Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lauren... Thank you! :)

Maisie... That is correct -- no real bangs for me. My hair REFUSES to do real bangs. I would love to have those one inch bangs, but sadly, it would fro. The bang area of my hair is about chin length. This was actually quite a hard style for me to achieve because I have a messed up hairline that has 3 widow's peaks (one main one and 2 smaller ones). I set the bangs using a sponge roller and sprayed the heck out of it. After a couple of hours I took out the roller and used my fingers to re-roll it and pin it into place. I then sprayed more and more and more and some more and then I shaped. I also have a huge natural wave on one side of that bang area so it kept indenting and not giving me the full spread that I wanted. Hence all the spray!

Jitterbug... Oh I know! My "bang area" is about chin length and I found this so dang difficult to do! I would love to have real bangs, but my hair putz out on me so I will have to settle for the fake ones. :) I will post that cute one of the 3 of us... not the one where I look porky. :( Did you get the photos I sent to you last night?

MysteryGal... Please post photos after you try it! I found this to be quite a difficult style for me to acheive. My hair did not want to cooperate! I just realized that I confused another person over at my Live Journal from using the word faux. I just meant that I had to fake the bang look since I don't have real ones... I think bang extensions would have been easier! LOL

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Here is the photo of the 3 of us!

I look super chubby here. :( Time for a diet! lol The other 2 look cute so I am posting it anyway!

blondie06c.jpg

16_sparrows

Vendor
LolitaHaze said:
I found this to be quite a difficult style for me to acheive. My hair did not want to cooperate! I just realized that I confused another person over at my Live Journal from using the word faux. I just meant that I had to fake the bang look since I don't have real ones... I think bang extensions would have been easier! LOL

If you set vertical pin rolls, like what is shown in this tutorial it should be a lot easier for you to coax your bangs to go into that roll. I tried that set a few days ago and it was lovely, but I sectioned off too much hair for the bang area so it was too large (a bit like I had a sausage on my forhead!). To avoid this make sure you don't section off too much and make small rolls so the hair holds the curl easier.

The set I linked to is my new favorite! When I do all-over pin curls my hair tends to get too frizzy and I can look like a bridesmaid from an 80s wedding. Bu that "Bewitching Bangs" set gave me just the right amount of curl and they were all smooth. I love it when that happens!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wow! How did I miss those? Kathy, the pictures are amazing! I've always wondered how to do my hair like that as well. Please tell!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
the vertical pin rolls I've totally given up on, the hair just does not want to work with me...it looks like the rolls are somewhat on the small side....I currently have small sponge rollers..do you know if they would do the job just fine or get some bigger ones?

16_sparrows

Vendor
Mysterygal,

I was actually going to try using sponge rollers the next time because the vertical rolls crushed a bit while I was sleeping. So definitely try those!
I have fine hair too and I noticed that smaller rolls work because it takes longer for the curl to work itself out and tends to hold better. If you find it is too tight you can comb it over your hand to loosen it up and then roll it back into position. I would love to see pictures if you try this.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It doesn't really make a difference how the hair is set, even with vertical pin curls--the hair just prefers to go back and up, rather than forward (at least mine does when it gets past six inches.)[huh]

Vertical pin curls are great for adding height and a wave like so:
wilde28.jpg

Or curled bangs like this:
anncloseup470.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I really like the girl's hairstyle in the first picture, on the right...very cute! The last picture, well, it's a bit much, at least for me!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Those are The Wilde Twins--I can't say for sure because of the angle of the picture, but because they are dressed alike, I am pretty sure their hair is just alike, too :)

The second style is just another version of this one:
bettyg2.jpg
47b6da04b3127cce89c0a557321800000005108AatmbRq2ctP

For those who like the rolled bangs, here are a couple more photos:

47b4dd35b3127cceba0394980b820000001610

47b4dd35b3127cceba03fd5a4bec0000001610

And a fluffed 40s bang:
A13.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
My hair has been growing from a very short do. It just reached a decent length last month(just in time for vlv)and I was able to set it on small sponge rollers.
The result wasn't half bad,still the length at my hairline was too short to roll and I found the worlds smallest roundbrush to roll it under.I swear it's no bigger than a straw.
Not the best picture,but it will give you a vague idea:(I'm the plump little one in pink,lol!)

VLV2006009.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
You look darling!! And not plump at all!! If you think that is plump I am going to sock you! Hehehehe :) Was that at Viva this year?

~Lolita

rubyredlocks said:
My hair has been growing from a very short do. It just reached a decent length last month(just in time for vlv)and I was able to set it on small sponge rollers.
The result wasn't half bad,still the length at my hairline was too short to roll and I found the worlds smallest roundbrush to roll it under.I swear it's no bigger than a straw.
Not the best picture,but it will give you a vague idea:(I'm the plump little one in pink,lol!)

VLV2006009.jpg

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Talking about Fake Bangs... Here is one photo of me having one:

I made that one with a foam rat. I rolled the hair forward over the rat and fixed it with a loooot of hairpins and hairspray. I think this makes the bang much more solid and lating longer than a loose bang.

KAT

A-List Customer
got a new one

My new one from today. I tried taking pics of my hair in rollers but it didnt work that well. In my album i posted some pictures about the way i set my rollers.(but not in my hair though lol ) I used the "fab bangs" pattern, but didnt go for bangs.
I used a lot of rollers for this. Next time i will try to explain the pageboy type of hairstyle you gals asked for and i will take more detailed pictures. step by step..

http://public.fotki.com/KATHARINAB/kathy-1/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael