Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What am I doing wrong?

I have naturally wavy hair that takes curl very easily. I can roll my hair, no problem, but I had never tried pincurling it.

Well, last night I pin curled it, slept in it, and took the pincurls out this morning. When I unpinned them, I looked like Medusa with little hair snakes. The I combed out the little snakes, and had a giant afro. I mean, my hair was HUGE. I didn't know what to do and had to go to work so I just twisted the sides back and french twisted the back.

Help? I am sure my technique is flawed but I don't know why!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Frizz is usually an indication that your pin curl sections are too small. You can remedy it by combing a smoothing creme (like Pantene), a small amount of pomade, or a little bit of setting lotion through it. Did you use any setting lotion when you set your hair? I will sometimes end up with frizz if I don't use any (using a tiny bit of pomade combed through your hair beforehand can also help create smoother curls)...also, you might have better luck with rag curlers, because you can take a bigger section and create looser curls.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Here is a picture taken by my good friend Rose at Matilda's Closet, which shows the way I wear my hair down:

47b6db05b3127cce898fddb246e800000015108AatmbRq2ctP

And here is a picture of Lolita and me, taken from another show of hers:

47b6db05b3127cce898f327106c400000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, my sections must have been too small. It wasn't frizzy per se, just really really BIG. I did use pomade as I was twisting the curls.

What about towards the front? I have nose-length bangs in the front, what do I do with those?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
with the hair up front (I'm wanting to try this myself also!) the faux bangs look was really cute, plus, I absolutely love the hairstyle of jitterbug doll in this pic
47b4dd27b3127cce9bdb2e4e226600000015108AatmbRq2ctP

both look fairly easy to do (hopefully!) what I'm needing to do is go out and buy the necessary supplies! :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You pin curl the front, too. Make vertical a row of pin curls (have the curls stand up, rather than lay flat to your head), so that the top of your hair has height. Make sure you are curling the ends smoothly under, and keep each pin curl section pulled taut with even tension. It will give the front section of your hair a perfect 1940s wave, like this:

annhurrell020.jpg

rita_hayworth_gallery_1.jpg

rita_hayworth_gallery_17.jpg

Another quick fix for huge hair is to pop in a few hot rollers--this is what I do when I am not happy with my cold set. It helps to relax the set, and reshape it a bit :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I am definitely not as experienced in hairstyling as some of you gals so I am hoping for some advice/suggestions. I have fairly short hair that is cut in layers. I usually wear it kind of flippy in the back, with long bangs. It is a cute style, but very present-day. I'm a WWII reenactor and I was trying to find a 1940s hairstyle that will work for a dance next Friday with my uniform. I've decided to start doing 40s styles to go with the uniforms. I think it makes things more authentic and makes the uniforms look nicer.

I was able to manage this with a curling iron, bobby pins, and hairspray. I will need to curl the back or something as best I can - it is fairly short. Please excuse the lack of makeup and the usual weirdness of trying to take a photo of yourself! Please let me know what you think - advice/suggestions welcome!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Misc/DSCN0866.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I really like those styles. My hair holds pincurls (any curl, really) very well - but the back really isn't long enough to do much with. My haircut is kind of a flippy Meg Ryan style do - longer top/front/sides with a shorter, flippy back. Like I said, it is cute and I like it - but it is very "present day." Fortunately the top is long enough for me to swoop it up and kind of faux roll it, but I'm not sure about the back. Most of it at the nape is about, maybe 1.5" long? I would love to do the little rows of pincurls back there. I'll have to experiment with it and see what works. Thanks for the idea!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Fortworthgal-when my hair was that short I'd curl the back with a very small barrell curling iron,pencil thin,it may actually be 1/8 of an inch and pin the edges ala' Lucy.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, I'll try that! I think the curling iron I have now is maybe a 1"? It is fairly small but not teeny tiny. I always get nervous curling the back around the nape!

If you make it over to Southside this Friday you'll get to see the fruits of my efforts! lol

magneto

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
Thanks, I'll try that! I think the curling iron I have now is maybe a 1"? It is fairly small but not teeny tiny. I always get nervous curling the back around the nape!

I know this sounds silly, but maybe try what I do: get an old scarf or thin-ish material, wet it and wrap it closely around your neck, and pin it, before wielding the hot iron... I'm clumsy as all heck and would have burnt myself a couple of times if I didn't do that :)

Kaela

Vendor
Gee, everybody's got such great hair styles. I've been up to experimenting some more with my pincurls, it takes me forever to perfect one style of a set before I'll let myself learn a new one! But here's some recent attempts. I think I'm getting the hang of it!
Here's a good set after I slept on it.

042706_1515b.jpg

a set that lasted me three days on a train!
042106_1812a.jpg

after i went back to brown
042806_1059a.jpg

mismatched giant beer and cute pincurls in New York
050306_1450b.jpg

me and a lovely Vermeer
DSCN1724.jpg

in the door of Hotel Chelsea
050306_2100a.jpg

top reverse rolls, my favorite style!
051306_1744c.jpg

051306_1748a.jpg

051306_1751b.jpg

Kaela

Vendor
Disneyland!
DSC00014.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

Tokyo Disney..
DSC00302.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

These are good examples of how I do my hair daily.. but I'm getting bored of the same old thing! I don't know what other vintage styles would look good with my face... so I'm experimenting...

Naama

Practically Family
Kaela, I guess you hear that often, but I just have to say that, you just look so much like Brittany Murphy, it's unbelievable.... ;) And great, great hairdos!

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart