Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I love to shoot but the problem is ammo is going way too high. Ironically old surplus ammo is easier to get than newly manufactured. I just saw .223 /5.56 for a dollar a round ! Too crazy so I'm hoarding my stash till times get better.

Highlander

A-List Customer
DutchIndo said:
I love to shoot but the problem is ammo is going way too high. Ironically old surplus ammo is easier to get than newly manufactured. I just saw .223 /5.56 for a dollar a round ! Too crazy so I'm hoarding my stash till times get better.

Somewhere I saw a t-shirt that said, "Ammunition the currency of the new millenium".. HMMM...

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Speaking of reloading, I remember friends laughing at me when I scrounged their unwanted brass. I broke a decapping pin after around my 1500th 9mm brass. I still have about 1000 to go and I don't even shoot 9mm anymore. I figure it will be good trading stock.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
DutchIndo said:
Speaking of reloading, I remember friends laughing at me when I scrounged their unwanted brass. I broke a decapping pin after around my 1500th 9mm brass. I still have about 1000 to go and I don't even shoot 9mm anymore. I figure it will be good trading stock.

i'll purchase some 9mm from you :)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DutchIndo said:

I believe you are now morally entitled to one or more self-satisfied "I told you so's".

:D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
My mom and I went shooting the other day. We both took our Hi-point 995 carbines and had a blast.

I have a Rock Mount bipod attached to my 995 as well as a red dot sight/scope as needed. My mom's 995 is just a basic one but she's hoping to get a red dot for it.

First I did some close quarters shooting and magazine changes. Everything went very smoothly. The bipod springs vibrated a bit when the carbine was fired but did not affect accuracy, gun operation or the shooter. The bipod weight also helps keep the muzzle on target and allows for quick target reengagement.

shooting5-21-09003.jpg

I would load one mag up with 4 rounds and the other with 2. Then, with the 4 rounder in the gun I would fire two double taps and, while moving to a new position, eject the empty mag and load the 2 round mag into the gun before firing another double tap. I did several different variations of this drill. The carbine was quick to dump the empty mag and easy to load a fresh one. With the red dot sight all I had to do was point and click and a hole would appear where the dot was at. Perfect accuracy.

shooting5-21-09005.jpg

Next I replaced the red dot with the scope and deployed the bipod. The scope is a Wally World special but is a decent scope for my purposes. After getting it sighted in at 50 yards I set up four clay pigeons on the 50 yard board and loaded four rounds into a mag, one round for each target. A challenge of sorts: four shots, four kills.

shooting5-21-09011.jpg

After getting settled in I let the four rounds fly. The results:
shooting5-21-09010.jpg

The 995 is a splendedly accurate little gun. And fun to shoot! The poor man's AR-15. I've put over 2,000 rounds through mine without a single problem.

Just for kicks and giggles, here's my mom shooting her 995 with brass caught in mid-air!
shooting5-21-09001.jpg

She did well with the iron sights though they strained her eyes a bit, hence the want of a red dot sight.

All in all a great day of shooting!

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
My girls

I have posted pics of my pistols a while back, and now I need to post pics of my long guns. These are my "girls"...from top to bottom

First is an 8mm Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser, aka "Anya". It is a nice shooter, but does have a bit of a bite. All the numbers match except the stock (that's a LLOONNGG story) and I put on Mojo apeture sight.

Second down is an M38 Turkish Mauser, aka "Heidi". This one is in 8mm Mauser caliber as well. It was made at Ankara Arsenal in 1942. It was my first "decosmoline" project and it turned out pretty well, I think. With the longer barrel it balances better for offhand shooting.

Third down is a Marlin 39M .22 rifle, aka "Annie". This one I got for Xmas when I was 12. It will have to be pried from my hands when I die. Not only is it phenomenally accurate out to 75 yards, but it is a fun shooter as well. I call her "Annie" because Annie Oakley used this model in her shooting exhibitions.

Last but not least is a Glenfield Model 10 single shot .22 rifle. This is my daughter's rifle. She is 10 and shoots this with glee. It is accurate, safe, and a lot of fun for her to shoot.

Thanks for looking

070.jpg

Barchetta52

New in Town
thunderw21 said:
Took a friend shooting today. Her first time!

.22 rifle time
n110800350_30397338_247.jpg

'Pirate/Civil War Pose' (her gun is pointed in front of me, not at me)
n110800350_30397339_724.jpg

She also shot my Yugo Mauser and M-1. She liked them but liked the .22 more, as is expected from a beginner (not a fan of heavy recoil). She had a blast, literally!

Looks like fun! Forgive me for saying so, and I mean no disrespect, but she's just adorable. I hope you're still friends.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Here is my Drilling. It is made in Suhl Germany and was my Opas (Grandpa in German) I use it and thus far in one season have only shot two partridge. Problem is I cant see for accuracy with this thing past 100m and there is no chance in hell of getting a scope mounted to it. It is a dbl .12 ga tight and extra tight choke with a .3006 down below.

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02843.jpg

DSC02844.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

And Yes, I know what its worth and still use it.

I think some of you gentlemen may appreciate this web site as much as I do.

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/ourhistory.htm

JJWord

Familiar Face
Perhaps my fellow loungers can help me out with this question. I'm left-handed, but everyone else that I shoot with is a righty. So I'm currently looking for a 20 gauge pump-action shotgun that ejects downward. I've only found Browning BPS, and someone at the sporting goods store mentioned Ithaca used to make them.

Is anyone aware of any other manufacturers of downward-ejecting pump action shotguns?

anon`

One Too Many
DutchIndo said:
I don't suppose you're trading in .30-30, .30-06 or 6.5x54, by any chance? Maybe some .40 shorts? ;)

JJWord said:
Perhaps my fellow loungers can help me out with this question. I'm left-handed, but everyone else that I shoot with is a righty. So I'm currently looking for a 20 gauge pump-action shotgun that ejects downward. I've only found Browning BPS, and someone at the sporting goods store mentioned Ithaca used to make them.

Is anyone aware of any other manufacturers of downward-ejecting pump action shotguns?
I can confirm that Ithaca does/did manufacture such a shotgun. I don't recall the model offhand, but my dad uses one for hunting. Beware, however, that it can be a picky ba***rd, and will not eject Remington shells with any degree of reliability. Oddly, a Winchester or Federal shell of the same length poses no problem.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
JJWord. the clerk at the store was right; Ithaca DID make a downward-eject shotgun. It is called the Ithaca model 37. Unfortunately it is no longer made. Ithaca made them for decades, so they are out there on the used market. They were made in a variety of gauges and variations.

I hope that helps.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy