Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

galahad

New in Town
I have a few......

Brand new here and just trying to introduce myself and my hobbies. I started out with military surplus rifles and kind of got hooked. Most of the rifles shown are SKS's as I own www.sksboards.com and have had the SKS bug for quite a few years.

100_1337.jpg

100_1591.jpg

Philip A.

Familiar Face
As Rathdown rightly points out, and running the risk to deeply displease generations of Hollywood experts (as if anybody cares... :D), a heart shot is not - and by far - an instant kill. In a self-defence situation, the brain shot is usually the only option. Technically, it's a hit to the cerebellum that "switches off" the lights: frontal lobes shots can still leave life in the animal - or human, ask hostage rescue snipers.

Unfortunately, a lot of people finding themselves in a shoot-or-die situation tend to shoot in the "big", i.e. chest. I'd think that this would be even more the case with a bear towering on two legs over the soon-to-be-evening-news outdoor enthusiast...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm kind of sensing that the old joke about carrying a .22 LR for bear defense isn't really a joke. The .22 is to shoot the guy next to you in the leg to slow him down....

Of course this requires the buddy system.

Later

Rathdown

Practically Family
yup... which is why I tend to avoid bear country when they are apt to be their peskiest, and why my preferred "unexpected" bear stopper is a Remington 11-87 with synthetic stock, iron sights, 21-inch barrel, and 5-round extension tube loaded with rifled slugs.

I think the general reason for shooting center mass, as opposed to head shots, is that the center mass is a more stable target area, as opposed to the head, which can (and usually is) bobbing around quite a bit, and therefore is more apt to be missed; certainly in an urban self-defensive situation (as opposed to an unintended incident involving a bear when out hunting) I would advocate center mass shooting when faced with a human assailant. Thinking on it for a moment, I'd also advocate shooting center mass if my assailant accosted me in the woods, or out on the back forty...

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Hi

I'm kind of sensing that the old joke about carrying a .22 LR for bear defense isn't really a joke. The .22 is to shoot the guy next to you in the leg to slow him down....

Of course this requires the buddy system.

Later

Yeah, you do not have to run fast or be faster than the bear. Just faster than your buddy :)

galahad

New in Town
Bears are difficult to kill with ANYTHING. But bears are just as susceptible to capsaicin as humans and can be incapacitated (temporarily) with a good pepper spray gun. There are a few out there now with some pretty decent range and coverage so if I was headed into bear country that would be a pretty decent first line of defense. I'd probably also carry a 12 gauge with rifled slugs.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Bears are difficult to kill with ANYTHING. But bears are just as susceptible to capsaicin as humans and can be incapacitated (temporarily) with a good pepper spray gun. There are a few out there now with some pretty decent range and coverage so if I was headed into bear country that would be a pretty decent first line of defense. I'd probably also carry a 12 gauge with rifled slugs.

This hot lil item here, seems to be able to do the bears routine, and works well at bank withdrawals, crowd control, and comes in handy during the fourth of July when you need some extra noise....nothing like a "nitro express" load to make your day.

Oldsarge

One Too Many

This hot lil item here, seems to be able to do the bears routine, and works well at bank withdrawals, crowd control, and comes in handy during the fourth of July when you need some extra noise....nothing like a "nitro express" load to make your day.

Oh yes! Ballistically there have been no practical advances since 1920. The newer cartridges make more noise, kick more and send out a ge-normous muzzle flash but don't kill any deader than the old ones. I love my .318, my 6.5x55, my .375 and my .404.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hey, looks like a Flobert to me! They are fun!!!!!!!!

Renault

It is actually a fairly old Safari rifle, a Hambrush, Falling Block, in a .470 Caliber Nitro. I do not get a chance to shoot it very often, the rounds are ungodly expensive. $25.00 per round from a special order house (Norma Brand). This is a very rare Rifle, not due to it's age, but that the majority of .470 Caliber Nitro Rifles were a British oriented manufacturer during the time period.

Hambrush made this Rifle, custom order, in 1939.

As an added note, it may be the classification of this Rifle may be "Carbine" or "Brush Rifle" due to it's shorter length.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran