Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Ohairas!

>>>I tried my fingerwave mold clips for the first time.<<<

Oh my GOSH! You hair looks flippin awesome, I gotta get me some of these!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I haven't posted anything for a long time...but Nikki, I had to say your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! :)

For those who would kill for authentic wave clamps like those, try Ryler Stylers. They are pretty close to a modern day version of those that Nikki used and will produce a similiar wave and are so much easier to use than the aluminum wave clips!
http://www.amazon.com/Ryler-Stylers...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1199971921&sr=8-1

I use the small ones, because my hair is very short, but I wouldn't recommend the small, unless you have short hair or are going for the "School Marm" look, as they produce a very tight rigid wave. Better to try the medium or large ones.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
RetroMom said:
I haven't posted anything for a long time...but Nikki, I had to say your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! :)

For those who would kill for authentic wave clamps like those, try Ryler Stylers. They are pretty close to a modern day version of those that Nikki used and will produce a similiar wave and are so much easier to use than the aluminum wave clips!
http://www.amazon.com/Ryler-Stylers...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1199971921&sr=8-1

I use the small ones, because my hair is very short, but I wouldn't recommend the small, unless you have short hair or are going for the "School Marm" look, as they produce a very tight rigid wave. Better to try the medium or large ones.
Thanks for the link. I am going to give those a try.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
My hair is quite thick also, but the way these are made I think they would do well on thicker or more corse hair too. Now the Rylers you'd hafta take several sections like you said! I need to practice to see if I can line them up better going around my head.

The Ryler stylers look good for waves alone, but not to get that finger wave "ridge". I wish they would remake these things!!

Thanks everyone!
Nikki

Miss Neecerie said:
Yea...that would be my question about the ones Nikki used...I have -really- thick hair....and always wonder if stuff like that would work...or if i would have to have multiple -layers- of things and then they never line up to make waves... :(

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Ok girls, here's my Chrismtas hair. I tried my fingerwave mold clips for the first time. I'll need to place them differently next time, but I'm really pleased with the first go!
Here's the set, (excuse the no makeup *yucky* )
2155834993_d66c490481.jpg

Pillow rollers,
2155838247_48f35e4cfd.jpg

I slept in this set and woke up about 5am and couldn't take it any longer. I got up and ripped the curlers out and was like WOW, my hair looks good, better take a pic before I go back to sleep and mess it up! Thus, I cut my face out of this pic, lol! Can you believe how much my hair shrunk up!? It's usually just past my shoulders, almost to bra strap in back.
2155875595_81e84e09d4.jpg

2156673934_66e152c1f1.jpg

And Chrismtas Eve, (really ticks me off that you can see thru this sweater in pics, I can't with the naked eye) Blouse and skirt are vintage.
2155592885_e8d5efb10a.jpg

2156662858_dcbb7afa6f_b.jpg

I just got another set of vintage finger wave clips, can't wait to get them in the mail! They are SO fun! I need to buy a mannequin and practice real ones again tho.

Nikki
Those fingerwave clips, are they a special kind? they look different than others I've seen.. Did you get them on ebay?

Also, what setting lotion did you use?

ShortClara

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:
Those fingerwave clips, are they a special kind? they look different than others I've seen.. Did you get them on ebay?

Also, what setting lotion did you use?

OOOH I have fine thin hair! I needs me some of those clips holy COW!!! Beauty!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Lil' Miss A said:
Does anyone know if anything like the Ryler Stylers are available in the UK?

Beautiful hairstyle with those :) Lovely O'haira

I had a quick look on ebay and amazon.co.uk and they only seem to be available on US amazon, but they will ship to the UK and it's not that expensive either.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Mourn With Me Ladies.

I just discovered that my 1940s Turudich book was ruined our apt had a water leak. I hope that if it dries out it will be ok...but all the pages are stuck together. :(

It really isn't that good of a book, but I still liked to flip through it for ideas.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
NoirDame I'm so sorry! What a shame! I agree, the book isn't *that* great, but it IS rare and worth $$$. I hope you are able to use it afterall! I hope nothing else important got ruined! :(

Ok ladies, just to clarify... I did NOT use the Ryler Stylers!

The vintage clips I'm wearing in the photo are TRU-WAVE brand, pat. 1926. They open up like a huge barrett with two prongs that go under your hair. Then there is a slide in the center that you push in after the barrett is in place.
Nikki

anabolina

A-List Customer
NoirDame said:
I just discovered that my 1940s Turudich book was ruined our apt had a water leak. I hope that if it dries out it will be ok...but all the pages are stuck together. :(

It really isn't that good of a book, but I still liked to flip through it for ideas.

I'm so sorry. I've heard that freezing it might help, although that would probably freeze the pages together. Hmmm, probably gotta rethink that advice. Anyway, bummer :(

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Ohairas, your Christmas hair and outfit are just perfect!

I don't usually do the 40s look, but today I felt like doing my hair like this:

2185078857_f77d0b5d67_o.jpg

I also came up with a great and very easy way to do that wave in the front of the hair. I curled all my hair with a curling iron, including the fringe (bangs), and then I did this:

hair.gif

The first picture is what the curling iron I used looks like. I clipped on the iron at the roots of my fringe with the curl going down towards my face, but then I pulled the fringe back over the iron, to make a sharp sort of wave. This might be common knowledge but I thought I'd share:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely darling Johanna! So rather 50's-victorian, lol! Love it! That fur collar with ribbon really looks great on you.
Nikki

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I love it Johanna! I especially like how you did your fringe. One question... Did you curl the whole bang first and then do the root part and set the wave, or did you do the root part/wave set and then curl the rest of the fringe? oh and one more, (sorry!), how did you curl the rest of the fringe?
I just love the do!! You're so cute!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Johanna, your look is perfection! I love how you did your hair. I'm green with envy.
:eek:fftopic: I can never get my lipstick to look that flawless, even with a brush.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Thank you Red and Ohairas! :) Yes, I curled the whole bang section first while I did the rest of my hair. And I curled it away from my face, slightly to the side I think but I don't know if that matters.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Lola Getz said:
Johanna, your look is perfection! I love how you did your hair. I'm green with envy.
:eek:fftopic: I can never get my lipstick to look that flawless, even with a brush.

Thank you! I used a really thin brush for the edges of the mouth.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Johanna I am so jealous of your perfect curls - do you pincurl or use rollers or a curling iron? Or a combination?

I tried two little rolls at the front today... does it work or just look odd? I'm still undecided:

2rolls.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner