Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Amapola said:
I have enjoyed reading all about hair. I have tried pin curls--my avatar shows them. They came out really frizzy!

In the pictures, I have curled my hair all over with a curling iron, then brushed out the back a little to make it more wavy. For the rolls, I used a John Amico hair product called curling iron texturizer. It sprays on, then the heat activates it. It holds a curl but keeps it shiny. Anyhow, I rolled the curling iron up and left the whole curl intact. while the curl was still hot I rolled it onto one of my daughter's hot sticks and pinned the ends to hold while the curl cooled. Then, I slid out the hot stick after I sprayed the roll into place.

I do have roll questions, though. For the bangs, should they be included in one of the rolls? I felt that my bangs were lackluster, and I wasn't sure what to do with them! The rolls weren't very big, either. I should try the back-combing thing again. I tried once and it was a disaster!

Also, for what activities/events did women wear their hair in rolls? Or,any hair style, for that matter? For example, were rolls every day, or only for evening activities? I would like to come up with a hair style that would be a bit more glamorous on me than the rolls. What do you ladies think?

Here are some pictures of my rolls. I apologize if the images are grainy. I cropped them out of bigger pictures so you could see my hair better.

carrie roll.JPG

carrie roll 2.JPG

carrie roll 3.JPG

Your hair is quite lovely in those photos. From most photos I have seen, rolls were more for events and social engagments. It seemed like daily wear was curly and pinned out of the way. I am no expert though. I could be wrong.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Tin Pan Sally said:
Well, you just keep getting more beautiful.
Brad and I thought about doing a photo session at Matildas when we went to pick up his vintage that didn't sell.

Thank you Sally! Keep lying to me I enjoy it!! I had a lot of fun that day, but it's hard not to when you are surrounded by friends. :)

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
Oh!!! Atomic Blond - thank you thank you for posting the "how to" pics of the roll you did. Finally, that makes sense to me, reading instructions and seeing your pics. Any hair tutorial plus pictures people post would be MOST wonderful and much appreciated.

And all the beautiful styles everyone's posting pics of... you all look gorgeous. I'm totally envious, but I'm practicing! Maybe one day soon...

joyann78

New in Town
HELP!

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I am just really loving the advice and pics. I am in dire need of some help, though. I have tried all the websites and looked at all the instructions over and over again and just cannot seem to get anything right! I am in awe of people who can do this and I am wondering if it is just me that seems absolutely handicapped at it.

I am in a musical starting tomorrow in which I have to do my hair as if it is 1948. We don't have anyone to do our hair, so we have to do it ourselves. I have been trying and trying to do pincurls, rolls, etc. My hair is just below shoulder length and is naturally wavy. I have bangs (which are the only thing I can manage to pincurl right!)

Is there anything anyone can think of to help me? It's so short notice, maybe I can "cheat" somehow to get the look?

Thanks so much!!!

WoeSis

New in Town
joyann78 said:
Is there anything anyone can think of to help me? It's so short notice, maybe I can "cheat" somehow to get the look?

Thanks so much!!!

Hair mousse and hot rollers, doll! Part your hair off to one side, close to your temple. Using large sections of hair, roll the hair around your face towards the front. Roll the rest of the hair toward the back.

When you unroll your hair, use fingers to gently breakup the curls. If desired, pull one side (or both) back into combs.

Easy-peasy!

WoeSis said:
Hair mousse and hot rollers, doll! Part your hair off to one side, close to your temple. Using large sections of hair, roll the hair around your face towards the front. Roll the rest of the hair toward the back.

When you unroll your hair, use fingers to gently breakup the curls. If desired, pull one side (or both) back into combs.

Easy-peasy!

You could also have a snood on hand just incase the back didn't turn out the way you wanted you could just throw the snood on. :)

Trickeration

Practically Family
Okay, I was going to post some of my hair pictures ages ago. But I'd never get around to uploading them. Well, now I have a little time, so here they are. First are some of my daughter's hair, including an attempt at pin curls I did for a 20's dinner she went to. She didn't want them brushed, though, so she has more of a ringlet thing going on.
pict21398ts.jpg
pict21418ua.jpg
pict21429np.jpg
pict18017ow.jpg

Here are mine. Please forgive the shiny face and tired eyes, and the loose strand here and there. I never get around to taking pictures until the end of the night, so the do is usually about 7 hours old and been through a gig and dancing. Also, these are all styles I did in 20 minutes or less.
pict21954qr.jpg
pict23371nt.jpg
pict23421bk.jpg
pict21168il.jpg

Amapola

Familiar Face
Trickeration said:
Also, these are all styles I did in 20 minutes or less.

Wow! 20 minutes or less! I'm so impressed! Your hair looks so great. I love the side/back view picture. Can you tell us your technique for the 2nd/3rd picture's style? I would like to attempt some kind of up-do sometime.

And your daughter is an absolute doll! Look out, world!

PicklePod05

New in Town
"1940's Hairstyles"

Hey everyone, I have recently recieved a CDR of the book "1940's Hairstyles" in its entirety. I promised to share the wealth, so if any would like a copy, let me know!

Amapola

Familiar Face
My internal censor went off later on, after I posted my knee-jerk response to have the CDR. Is this infringing on any copyright? If it's all o.k. then a copy would be nice.
Thanks!

Trickeration

Practically Family
Thanks everyone. I'll try to post a couple of how-to's pretty soon, especially of how I did the back of the "up" do ( I had many people ask about it). I'd just never thought of it before. Just give me a couple of days.

Lauren-It's nice to be back. Our crazy, busy life kept me away for awhile. T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass