Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Lil' Miss A said:
I get them from Wilkinsons, 5 in a pack for 79p :)

Softish plastic and foam, they dont hurt anywhere near as much as anything else i've tried :D

I use the same ones. They are so cheap and quite comfy. The instructions advise you not to use with setting lotion but ignore that :)

Sophia - In my experience sleeping with any type of roller, not just sponge, takes time for you to get adjusted but after a while it shouldn't feel so bad. Pillow curlers are also an option; I couldn't find them in the UK so had to order them from the US. There are always good old pin curls and rag curlers if you still have problems sleeping with rollers.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
jenny_dreadful said:
Here is my attempt:

jennyhair.jpg

I used sponge rollers with some sort of setting spray gel (the brand was Enjoy), which I have tried again since. It seems to last a couple of days. I'd like to do something more ornate, but my hair is very long and of one length, and I haven't a clue what to do with my bangs!

That's very pretty and you're lucky that it lasts a few days! You may find that adding some layers to your hair might help by adding movement and body. When I had really long hair it was layered and I found that it held curled styles better. For your bangs you could curl it under with a tong, brush through and fix with hairspray, if you're after the Betty look that is. Or you could set it in a row of pin curls or rollers overnight, backcomb and have a roll at the front or even just leave it for a few loose curls.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I did a Google for "pin curls" and found this: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v667/vintagehair/

I think one of the ladies is our Lolita & there is a wealth of inspiration, even though there are no directions.

I'm currently on my 3rd day with a "sleeping in sponge rollers damp set." The first day it was kind of tight, then the next day it was perfect, and today it is a flip.

I set the front by pulling it up & rolling it backwards, then the same with the sides, then in the back I just rolled it up part-way & it ended up making these perfect little sausage curls. I used fewer rollers than usual (and lots of conditioner spray), so it ends up more Dita-esque.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Miss Brill said:
I did a Google for "pin curls" and found this: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v667/vintagehair/

I think one of the ladies is our Lolita & there is a wealth of inspiration, even though there are no directions.

I'm currently on my 3rd day with a "sleeping in sponge rollers damp set." The first day it was kind of tight, then the next day it was perfect, and today it is a flip.

I set the front by pulling it up & rolling it backwards, then the same with the sides, then in the back I just rolled it up part-way & it ended up making these perfect little sausage curls. I used fewer rollers than usual (and lots of conditioner spray), so it ends up more Dita-esque.

There's some great hair in there!

MB when do we get to see pics?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Brill said:

Thanks for the link. It helps to see the rolls on short haired gals. I saw a few lounger's pics.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
I use the same ones. They are so cheap and quite comfy. The instructions advise you not to use with setting lotion but ignore that :)

Sophia - In my experience sleeping with any type of roller, not just sponge, takes time for you to get adjusted but after a while it shouldn't feel so bad.

no those are the ones i've been trying since last year. hmm. maybe i have a soft head!
well anyways. i'm trying them out again in an overnight set, so i shall let you know how it goes!
i've cut my hair since i used them last too so it may work a little better.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Thank you, everyone, for the compliments and for the ideas!!! I'll have to try them! :)

RetroBabydoll, I got my hairpin in Little Tokyo a couple of years ago...in one of those little shops on 1st or 2nd St. It was really cheap, too.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thank you all! Audrey, I put the front in one small roller overnight wound very tight backwards (comfy to sleep in as it's at the front) and take it out carefully in the morning, brushing it with a small round brush to widen it out. Then I pin it with a kirby grip on each side. It doesn't always come out quite as straight as that but it's usually pretty good!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Thank you all! Audrey, I put the front in one small roller overnight wound very tight backwards (comfy to sleep in as it's at the front) and take it out carefully in the morning, brushing it with a small round brush to widen it out. Then I pin it with a kirby grip on each side. It doesn't always come out quite as straight as that but it's usually pretty good!

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try sometime. I'll take pics if I do :)

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
so. i tried one last time with my cheap foam rollers.
and guess what? it wasn't half bad. excuse my fringe i'm trying desperately to grow it out a bit and i can't do much with it. it's too short. ha!

IMG_0105.jpg

and from the back...

IMG_0107.jpg

then i wrapped it up loosely in some foam bendy sticks overnight and brushed it out in the morning to go out for lunch...

again i was suprised at how non frizzy it turned out...

IMG_0123.jpg

now my only problem is- what the hell do i do with my fringe. quite frankly it disgusts me at present.
x

Miss Brill

One Too Many
sophia la shok said:
now my only problem is- what the hell do i do with my fringe. quite frankly it disgusts me at present.
x

Mine disgusts me too. I regret cutting my bangs even more than I do cutting my hair. My bangs are stick straight & if I leave them alone they don't match, but if I curl them they stick way out from my head (I have a widow's peak type cowlick). [huh]

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
sophia, my bangs have just recently passed the stage yours are in. when they were that short, i usually just parted my hair on one side and bobby pinned or clipped the bangs down, and smoothed it with hairspray or gel. now that it's a little longer i can use a curling iron and do a cute cascade-y roll-type thing off to the side. i'm not sure how to describe it though! it works well with the sides pulled back with combs and the rest of it curled. with a small-barrel curling iron and a little practice you might also be able to get the front up into a small reverse roll. i like to roll and pin the longer pieces like normal, then curl and manipulate the shorter pieces into place.

hang in there - it'll be over soon :)

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
ShooShooBaby said:
sophia, my bangs have just recently passed the stage yours are in. when they were that short, i usually just parted my hair on one side and bobby pinned or clipped the bangs down, and smoothed it with hairspray or gel. now that it's a little longer i can use a curling iron and do a cute cascade-y roll-type thing off to the side. i'm not sure how to describe it though! it works well with the sides pulled back with combs and the rest of it curled. with a small-barrel curling iron and a little practice you might also be able to get the front up into a small reverse roll. i like to roll and pin the longer pieces like normal, then curl and manipulate the shorter pieces into place.

hang in there - it'll be over soon :)

aww. thanks sweetie!

i've been trying to roll it both ways but it's just too short. i really hate my forehead too, so i need some hair covering it at least. it's annoying me cos i think i will just have to have a progressively longer bettie fringe. and with some of the styles i've been trying of late- it doesn't quite fit in.
i do need to go purchase a small barrel curler tho.

nb. is the girl named shooshoobaby1 anything to do with you?

shooshoobaby1

New in Town
Sophia,

I don't have anything to do with the other shoo shoo. I didn't really know that she had that name until after I had chosen mine. I just love love love the Andrew's Sisters.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
sophia la shok said:
aww. thanks sweetie!

i've been trying to roll it both ways but it's just too short. i really hate my forehead too, so i need some hair covering it at least. it's annoying me cos i think i will just have to have a progressively longer bettie fringe. and with some of the styles i've been trying of late- it doesn't quite fit in.
i do need to go purchase a small barrel curler tho.

nb. is the girl named shooshoobaby1 anything to do with you?

Sophia,

My fringe is a little longer than yours. It hits the middle of my eye when wet and straight . To get away from the "Bettie Bang", I do a side part and part my bangs right in there. I do a small pincurl with the little bit of hair on the left on the one side. Pin curl the rest in 2 larger curls one behind the other in the same direction. This directs the hair to the side. (You can get an idea of what it looks like from the pic a posted a few pages back in this thread.) pin curls are a good alternative to curling irons if you can set them overnight. I find my style doesn't stay when I use curling irons.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925