Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Hello ladies!! I'm growing out my bangs too!! That's a nightmare!! I had it very short because I really liked Am?©lie Poulain and her style lol!!! But now, my bangs are near the end of my nose, and I pin curl it!!! Like you do pennyseranade and Shooshoobaby!!! I really understand your pain Sophia lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok girls, here's my Chrismtas hair. I tried my fingerwave mold clips for the first time. I'll need to place them differently next time, but I'm really pleased with the first go!
Here's the set, (excuse the no makeup *yucky* )
2155834993_d66c490481.jpg

Pillow rollers,
2155838247_48f35e4cfd.jpg

I slept in this set and woke up about 5am and couldn't take it any longer. I got up and ripped the curlers out and was like WOW, my hair looks good, better take a pic before I go back to sleep and mess it up! Thus, I cut my face out of this pic, lol! Can you believe how much my hair shrunk up!? It's usually just past my shoulders, almost to bra strap in back.
2155875595_81e84e09d4.jpg

2156673934_66e152c1f1.jpg

And Chrismtas Eve, (really ticks me off that you can see thru this sweater in pics, I can't with the naked eye) Blouse and skirt are vintage.
2155592885_e8d5efb10a.jpg

2156662858_dcbb7afa6f_b.jpg

I just got another set of vintage finger wave clips, can't wait to get them in the mail! They are SO fun! I need to buy a mannequin and practice real ones again tho.
Nikki

The Shirt

Practically Family
Nikki- Your hair (and outfit) (and home) looks divine! Honestly I have avoided the fingerwaves because I couldn't see how it would work on longer hair. I love how you blended the waves and curls together. Now I cannot wait to try them. You look beautiful!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tutorial Nikki--your hair really does look a completely different kind of great with the waves, it's amazing.

I love how real we all are on this board--when you said you got up at 5 am 'cause you couldn't stand sleeping in all that anymore? I've done that more times than I could count!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Goldwyn and Shirt, and IOF! Here's a pic of how long my hair really is. Definitely try it Shirt! I think next time I'll bobby pin the curls back to my head fore a more 20's look, like Lolita did that time!
Nikki
2073381470_f990f7d4c8.jpg

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Nikki I love your hair!! Really!! It's very thirties and I love fingerwaves!! I have a question ladies!! I hope you'll help me lol!!!! I need to have a trim/to trim my hair, to have a cut!! How do you cut it, to have beautiful curls after putting hot sticks (which I bought yesterday and I really like them!!)! ahh, I hope you understand!! I mean do you layered it a lot, do you cut a U shape?? Merci infiniment!!!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pennycarrol said:
I need to have a trim/to trim my hair, to have a cut!! How do you cut it, to have beautiful curls after putting hot sticks (which I bought yesterday and I really like them!!)! ahh, I hope you understand!! I mean do you layered it a lot, do you cut a U shape??

I don't know much about the U-shape cut, as my hair's not that long, but I can say from experience (and lots of recommendations here on FL) that curls will always look better with a slightly layered cut!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Nikki!!! I just love how your curls and waves came out!! I've been dying to get my hands on a set of those clamps!! One day! And I love how short it shrunk up on you, it really looks just divine!! Do it again!!!:D :eusa_clap :D hee hee!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
pennycarrol said:
Nikki I love your hair!! Really!! It's very thirties and I love fingerwaves!! I have a question ladies!! I hope you'll help me lol!!!! I need to have a trim/to trim my hair, to have a cut!! How do you cut it, to have beautiful curls after putting hot sticks (which I bought yesterday and I really like them!!)! ahh, I hope you understand!! I mean do you layered it a lot, do you cut a U shape?? Merci infiniment!!!!

I prefer a u shape cut with layers... the curls all seem to fall into place, as in framing the face, etc.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
roots66 said:
Nikki, as I already gushed on flickr, your Christmas pics are beyond divine.

For those of us who haven't been able to get our mitts on vintage fingerwave clips, would these do-dads produce a similar result? Or would they just give more of an '80s-looking crimp?

http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=17&pid=2&lp=1

(I've tried clamps, but all I've been able to achieve were unsightly bumps.)

I have nothing to contribute, just wanted to say I love your screen name! Very clever!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
scunci wave clamps

roots66 said:
Nikki, as I already gushed on flickr, your Christmas pics are beyond divine.

For those of us who haven't been able to get our mitts on vintage fingerwave clips, would these do-dads produce a similar result? Or would they just give more of an '80s-looking crimp?

http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=17&pid=2&lp=1

(I've tried clamps, but all I've been able to achieve were unsightly bumps.)

The only way I think those wave clips work, is on people who have very little amounts and very fine thin hair. Otherwise they are terrible!!!!!!!! I got some off ebay, was all excited and promptly sent them off to good will after one try with them. They are nowhere near comfortable, and I'm not even talking about sleeping in them. Great idea, crappy product.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
~*Red*~ said:
The only way I think those wave clips work, is on people who have very little amounts and very fine thin hair. Otherwise they are terrible!!!!!!!! I got some off ebay, was all excited and promptly sent them off to good will after one try with them. They are nowhere near comfortable, and I'm not even talking about sleeping in them. Great idea, crappy product.

Yea...that would be my question about the ones Nikki used...I have -really- thick hair....and always wonder if stuff like that would work...or if i would have to have multiple -layers- of things and then they never line up to make waves... :(

roots66

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
I have nothing to contribute, just wanted to say I love your screen name! Very clever!

Aw shucks, thanks. Covers my love for both the Mother Road and the ultimate year in '60s pop culture and rock & roll in one fell swoop.

And thanks for the head's up, Red...I'll know to avoid those contraptions if I ever see them in a Rexall up here.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Yea...that would be my question about the ones Nikki used...I have -really- thick hair....and always wonder if stuff like that would work...or if i would have to have multiple -layers- of things and then they never line up to make waves...
[/QUOTE

I have more hair than I know what to do with, and even when it's short/layered/bobbed, the clips just don't have enough grab to get it all evenly.

OHairas, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do those wrap-curl-thingies (technical term) work at all for you guys, like the ones you get from Walgreen's? I'm looking for something that I can do overnight since I don't have much time in the morning for it to dry. mille fois merci!

roots66

One of the Regulars
>>So do those wrap-curl-thingies (technical term) work at all for you guys, like the ones you get from Walgreen's? I'm looking for something that I can do overnight since I don't have much time in the morning for it to dry. mille fois merci![/QUOTE]

If you're referring to the Goody Pillow Soft Rollers that ohairas is wearing in the photo above, I find them terrific! They're very comfortable and they give a fab medium-sized curl, if that's what you're looking for--might not be tight enough for some gals, but it's fine for me. The wires in them seem a little flimsy, but somehow they manage to hold the roller in place quite securely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner