1911, although not quite as accurate as the long barrel.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I have the long barrel to use at the range but I will get the shorter version (and probably a pair of field grips) to holster in the unlikely event I want to carry it. I imagine that it would make a very effect small game pistol once I get relocated up north.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I can relate Sarge!!! Past three years for us have been rough!

For the sake of the thread, and old pic from several years ago. In happier times. Chasing elk in Colorado. One of my trusty ol' Krag-Jorgensons.

One of my all time favorite rifles!

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks Stearman. I love that old cartridge. Oldest son always loads me up a box of round nose 220 grain thumpers when I need them. Usually you get no arguememt if you have to shoot something withthem. I think I posted a photo of the old 1895 Winchester, Wifey gave to me in the 30 U.S. Army cartridge.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I've got the guts for a nifty Krag sporter that I want to get assembled some day but right now almost all activities are aimed at moving to Portland in 10-12 months. And I've got a lot of cleaning up to do. :(

Cocker

Practically Family
Took this baby home about two weeks ago:

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=78495920141127175211.jpg

USM1 carbine, built by Saginaw by the end of '43. It has the original flip up sight, as well as high wood hand guard. The only non original part is the 3rd type barrel band with bayonet lug. It was a Christmas gift from my girlfriend, just had to wait for my papers to be issued by the government to pick it up. Also bought a repro para stock, adjustable sight and 30rds mags to built it as a Vietnam war M1 carbine, as seen on a couple pictures.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Took this baby home about two weeks ago:

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=78495920141127175211.jpg

USM1 carbine, built by Saginaw by the end of '43. It has the original flip up sight, as well as high wood hand guard. The only non original part is the 3rd type barrel band with bayonet lug. It was a Christmas gift from my girlfriend, just had to wait for my papers to be issued by the government to pick it up. Also bought a repro para stock, adjustable sight and 30rds mags to built it as a Vietnam war M1 carbine, as seen on a couple pictures.

Was the M1 ever issued with a 30 round mag, or just the M2? (not that you could convert it to selective fire anyway) Either way, it looks great, quite a present.

Cocker

Practically Family
Best present ever, if you ask me ;-)

I don't know if they were issued with the 30rds, but there's pictures of US soldiers in Korea and Vietnam with M1 and M2 with 30rds, as well as some french soldiers in Indochina. I guess most of them must have been M2, but the M1 will do for some fun. Plus, all of the above quoted mods are totally reversible without damaging the carbine.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Best present ever, if you ask me ;-)

I don't know if they were issued with the 30rds, but there's pictures of US soldiers in Korea and Vietnam with M1 and M2 with 30rds, as well as some french soldiers in Indochina. I guess most of them must have been M2, but the M1 will do for some fun. Plus, all of the above quoted mods are totally reversible without damaging the carbine.

Absolutely. My guess is that soldiers with an M1 would gladly pop in a 30 rd magazine if they got their hands on one.

Renault

One Too Many
Nice Carbine Cocker!!! Well done!

The 30 round mag was a US Korea and Vietnam thing. Even tho the M-1 carbine was extensively used by the French in Indochine, it has been generally accepted they didn't get any 30 round mags. I have never seen References to them being used in the Algerian conflict either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot