Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Highlander

A-List Customer
MossyRock, that's one fine 1911. And Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg sports does great things with Ivory (I have a Single Action Colt that he did the grips on).

Great gun, I don't own an engraved pistol(BBQ gun), I guess that's what I ought start saving for.... Thanks for sharing.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
Haven't gone to see the film yet but in the preview he works the bolt beautifully in that scene. Smooth, fluid bolt throw and his head doesn't move.

Definitely have to agree that Mann aims for accuracy in his gunhandling, just watched Collateral again last night in fact.

For the movie Heat, Mann used Andy McNab as a weapons advisor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_McNab

When I watched the movie Bravo Two Zero about McNab's personal experience in the first Gulf War it made me think DeNiro and Kilmer had been schooled by McNab. His statement about "taking the fight to them" summed up my thoughts about Chris and Neil's actions at the downtown bank robbery shootout in Heat.

That was a little off topic I guess so here's a pic of a brace of custom 1911s owned by Texas Ranger Manuel T. "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas. These should fit in with the BBQ Gun Vs. Court Gun topic.

Lone_Wolfs_1911s.jpg

And here's a pic of Lone Wolf's bullet proof vest. This is what Dillinger and the gang would have been wearing....

LW_BP_Vest_3.jpg

Both of these pics were taken at the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas. It's a great museum if you're into classic firearms. They have Frank Hamer's Model 8 and Colt Monitor. I have other pics I can post.

Les

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Ummm... Good choice on the A1 config, but no triggerguards? He was a gutsier man than I, that's for darn sure...

----------------
Now playing: James Hannigan, Frank Klepacki & Timothy Michael Wynn - Floating Island Fortress
via FoxyTunes

I know what you mean about the trigger guards. I've shot thousands upon thousands of rounds from 1911s when I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC and never once did I think if I ground off the trigger guard I could shoot faster.

That was a practice that started between the wars by J. H. Fitzgerald -

The FitzGerald Special or "Fitz Special" started out as modification on double action revolvers. Here's a link to an article by another long time Texas Lawman that goes in to more detail and even covers the 1911s I posted.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmoke/0605/index.html

The 1911s don't look very worn to me; It wouldn't surprise me if they were BBQ guns because they looked fancy and really edgy with the trigger guards cut off. Then again every where Gonzaullas went may have been a BBQ in a manner of speaking.

A guy in our 1930s club used to have a Colt .38 that had been made into a FitzGerald Special; The gun was a beater that was pretty trashed out before he started cutting on it. I don't think he used it much and ened up selling it to a collector.

Les

Akubra

Familiar Face
Story said:
I'd like to see that - who did the conversion, do you know? And are you a member over at the Nitro Express forums?

The conversion was done by persons unknown in Kenya "back in the day"

A friend of a friend had an entire set that he aquired when he was over in Africa teaching in the 70s. Apparently the Game Warden in Uganda was a British WWII vet who had brought back a bunch of war trophy Askiras.
He converted one to 300 H&H, one to 375H&H and apparently one to 485 win mag when he was performing elephant culling in the 60s in the Rhodesia and Uganda. I bought the 458 and now with I grabbed up the whole set.

I don't know what you mean by Nitro Express forums. I am on Accurate reloading, my user name is Honkey.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Mexican BBQ gun

S&W New Model Number 3 in .44 Russian, made around 1879. The story was that this was owned by an older gentleman from Juarez.

I'm waiting on a S&W letter from Jinks and two boxes of black powder cartridges (they're on sale now, BTW).

100_0520.jpg
[/img]

Note the pearl shirt button inlaid in the grip, the significance of which we can only fantasize. Will post when I know how it shoots.

Akubra said:
I don't know what you mean by Nitro Express forums. I am on Accurate reloading, my user name is Honkey.

Check your PMs.

Akubra

Familiar Face
Story,

Apparently I am to much of a FNUG to receive a PM.

I only have 5 posts so far. Also please forgive the typos in my responce. I meant to type I wish I HAD bought the whole set.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can. It is a pretty interesting piece. Very accurate also with 400 grain Remington soft points and Woodleigh Solids.

Akubra AKA Honkey

Wasz

New in Town
Ok so its not exactly classy, but that's not what its built for either. I'm proud of this gun there is a lot of work in it. It is for shooting USPSA competition. Which means its meant to go fast and shoot straight. Oh and one of the things I really enjoy other than shooting is Punisher comics. Hence the deaths head logo.
It's a CZ SP-01 with a list of modifications.

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Wasz said:
Ok so its not exactly classy, but that's not what its built for either. I'm proud of this gun there is a lot of work in it. It is for shooting USPSA competition. Which means its meant to go fast and shoot straight. Oh and one of the things I really enjoy other than shooting is Punisher comics. Hence the deaths head logo.
It's a CZ SP-01 with a list of modifications.

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Great gun the CZ-75. I used to shoot a 9X21 Spingfield P9 which was a CZ-75 in Open Class.

DVC,

Les

anon`

One Too Many
I just realised that I posted a couple of long guns way earlier in this thread, but didn't bother with any of their smaller cousins.

So how about an old CZ, circa 1939?
DSCN1900.JPG

Or a little S&W .22LR Kit Gun from 1954?
DSCN1906.JPG

And my personal favourite, if only for the super-nostalgia of it all, a .41 Short Remington derringer. Serial number is in the hundreds and dates the little bugger to around the mid- to late-1880s if memory serves.
DSCN1903.JPG

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, very nice Derringer. And James West did make the Derringer Famous, with his many hide outs. I think I esp liked all the cool junk he was able to hide in the heels of his boots.

Great gun that little Derringer...

anon`

One Too Many
Thank you all! I don't think that derringer is the most valuable gun I've got, but it sure is the coolest! Best of all, the hinge is intact =)

@ Story~ I've found no ammo at all to date, but for one gentleman who had some of unknown source. Not something I'd be comfortable firing! If you know of any potential sources, do by all means share!

Doublegun

Practically Family
I am in the market for an early (1927-1937) Griffin & Howe Sporter built on a Springfield 1903 action and, of course, chambered in 30-06). Truly a classic American rifle.

Levallois

Practically Family
Doublegun,

I can't afford a G&H but I own a sweet little no-name custom built on a 1903:

Springfieldsporter2.jpg

It has a Greener safety:

Springfieldsporter9.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't own the scope that was on it at one time. I love it.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot