Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Well I'm up to six 1895's now. I have 4 originals, a Browning from the 1980's and a 100th anniversary 30/06 edition Miroku/Winchester.

I've been doing a lot of trading and cleaning out of the gun safes here lately. Lots of stuff that needed to be moved to new caretakers.

I think if I have the one rebored to .405, I'm good for the ones I've always wanted. Someday I'll pose them all for a family portrait!

Some years back I wanted one in 30-06, and only found one that was priced way beyond my price range. When they came out with the Mirouku/Winchester in .405 Winchester, I got my friend who managed the sporting goods at the now out of business locally owned dept/hardware/sporting goods store. When he called me that "it" was in and I went by "it" was two, a standard and a high grade. I thought for a while and bought both. I put one of the Lyman 21/Providence tool receiver sights on the standard as it had to be drilled and tapped for that.

It's fun to shoot but kicks quite a bit, so I use one of the lace on leather Recoil Ez pads, that also increases width of the buttplate area, which helps quite a bit.

A year or so ago I ran across a gentlemen over at the Ouachita Parish, La pubic range who was having one of the little CZ side by side shotguns converted to .405 Winchester. That should be a hoot, a fast woods gun for deer and hogs.

Renault

One Too Many
Jkingrph,

A good compadre who manages a 40,000 acre game ranch on the Rio Grande in Deep South Texas states that the .405 WCF is ""THEE" top dawg for nilgai! LOL!!! But I'm gonna put one in the sand with this .35!

Deacon,,,,

Heh, heh, heh........

green papaya

One Too Many
Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 auto pistol with parkerized finish, GI black plastic checkered grips, three dot high profile combat sights, flared ejection port, beveled mag well for quicker loading of the magazine, serrated front strap for better grip.

Attachments

• 2016-03-24_122508.jpg
    2016-03-24_122508.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2016-03-24_122729.jpg
    2016-03-24_122729.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 2016-03-24_121719.jpg
    2016-03-24_121719.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 135

jkingrph

Practically Family
Jkingrph,

A good compadre who manages a 40,000 acre game ranch on the Rio Grande in Deep South Texas states that the .405 WCF is ""THEE" top dawg for nilgai! LOL!!! But I'm gonna put one in the sand with this .35!

Deacon,,,,

Heh, heh, heh........

Yeah, I think Teddy Roosevelt liked it for most big game. I suspect a 45-70, especially some of the hotter loads in a good rifle like a Marlin 1895 or one of the repro Winchester 1886 rifles would do an excellent job also.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I think Teddy Roosevelt liked it for most big game. I suspect a 45-70, especially some of the hotter loads in a good rifle like a Marlin 1895 or one of the repro Winchester 1886 rifles would do an excellent job also.
He called the .405, "medicine gun for lions!" It is amazing what some are doing with the good old 45-70 and hot loads. I always shot Trap Door loads in my original 86. While it easily took deer and elk, I never dreamed of taking an elephant with it! Pretty amazing times for firearms!

Renault

One Too Many

Would work. Last one I worked on was shot with a 30/06. That was in January. They are a very Wiley critter. A challenge to still hunt or stalk! I've seen big Bulls pack some lead.

jkingrph

Practically Family
It's hard to beat the old '06. Dad got me my first centerfire in 1963 when I finished high school, a Win 70 featherweight 30-06 via some points he earned in a sales contest with Underwood typewriter co. I still have the rifle and the original Leupold 4x scope I put on it that year

The '06 is probably adequate for anything on this continent, although I would prefer something that makes a bigger hole for some of the big bears, not that I am ever going to hunt them.

Renault

One Too Many
Sarge. Most of the big ranches in Deep South Texas offer a variety of hunts. But most entail a lot of riding in a truck thru the brush and the. A 200+ yard shot. They will try to tailor a hunt to your liking. But as I stated they are a very wary creature! Very much like some of the African stuff youve hunted.

We are blessed to know family down there and can make our own DIY hunts on the acreage. Not large but it has water and we generally still hunt and stalk. Wh have had several instances when we were just riding around and "hey look!!!"

My affair with the big blue bull is very Hemingwayesque to say the least. Someday if I'm able and it's all said and done, I'll write up the story. But it's still a WIP.

Now back to the intent of this thread!!

Let's see more shootin' irons!!

Wells

Familiar Face
Thanks, Deacon! Spanish Mauser's are quite nice. Though, I can't say I'm familiar with Meth lab Mauser's, haha!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Other than a bunch of really sweet Swedish Mausers, my favorites, I have two. One a Yugo , really clean with an elm stock and four digit serial number, one digit shy of 10,000. The other is a not good looking Turkish Mauser. Looks don't mean a lot cause it shoots ok. My wife wanted it because we spent the first two years of our married life over in Turkey while I was in the USAF.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
My only real Mauser is a compilation of bits I had my smith cobble together, cursing all the way he was. Difficult as the building was, there result is a piratical wonder, a 6.5x55 that shoots into a quarter inch when I do my part. I really need to get into some good black/whitetail hunting when I get north so I can use it more often. Elk are so big but I can just about eat a deer by myself over the course of a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran