Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Philip A.

Familiar Face
I do not get a chance to shoot it very often, the rounds are ungodly expensive. $25.00 per round from a special order house (Norma Brand).

Good news for you... Several US manufacturers have reintroduced the .470 NE. You can get Federal, Barnes and Hornady ammo for it, the Hornady coming at a "mere" $6.50 per round. Try Midway USA or Cabelas, they have extensive online catalogs.

That Hambrusch looks quite light, must be a handful in the kicking department?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Good news for you... Several US manufacturers have reintroduced the .470 NE. You can get Federal, Barnes and Hornady ammo for it, the Hornady coming at a "mere" $6.50 per round. Try Midway USA or Cabelas, they have extensive online catalogs.

That Hambrusch looks quite light, must be a handful in the kicking department?

Thank you for the information regarding price and location of ammo, I will check into that. I do have a reloading kit for the rounds I do have, but have been a bit nervous about doing that. The person whom sold me this Rifle, explained that if I used the Norma brand, it would reload for me a bit better than a cheaper round, so I have stuck to that for now.

Yes the feedback this 470 gives after the trigger is pulled, sends you as a shooter, a very clear message...package on it's way, express delivery expected!

A few years ago, I used this weapon (along with a Ruger .44 Magnum side arm for back up), to hunt Brown Bear. I am a fairly good shot, but took care as this is a single shot item to use. I was lucky to make my shot, hitting the mark in the chest area at about 70 yards, the Bear dropped after taking only one step in my direction.

That was the most "hair raising" hunt I have ever been on. I required a quick small fire, to heat up some coffee for a instant packet I was carrying, to settle my nerves. Had the Bear not dropped, I would have been required to quickly, in turn, drop the Rifle, and draw the Ruger and pray it would have stopped the Bear.

Fairly large Brown Bear can be a real handful. The fellows I was hunting with at the time, had been on a hunt a year before that one, and witnessed a fellow empty a .30-30 into a Bear and still had the Bear attack him. He was lucky that several of his fellow hunters were able to dispatch the Bear and saved his life.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
No handgun equals the power of a 30-30 Winchester rifle, a caliber that is considered a good general short range deer gun. Repeat, no hand gun equals the power of a 30-30.

Unless said handgun IS .30-30! ;)

lg0000000027_A_1295489866.jpg

BFR .30WCF Revolver http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=BFR30-30 :D

Brand new here and just trying to introduce myself and my hobbies. I started out with military surplus rifles and kind of got hooked. Most of the rifles shown are SKS's as I own www.sksboards.com and have had the SKS bug for quite a few years.

100_1591.jpg

Welcome to TFL Galahad! Nice collection, and I like that the SIG-Sauer holds it's place on the wall next to those beautiful 1911s! (SIG-Sauer p229 and ANY 1911 being my favourite handguns, followed quickly by a Model 29 S&W 4")

BigFitz

Practically Family
Here's my S&W model 29-2 from 1969, 44 magnum.
sw004.jpg

and a S&W Heavy Duty from 1955, 38 special.
P1310008.jpg

a pre-27 from 1954, 357 magnum with service grips from the '20's
rangeday003.jpg

a Combat Masterpiece from around 1952-53, 38 special.
rangeday009.jpg

my lovely little Military & Police snubby from 1958, 38 special. My first vintage gun buy. Saw it, had to have it.
rangeday007.jpg

and last of my revolvers and oldest, an M&P 38 special from the mid '20's with early post war grips.
It's got the correct grips now, just have to take a new pic.
1930smp001.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
Sorry about that 2 hats! I couldn't tell from the photo. Looked smaller to me. I bet that is a beast on both ends with factory loads!

Fitz, You just hardly ever run across those old Smith Heavy duty's any more. I like 'em! Austin Tx PD carried 'em for years!!!! Collectors have snatched 'em all up!!! A nice nickel (4" to boot) pre-war model came thru the shop last Spring. The other smith I work with snatched it up pretty quick!!!!

Renault

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
Now those are revolvers for 'Fedora Guys' BigFitz! - very nice. None of those are candidates of course but with a name like yours I'd be making myself a 'Fitz Special' if I came across a rough looking donor revolver :)

MP

BigFitz

Practically Family
Renault-yeah, I picked up the HD about 5 years ago. Had Goodyears on it and I paid $340. The picture makes it look nicer than it is:(.
Has a few freckles and some scratches under the grips put there by some bonehead:eek: A 4" prewar NICKEL HD would be an awesome piece to have, congrats to you. Oops, just reread your post and noticed the HD didn't go home with you. Sorry about that.

MikePotts if I could find a beatup 1917 or Brazillian to Fitz up, I'd seriously consider it. And as far as guns for "Fedora Guys, the Snubby M&P is my first choice:cool:

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
sw004.jpg

and a S&W Heavy Duty from 1955, 38 special.
P1310008.jpg

rangeday003.jpg

rangeday009.jpg

my lovely little Military & Police snubby from 1958, 38 special. My first vintage gun buy. Saw it, had to have it.
rangeday007.jpg

and last of my revolvers and oldest, an M&P 38 special from the mid '20's with early post war grips.
It's got the correct grips now, just have to take a new pic.
1930smp001.jpg

Those are some great wheel guns. I too love the K-frame snubnoses. I have a 10, 12, 64 as well as a pre 1947 M&P snubby. And BTW welcome to the lounge,

Kirk H.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Ah, the S&W K frames. Along with pre-1960 Colt Pythons, they are my favorite of all favorite hand guns. Some day I'll manage to come up with my own Fedora Gun but until then I can only admire others'. Your collection may be small, but it's prime.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Ah, the S&W K frames. Along with pre-1960 Colt Pythons, they are my favorite of all favorite hand guns. Some day I'll manage to come up with my own Fedora Gun but until then I can only admire others'. Your collection may be small, but it's prime.

I have never had a Python, shot one once a long time ago. I have a small group of K frames, K-38 & K-22, an old Model 10, 38 special 4" barrel, dad had for a house gun. He had one with a 2" barrel I really liked and could shoot well and I had asked him if he did not want it I would buy it. He forgot and sold, literally gave it to a coworker who had no gun. I really liked that 2" barrel and a full K frame grip.

I also bought a couple of heavy barrel fixed sight stainless .357 mags, cannot remember model numbers, one a 2" the other 4", and gave one to the son for a desk gun. I also bought him one of the shrouded hammer models for a carry gun while he was in law school.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
sw004.jpg

rangeday003.jpg

rangeday009.jpg

...M&P 38 special from the mid '20's with early post war grips.
1930smp001.jpg

SmithandWessonModel28-2s.jpg

S&W N frame Highway Patrollman

I would like any of these guns, the only problem is $$$... I've heard many posts on the internet of people who say they picked up any one of these for $50-$120, (Supposedly "police trade-ins") but most of these I've seen going for $400-$900... the model 29 sometimes going above 1k! Any ideas on where I could find one in the "affordable" range?

Last edited:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone... I am asking this for a friend of mine, does anyone know when the last production year for the Izhevsk arsenal in Lublana, Yugoslavia before it was taken over by Izmesh/Klashnikov was? Now I just copied and pasted his question because I don't know what a single thing he asked was! Thank you to anyone that can help!

Kirk H.

One Too Many

I would like any of these guns, the only problem is $$$... I've heard many posts on the internet of people who say they picked up any one of these for $50-$120, (Supposedly "police trade-ins") but most of these I've seen going for $400-$900... the model 29 sometimes going above 1k! Any ideas on where I could find one in the "affordable" range?

It all depends on location. According to your information you are somewhere in Europe and I do not know what the gun laws are in your location. As far as the U.S. goes, many law enforcement agencies trade their guns in usually to the manufacture that they are upgrading with. Here in the southeast the manufacturer usually gives the individual officer a chance to purchase their old service weapon (after clearing it through the BATF). The weapons that are not purchased are then usually distributed to a wholesaler and then they make it to individual gun stores. In some cases police supply stores set up the deal where the agencies purchase the new weapons through them and they take possession of the turned in weapons. The individual officer then has the option to purchase their old service weapon from them within a certain time period. If the weapon is not purchased by the officer the weapon is then put in the used/trade in gun section. In some cases smaller agencies (50 officers or less)trade in confiscated weapons after a judge signs off on the disposition, to the police supply store for store credit to purchase other equipment that they need.
Back in the late 1980s and early to mid 1990’s agencies were transitioning from the revolver to a semi automatic pistol and the police trade in market was flooded with revolvers (The S&W model 10, 36, 49, 64, 65, 66, and 686 being the most in use at that time.). Back then you could pick one up usually in the $100-150.00 range. You can still find some out there but the price is usually in the 250.00 to 400 range now.

Kirk H.

jkingrph

Practically Family

I bought my K-38 for $68, new from K mart but that was back in 1968, Got the K-22 a couple of years later
for $75, from a NCO in our clinic, who had an interest in a pawn shop.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
It all depends on location. According to your information you are somewhere in Europe and I do not know what the gun laws are in your location. As far as the U.S. goes, many law enforcement agencies trade their guns in usually to the manufacture that they are upgrading with. Here in the southeast the manufacturer usually gives the individual officer a chance to purchase their old service weapon (after clearing it through the BATF). The weapons that are not purchased are then usually distributed to a wholesaler and then they make it to individual gun stores. In some cases police supply stores set up the deal where the agencies purchase the new weapons through them and they take possession of the turned in weapons. The individual officer then has the option to purchase their old service weapon from them within a certain time period. If the weapon is not purchased by the officer the weapon is then put in the used/trade in gun section. In some cases smaller agencies (50 officers or less)trade in confiscated weapons after a judge signs off on the disposition, to the police supply store for store credit to purchase other equipment that they need.
Back in the late 1980s and early to mid 1990’s agencies were transitioning from the revolver to a semi automatic pistol and the police trade in market was flooded with revolvers (The S&W model 10, 36, 49, 64, 65, 66, and 686 being the most in use at that time.). Back then you could pick one up usually in the $100-150.00 range. You can still find some out there but the price is usually in the 250.00 to 400 range now.

Kirk H.
I'm actually just living in Europe for a few months, I'll be back in the USA this spring, probably Florida. I was living in Florida last year (which is when I was looking) but most of the guns to be found in pawn shops were semi-autos from the '90s, and very few revolvers, especially Police type... (there were a few "cowboy" guns... but no D/As...)

Any idea where I could find a "police trade-in site/store" when I get back?
I bought my K-38 for $68, new from K mart but that was back in 1968, Got the K-22 a couple of years later
for $75, from a NCO in our clinic, who had an interest in a pawn shop.
Unfortunately for me most of my relatives (the ones likely to give me anything from the '60s) were more "anti-gun" or rather of the thought that "rifles are for hunting, but only LEOs should have pistols, and since we don't hunt..." :( :p My aunt informed me this summer that she gave her husbands ENTIRE gun collection away... just GAVE it! :eeek: And my grandfather's rifle collection went to his son from his first marriage, so... :mad: still gun-less. :p

PS> For any of the Loungers posting here that are in Europe, I'd also be interested for info on getting one here before I go back, I just figure there would be a bigger supply in the US due to many agencies' recent change over from S&W revolvers to modern semi-autos...

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
"Any idea where I could find a "police trade-in site/store" when I get back?"

The good gun biz has,mostly, gone into cyberspace. Try Gunbroker.com, there's nothing they don't have....somewhere! Alternatively if you're ever in Austin TX stop by McBrides Gun Shop, Collectors Firearms in Houston but there has to be an equivilent in Fla. that I don't know of.

MP

BigFitz

Practically Family

Like Mike said, try Gunbroker or Auction Arms, four of the six guns I posted were bought off the net. The Combat Masterpiece was picked up for $300.00 plus $25 shipping and the 29 was $360(got lucky on that one) plus $25. Those prices were the range I paid for all of them but that was 5 years ago too. As far as affordable goes, I have a hard time believing someone bought a servicable revolver for $50. Recently some Smith model 10's came back from Australian police department trade ins and were selling for $269 on line. Can't recall the retailer now but I'll look it up.

Here's a highway patrolman that went for $300 five years ago that I still kick myself for not pursuing. Not necessarily because I wanted a 6" HP but because someone had taken the original grips off and replaced them with the much sought after "Cokes." At the time, 6" HP's were going for about $300 but so were the Cokes! I prime example of someone not knowing exactly what they have.
pix4345438121.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy