Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Mike K.

One Too Many
There were a number of threads from elsewhere that were placed in this forum when it was created. Most are in their rightful place here, while others seem a bit out of place. As for this and the other "show us your..." threads, it would seem that The Display Case is the more appropriate forum and I have no explanation for why they're here. I'll see what can be done. :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Mr. Bern is entirely correct. I coach and air pistol and smallbore pistol team, but we practice next to the BB-gun bunch. BB's bounce and it would be a freak set of occurrences to get killed with one, but eyes are fragile. Always wear eye protection when around anyone shooting a BB-gun. Notice I didn't say while shooting one, they don't always bounce straight back.

For a vintage part to this response, the Daisy National Match BB-gun is a single shot, muzzle loaded BB-gun model 499 which greatly resembles a Red Ryder. They come with a Lothar Walther barrel, and are accuate as heck at 5 meters. The National matches are held in Bowling Green Kentucky I believe. If you called Daisy to order one ($120 or UNDER), they would know if you're allowed to have one in New York.

Have fun.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Recently Completed Presentation Case For Dueling Pistols

I've been working on a walnut presentation case for my Charles Moore English Dueling Pistols(Pedersoli Reproductions). The wood is walnut that's been in my Dad's hayloft stored since the first part of the 20th Century. A few photos:
DuelingPistolBoxCompleted3-vi.jpg
and another..
DuelingPistolBoxCompletedEnd-vi.jpg
and one of the key(one of the toughest parts) ...
DuelingPistolBoxCompletedKey-vi.jpg
and the top...
DuelingPistolBoxCompletedTop-vi.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Aureliano said:
I checked with them, you can't have an air gun/CO2 in NYC. Against the law. They told me it'd be WAY easier to get a real gun with permit and all than one of these toys. Oh well [huh] Not the end of the world, I guess. I'd be one of those things that you want but can't have.
Someone was smoking crack when he told you that.
Like I said before drive out to Long Island and purchase it. Easy peasy.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Thank you Colonel, yes it's an oil finish, tung oil then a tung oil varnish wiping mixture. I will hopefully buff some of the shine off of it after it cures a few more weeks. I must say, I am a little proud of it. Built a proto-type box out of pine to make sure the dimenstions were correct etc, then late last winter, started planing down the old walnut, finding pieces that didn't have dry rot was tough, but, got them down, and worked the wood down nice. Putting in the key hold was new for me, but it turned out well. Lining the box, I enlisted a friend that's a quilter (she's good with fabric). I found some wool baize at the local billard sales place(a new take off), and she (my quilter friend)helped me fit it to the box. I used spray adhesive to glue the baize to the partitions etc for the lining. I feel it turned out pretty nice. And it's pretty close to an exact box for the period and the guns. I found one set of Charles Moore pistols on the net, and sort of used the picture as a guide. I will possibly put two brass hooks and studs on each side on the front about an inch in from the corners, ordered them from England. I've also got a piece of thin walnut that I plan to make small lids for the two square corner compartments.

Again, thanks for the nice comment, I am pleased with the outcome.

Rick Blaine

Serial Number 1 Colt SAA

serialno1-1.jpg

Not mine, not by a long shot, but I did get to handle & photograph it for the 1987 auction. One morning I came into work & saw a 'six-shooter' on the table of items to be photographed in the studio at Christies' that day. I picked it up, spun the cylinder, cocked the hammer & practiced my fast draw, just goofing. Then I caught sight of the serial #... >yikes<... I slowly returned it to the table and breathed a sigh of relief.

I had always wondered what became of it when I recently saw a notice it had been auctioned w/ a pre-auction estimate of 500k - 1 mil! Don't know what in ultimately went to, more than the 1/4 mil paid for it in '87, eh?

I have always felt privileged to have seen & handled this unique piece of Americana, still do. I would love to have one of the repros.

Serial no. 1. 6-shot fluted cylinder, 7 1/2-inch barrel with slanted barrel address, “+ Colt’s Pt. FAA. Mfg. Co., Hartford, Ct. U.S.A. +” on top of barrel. Left side of frame with two-line patent marking, “-Pat. July. 25.1871-/-Pat. July. 2. 1872.-” Serial no. 1 stamped on bottom of frame, on triggerguard strap, buttstrap, bottom of breech of barrel, and in ink on grips inside cutout for backstrap. K inspector initial on back of cylinder. 8 on inside curve of loading gate. Pinched top strap forming rear sight, German silver front sight blade. Round ejector rod head, with bulbous contour to loading gate. Blued finish, with case-hardened frame and hammer. Varnished walnut grips.

Condition: Fine. 30% blue, 25% case-hardening. Brown and gray patina with wear. Minor surface pitting. Traces varnish on one-piece walnut grips. Custom-made display case of brown leather, contour-lined in gold velvet, the lid gold-tooled and with gold leaf inscription noting “The First Production Model of ‘The Gun That Won the West’ and The Most Famous Handgun in the World.” Case by Arno Werner Bookbinders, c. 1987.

Note: Sold by Christie’s, May 14, 1987, and pictured on the front cover of the catalogue, featuring firearms “From the Estate of Charles L. Bricker.” Following the auction, the revolver served as the inspiration for a precise miniature replica by the U.S. Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia, authorized by the Colt company. Each example was stamped 1, as on the full-size original.

Provenance: In hands of a retired U.S. Army officer, from 1873 to c. 1920s
Brother of P.G. Barnard (Brattleboro VT) acquired from a drugstore employee, name unknown (in trade for a rifle; P.G. Barnard letter enclosed in documentation accompanying revolver)
Fred P.L. Mills (purchased May 5, 1925, for $4)
John S. duMont (May 4, 1948 to 1955, acquired in trade with Mills, of a Colt Double Barrel Rifle)
Gerald G. Fox (April 6, 1955 to 1961) Gerald G. Fox
Charles Landis Bricker (1961 to May 14, 1987)
Private Collector in California via Greg Martin and U.S. Historical Society (1987 to 2008)

The American Rifleman, “The First Peacemaker,” F.P.L. Mills, p. 29, September 1936.
The Texas Gun Collector magazine, front cover, March 1954 (article on p. 4).
John E. Parsons, The Peacemaker and Its Rivals, frontispiece (1950).
James E. Serven, Colt Cartridge Pistols, p. 54.
James E. Serven, Colt Firearms from 1836, p. 21.
Harold L. Peterson, The Treasury of the Gun, p. 214.
On front cover, in color, of Christie’s East auction catalogue, May 14, 1987, lot 232.
R.L. Wilson, The Colt Heritage, p. 176 (color).
R.L. Wilson, Colt An American Legend, p. 176 (color), including also French, German and Italian editions.
R.L. Wilson, The Colt Engraving Book, volume I, p. 329 (color).
R.L. Wilson, The Book of Colt Firearms, 2nd edition (1993), p. VIII (color).
R.L. Wilson, The Peacemakers Arms and Adventure in the American West, p. 213, (color), including also French, German and Italian editions.
Guns & Ammo, April 1989, pp. 84 -87 (color) with article by Phil Spangenberger, “Worth Their Weights in Gold” featuring no. 1 with the earliest known engraved Single Action, no. 114.
American Rifleman, July 1987, front cover color illustration, with advertisement on p. 11 of “The No. 1 Colt” miniature. Pp. 15 and 17 with illustrations and article, headlined “New Handgun Price Records Set,” and noting: ” . . . the historic handgun became the property of San Francisco gun dealer and collector Greg Martin. Martin paid the highest price ever for a firearm at a North American auction – $242,000 – and said, ‘I think it’s a bargain.’”

The 1987 catalogue description, in typical low-key English style, noted: “Of all Colt revolvers none has earned greater fame than the Single Action Army, the ‘Peacemaker.’ In design and performance, in line and form, no more handsome and practical Colt has been built. From the many makes and types of revolvers which served on the Western Frontier, the Colt Single Action Army emerged as the symbol of the era.” Articles on the sale also appeared in such newspapers as the New York Times, in the antiques column by Rita Reif.
Accompanied by 12 1/2- x 14 1/4-inch book of documentation, with gold-tooled brown leather cover, with collection of photographs, clippings from various books in which Serial No. 1 has been featured, Xerox copies of various letters, including from P.G. Barnard (to John S. duMont) regarding early history of revolver before purchase by Fred P.L. Mills, from F.P.L. Mills to Gerald G. Fox (detailing his purchase of revolver), from John S. duMont to Fox (who traded Colt Paterson no. 985, item #1377 from Gimble Bros. sale, New York and received Serial No. 1 plus no. 246520 Single Action Army with extension stock), and from Fox detailing the trade. Also in documenting book, Xerox copy of F.P.L. Mills’ article in September 1936 American Rifleman “The First Peacemaker.” Xerox copies also enclosed of illustrations of Serial No. 1 in books by John E. Parsons, James E. Serven, H.L. Peterson, and R.L. Wilson. Auction house promotional publication on the 1987 sale and its press release on the event is enclosed, as are copies of articles from the New York Post of May 15, 1987, with article and photo of Greg Martin holding prize revolver “Aw, shoot! Greg’s gun cost 242G,” another N.Y. Post edition with large photo and headlined text “242G duel bags peace of history,” Newsday of same date “Legendary Six-Shooter Is Sold for Six Figures,” and another edition of same paper with picture and article “A Six-Shooter Goes for Six Figures,” and the New York Daily News same date “Colt .45 draws 242G. “The article in The New York Times, May 16, by Rita Reif, was headlined “1873 Colt Revolver Brings Record Price for a Firearm.” The Hartford Courant of May 16 pictured Martin with the revolver, as did the Arizona Republic, Arizona Daily Star, and several other papers – among them trade journals like “Antiques & The Arts Weekly” and Colt Industries corporate publication, “Focus.” The Associated Press sent their article out by wire, appearing in numerous papers across the United States. Also enclosed in the documenting book, the marketing brochure of the U.S. Historical Society announcing the miniature series of the No. 1 Colt .45 Peacemaker.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yep, Rick, I'd have felt the same way had I got to handle #1 of the Colt Single Action Army. What a cool thing. The most recognized (it or the 1911) pistol in the world.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
some more toys

IMG_1477.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1476.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are a few of the toys I get to play with when I get the time.
A Chech VZ-24 1938
M-1 Garand SA 1944
Winchester 30-30 1949
Iver Johnson .22 1910ish
Ruger .22 single six Both cylinders. Gun is all steel including the ejector housing(came off a 1954 ruger).
Argentine 1911A1 (identical to USGI .45) 1959
And of course the typical array of shotguns and small bore rifles.

Very nice guns to all of you. I enjoyed looking at all of them. I drooled over alot of them.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
I hope someone here can shed some light. I've been looking into buying an airsoft bb revolver. My research has left me stumped as to how the heck someone like me, living in NYC, can buy one?
When I was a kid my grandpa, back in south America used to take me shooting at bottles or cans with his real gun. I always loved it and have wanted to do that again with one of this non-lethal guns. Any advise super appreciated.
Thanks-

BBGuns were very popular in your Grandfather's time.
picture_2.png

http://io9.com/5556729/is-this-a-photo-of-an-old+timey-zombie-invasion/gallery/

BTW, you could try to get an airsoft gun, but it cant be too powerful, otherwise its illegal.
I got this info off Wiki, so you might want to investigate:
New York City requires that all realistic toy or imitation firearms be made of clear or brightly colored plastics. Furthermore, New York City makes possession of any pistol or rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air unlawful without a license. See New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(b) and New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(g)(1)(a)[15].
http://www.nysrpa.org/

Highlander

A-List Customer
Single Actions

EMF Company had a "Father's Day" Sale and that included their multi-purpose box. Well after making the Dueling Pistol Box I still plan to make a walnut box similar for my Ivory Gripped Colt Single Actions, but I thought these Mulit-Purpose boxes would work well for some of my other guns. I had to cut the foam under the Velvet to fit them, pretty simple. The Vaqueros:
Pistols2-vi.jpg
The Cimarron Artillery Models (one with US Marshaling) with Tru-Ivory Grips:
IvoryCimarron2-vi.jpg
And my set of Cimarron's with Walnut grips, one a 4 3/4" bbl SAA and the other, their interpretation of the Thunderer:
CimarronSAAandThunderer-vi.jpg

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Undertow said:
Wow, those look great. That AR is tiny, haha. And that .22 is pretty sweet. Who made the .22? Is there a model stamped on the barrel?

It's an old J. P. Stephens. They were used as trainers in WWI to get recruits used to handling a weapon before they used a 30.06.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Everyone,
As said before - in keeping with the theme of The Fedora Lounge let's try to stick to those items relevant to the Golden Era. Please leave the modern AR rifles, concealed carry semi-autos, the medieval swords, shields, etc. to other online forums where they are more appropriate.

Thank you for helping to keep The Fedora Lounge a resource for 1930s-40s vintage and vintage-inspired subjects.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
My apologies to the forum.

But I thought of a question...

For those who carry daily, do you carry a vintage weapon? I realize that I could be walking a fine line, but REALLY I'm trying not to.

Here's my thought process. A vintage firearm will inherently be subject to the ravages of time. That is not to say that a revolver or semi-auto from the 30's or 40's will not function reliably. But all things mechanical are prone to failure, particularly with time. Now I am not one to try to second guess Browning's genius with the 1911 or the rock solid reputation of a Smith and Wesson revolver, but in the infintesimally small chance that you should actually need that firearm, would you feel 100% confident in it? I'm no gunsmith, and I would not feel comfortable with my own ability to fully inspect a 60-80 year old weapon for full safety. For this purpose, is it better to consider a more modern weapon or would you send your vintage weapon to a gunsmith? Or am I just crazy?

Highlander said:
EMF Company had a "Father's Day" Sale and that included their multi-purpose box. Well after making the Dueling Pistol Box I still plan to make a walnut box similar for my Ivory Gripped Colt Single Actions, but I thought these Mulit-Purpose boxes would work well for some of my other guns. I had to cut the foam under the Velvet to fit them, pretty simple. ...
I'm on EMF's email list but missed these boxes. I'd like 1 or 2 for my Vaquerro Bisley & Beretta Stampede. They have stag horn grips...

1961MJS

Hi

Generally, a .38 Special made in the 1930's is probably in just as good shape as one built this year. The new metal is better, the old craftsmanship is usually a little better. More hand fitting back then, usually a simpler mechanism. As long as the bore isn't rusted out, or shot out they're usually fine.

My competition .45 ACP is a 1944 Remington Rand that's been modified somewhat. Stainless beavertail Grip Safety, half rib Bo-Mar rear sight, blued, arched MSH and a different National Match barrel and bushing.

later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy