Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
The 'Judge' line and now the S&W 'Governor' seem to be a solution in search of a problem.
But it's all marketing and if a niche can be found, profits can be made.
For me I'll stick with my SIG P229's and MK25 I have on order.-Dick

Well, I was mostly just saying that if one wanted a "Governor" type firearm, they could be fixed to look less "fugly"

When I get back to Florida I get to choose between

Rock Island Armory 1911
158470480607625529_ERpylif6_c.jpg

and a SIG-Sauer P229 SAS that my sister-in-law might sell...
158470480607625589_tQA5N815_c.jpg

Both are good firearms (and the p229 is used, so within my price range) but The Wife agreed to one "EDC" gun, and with the hopes of adding:preggers:a new family member this next year, I'm afraid I'll have to stick to that... for now ;)

--
Might be a good time for a humbly offered public service announcement.

To get a self-defense instruction in a murder trial, most states require the defendant to meet both a subjective and an objective standard of fear. In other words, the defendant has to show that he was in fear of his life and a reasonable person in those circumstances would have been in fear of his life. Even then, the jury can find otherwise and convict the defendant. We prosecutors refer to that chain of events as, "one in hell and one in jail".....
AF

In re to Sub/Ob fear, Beware of "Imperfect Self-defense"

"A person who acted in self defense with an honest but unreasonable belief that deadly force was necessary to do so could still be convicted of voluntary manslaughter or deliberate homicide committed without criminal malice. Malice is found if a person killed intentionally and without legal excuse or mitigation."

In other words, like AF said, you may be legaly cleared for shooting someone, but still get tangled in a civil suit that they nail you in because you were afraid but someone else in your position might not have been... even if you win, -$,$$$,$$$.$$
Personally, I'd rather get wrapped up in a court case than watch a loved one get assaulted in front of me and do nothing.. ;)

Anyhoo, just my .2 about it... I suppose I'm just contributing to the :eek:fftopic: :playball: so I'll :brick::focus:shut up now and let us get back to showing off these "deadly beauties"!

p51

One Too Many
Your Dad's creation looks a bit like a Lyle gun. In the 1800s and early 1900s, Lyle guns were used by the Life Saving Service shoot lines from the beach out to grounded ships. Then people stranded on the wrecks could be hoisted ashore.

pic2.jpg

AF
Yeah, it sort of does. It's actually a 1/3 coehorn mortar. He made it that size so you could lob a golf ball with it. I just need to get it out in the open to fire it eventually...

Well, I don't know much about women. I just know that I don't have the energy to handle more than one lol lol lol

Well Tom, there COULD be three or four of them...

Not sure how I'd be able to coach them though...

And these have been very good for business at our gun shop!

Wisconsin enacted three pieces of Legislation last year germane to this discussion.
First the ability to obtain a Concealed Carry License if you meet the requirements. The Law does not address a Civil immunity if you act while carrying concealed with a License and I would suspect that neither does Kansas Law but I have not researched the Kansas Legislation.
The second piece of Legislation is known as the Castle Doctrine Law and removes the burden of proof of intent if you shoot someone that is in your residence or vehicle illegally while of course you are inside. This Law does provide for Civil immunity in this case.
The Concealed Carry Legislation also allows anyone to carry a loaded unconcealed handgun in a vehicle.
The third piece of Legislation removed the requirement for casing a long gun in a vehicle as long as the long gun is not loaded. Welcomed by hunters!
In any event this trio of Legislation along with Wisconsin's own Right to Bear Arms amendment passed a few years ago provides for powerful tools in the fight against crime.
The NRA and the WISCONSIN CONCEALED CARRY ASSOCIATION with Jim Fendry led the way and should be congratulated.-Dick

budrichard

Familiar Face
Well, I was mostly just saying that if one wanted a "Governor" type firearm, they could be fixed to look less "fugly"

When I get back to Florida I get to choose between

Rock Island Armory 1911
158470480607625529_ERpylif6_c.jpg

and a SIG-Sauer P229 SAS that my sister-in-law might sell...
158470480607625589_tQA5N815_c.jpg

Both are good firearms (and the p229 is used, so within my price range) but The Wife agreed to one "EDC" gun, and with the hopes of adding:preggers:a new family member this next year, I'm afraid I'll have to stick to that... for now ;)

--

In re to Sub/Ob fear, Beware of "Imperfect Self-defense"

"A person who acted in self defense with an honest but unreasonable belief that deadly force was necessary to do so could still be convicted of voluntary manslaughter or deliberate homicide committed without criminal malice. Malice is found if a person killed intentionally and without legal excuse or mitigation."

In other words, like AF said, you may be legaly cleared for shooting someone, but still get tangled in a civil suit that they nail you in because you were afraid but someone else in your position might not have been... even if you win, -$,$$$,$$$.$$
Personally, I'd rather get wrapped up in a court case than watch a loved one get assaulted in front of me and do nothing.. ;)

Anyhoo, just my .2 about it... I suppose I'm just contributing to the :eek:fftopic: :playball: so I'll :brick::focus:shut up now and let us get back to showing off these "deadly beauties"!

I have a number of 1911 Colt's in both 38 Super and 45ACP. I also so have two SIG P229's with SIG Nite Sites and a MK25 on order. I shoot the SIG's better than any other handgun. They have been 100% reliable and if the SAS has Nite Sites so much the better.
Take them to a range and decide.-Dick

Kirk H.

One Too Many
The round butt 3" K frames are some of the best guns ever built, still having the full length ejector rods.

Yep, I have always preferred the 3" 65 over the 2 1/2" 19 or 66 for that and the fixed sights. The 3" ones also ballance great and conceal real easy.

Kirk

KilroyCD

One Too Many
A while back I posted some photos of the Nepalese Gahendra Martini project I bought from IMA in October. The photos showed it still covered in 100+ years of grime and dried yak grease (aka "yakolene"). Here it is now all cleaned up. I didn't want to strip the gun and refinish it, I wanted it to retain the patina. I did add a repro lace-on Martini hand guard which actually looks too new, so I'll have to artificially age it.
Picture148.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture151.jpg

Picture147.jpg

I shot those photos at the range while I was sighting in my latest M1 Garand, a June 1941 example:
Picture159.jpg

Picture162.jpg

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I love it! I can't think of a more relaxing Sunday than a round of mortar golf. :thumb: :D
That would be the only kind of golf I think I'd actually enjoy... other than "Summer-Putput" where I teach my bikini-clad wife how to golf! ;) lol
I shoot the SIG's better than any other handgun. They have been 100% reliable and if the SAS has Nite Sites so much the better.
Take them to a range and decide.-Dick

I'm leaning towards the SIG, mainly because 1911s will always be there, but a well taken care of secondhand p229 is rather difficult to find... the only thing is, it was my SIL's first gun, and the one she qualified with for her CCW. I know if it was me, I'd be reluctant to sell it, but she's 5' 4" and 110? so she wants something "more my [her] size, like a Springfield XD-M sub-compact."
SPG%20XDM9389CBHC.jpg

She mentioned before I left that she was thinking to sell her SIG to pay for the XD-M, but we'll see if she still thinks that way when we get back to Florida. [huh]

Kirk H.

One Too Many
A while back I posted some photos of the Nepalese Gahendra Martini project I bought from IMA in October. The photos showed it still covered in 100+ years of grime and dried yak grease (aka "yakolene"). Here it is now all cleaned up. I didn't want to strip the gun and refinish it, I wanted it to retain the patina. I did add a repro lace-on Martini hand guard which actually looks too new, so I'll have to artificially age it.
Picture148.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture151.jpg

Picture147.jpg

I shot those photos at the range while I was sighting in my latest M1 Garand, a June 1941 example:
Picture159.jpg

Picture162.jpg

Very nice. Have you shot the Martini yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot